X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Novels

Hi!

I need help with a small thing. I want to buy all the books that have been released about SG-1 and Atlantis. But i cant find the early works on any sites. And im not willing to buy it off amazone as its used copies (nope havnt find any new ones).

Can someone please provide me with a site to buy the books from. (prefferebly european).

Thanks

i assume you have tried http://www.stargatenovels.com , the are still selling books published in '04 and are based in the UK
    http://www.stargatenovels.com/bookshop.php
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Play have a good selection as well

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sear...arch&pa=search

http://play.com
      sigpic

Comment

And does anyone know any site that sells from '03 and older?

And PLEASE! if its not to much to ask for.

Can someone list the SG-1 and Atlantis novels? From date please
        Last edited by nightboy42; 28 July 2007, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Well absolutely all of the novels have been collected by me here, but the link you've been given before to StargateNovels.com is a good one. The previous books, written by Ashley McConnell, are subpar and don't really fit very well with the Stargate universe. Unless you really have to read everything, or have to collect everything, then I'd advise you to stay away from them. Also, there's no way you're going to find them new...you'll have to go with Used copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymach View Post
            Well absolutely all of the novels have been collected by me here, but the link you've been given before to StargateNovels.com is a good one. The previous books, written by Ashley McConnell, are subpar and don't really fit very well with the Stargate universe. Unless you really have to read everything, or have to collect everything, then I'd advise you to stay away from them. Also, there's no way you're going to find them new...you'll have to go with Used copies.
            Ah! Okey! Any reasons why i should stay away from them other than they doesnt fit in. How does they not fit in? Just asking questions ^^

And thx btw

Comment

Originally posted by nightboy42 View Post
              And does anyone know any site that sells from '03 and older?

And PLEASE! if its not to much to ask for.

Can someone list the SG-1 and Atlantis novels? From date please

http://www.whona.com/mm5/merchant.mv..._Code=stargate

Comment

Originally posted by nightboy42 View Post
                Ah! Okey! Any reasons why i should stay away from them other than they doesnt fit in. How does they not fit in? Just asking questions ^^

And thx btw
                Well other than the fact that they don't fit very well, they're just not well written at all. The fact that Ms McConnell isn't a Stargate fan is painfully obvious, and she makes numerous mistakes (she even calls Samantha Carter "Amanda" at one point)...they're just not very good.

Anyway, as for things that don't fit...I just didn't like the idea of furry little bears that could alter reality with their minds...or giant preying mantis's who were at war with giant moth's...sadly, both those examples are in 2 of the novels. That having been said, The Price You Pay is actually okay. The only thing that I found messed up about it was the fact that Apophis's Serpent Guards had portable DHD's that fit on their wrists.

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.

Comment

Well other than the fact that they don't fit very well, they're just not well written at all. The fact that Ms McConnell isn't a Stargate fan is painfully obvious, and she makes numerous mistakes (she even calls Samantha Carter "Amanda" at one point)...they're just not very good.

Anyway, as for things that don't fit...I just didn't like the idea of furry little bears that could alter reality with their minds...or giant preying mantis's who were at war with giant moth's...sadly, both those examples are in 2 of the novels. That having been said, The Price You Pay is actually okay. The only thing that I found messed up about it was the fact that Apophis's Serpent Guards had portable DHD's that fit on their wrists.

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.
                  HAHA! Sounds hilarious Maybe i should read them just because they are so bad. Anyway! Now i know wich ones to buy. Thanks for the help

Comment

Well absolutely all of the novels have been collected by me here,

Thanks for that link, I just ordered a bunch of the Fandemonium books, I hope they are as good as the recommendations Ive been getting. i think I will read them in order, even though I suppose that probably isn't necessary.

The only thing I am having a hard time with is whether or not to buy the Rising for the SGA series. I don't really feel the need to read that story again, but the fact that the books are numbered makes me feel like I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                      Thanks for that link, I just ordered a bunch of the Fandemonium books, I hope they are as good as the recommendations Ive been getting. i think I will read them in order, even though I suppose that probably isn't necessary.

The only thing I am having a hard time with is whether or not to buy the Rising for the SGA series. I don't really feel the need to read that story again, but the fact that the books are numbered makes me feel like I need it.
                      There's no need to read them in order, except for 'A Matter of Honour' and 'The Cost of Honour' as they're a duology. The rest of them are set during different seasons and not released in chronological order so I don't know why they're numbered.

I had the same problem with the novelisation of 'Rising' but didn't bother in the end, meant that I could buy another book with a new storyline in it rather than one I can watch at any point.
                      sigpic

Comment

Are the German and French novels you've got on the wiki novelizations of episodes or original books?

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                          Are the German and French novels you've got on the wiki novelizations of episodes or original books?
                          The French ones are just novelizations of episodes (Thor's Hammer and Enigma) with a little bit of information added I believe, but the German ones are original books...though some of them seem to join two episodes together (Invisible Enemies seems to link the Reetou with Cassandra). I've yet to translate all of them, but I'm working on translating the back blurbs for all of them just now.

Comment

The French ones are just novelizations of episodes (Thor's Hammer and Enigma) with a little bit of information added I believe, but the German ones are original books...though some of them seem to join two episodes together (Invisible Enemies seems to link the Reetou with Cassandra). I've yet to translate all of them, but I'm working on translating the back blurbs for all of them just now.
                            Man, now I need to learn German and get these books...

Please let us know when you get those back cover blurps translated!

Where could someone in the states get copies of those books?

Comment

Well, since you all are so interested in the German novels, I'm trying to help you with the translations of the back blurbs. Though these books are not as good or long as the Fandemonium ones and the characterisations is off sometimes and there are errors like going back through the same wormhole you came.

But if you really consider learning German with it then maybe the rather simple language isn't that bad at all. And let's not forget it was a German - Roland Emmerich - who invented the whole Stargate concept in the beginning!

# 1 "Kinder der Götter" (Children of the Gods) by Martin Eisele
                              http://www.amazon.de/Stargate-SG-1-B...7295149&sr=1-5

translation of the back blurb:
                              The movie STARGATE by cult film director ROLAND EMMERICH was a world wide success! Now the Stargate adventures are continued as a TV-series. Read the thrilling novels of best-selling author Martin Eisele who also assisted at the rough draft of STARGATE.

When the serpent god Apophis is stealing hosts for the CHILDREN OF THE GODS from Earth of all planets, General Hammond brings back Colonel Jack O'Neill from retirement. O'Neill returns to Abydos. Daniel Jackson found there in a giant cave system a list of countless stargates at hundreds of planets - the old gods are no longer only phantoms. An incredible hunt from stargate to stargate is starting - across all abysses of space and time!
                              Astra's opinion: Though this is "only" the novelization of the pilot "Children of the Gods" I liked this one very much. It is well written and the author added a few scenes we haven't seen in TV. We can look especially in Jack's mind and how it feels to be responsible for all these people of his mission.

It is a breathless read.

#2 "Der Feind meines Feindes" (The enemy of my enemy) by Wolfgang Hohlbein
                              http://www.amazon.de/Stargate-SG-1-B...7296255&sr=1-3

Surprisingly and brutal an unknown species is invading through the stargate at Earth. O'Neill and his team find themselves in a desperate defense battle. They hope to find help at the mysterious planet Hope. But there they have to make a horrible discovery which breaks the limits of every imagination. Friends become enemies and enemies friends. And at the end it's only about the surviving of manhood...

Astra's opinion: It has been a while that I read any of these books but this one I remember clearly. It was very creepy. They find a space ship and are trying to get it back to Earth, but somehow the ship itself is intelligent. It's changing, and it's a very creepy atmosphere there. It's also about the battle between common sense (= O'Neill's opinion) and the military/political one.

So, of the books by Wolfgang Hohlbein, I would consider this the best.

Just bear in mind that many German fans don't like his stuff since he doesn't seem to know the characters very well. He's much famous for original science-fiction literature, but doesn't seem to be a Stargate-fan as we are.

This was also the book where the getting-back-through-the-same-wormhole took place.

#3 "Kreuzwege der Zeit" (Crossways of time) by Wolfgang Hohlbein
                              http://www.amazon.de/Stargate-SG-1-B...7297058&sr=1-1

Teal'c kills Sha're at a mission, who was the by a goa'uld dominated wife of Daniel Jackson. Despaired Daniel leaves the SG-1-team. But is Sha're really dead? Again and again he sees her in his visions and she urges him to search for the child she got with Apophis. A child, that could be important not only for the future of Earth but the whole galaxy. The Quest for the boy brings SG-1 to the middle of the empire of Sokar, the most powerful goa'uld who even is known in myths and legends of Earth - under the name Satan...

Astra's opinion:

This book is a mix between the episode with Teal'c killing Sha're and the one where SG-1 went to Netu. They search there for the child.

I really have to re-read them all to give you more informations since I don't remember anymore how good these two completely different things matched together.

Martouf is spelled Ma'tuuf and Harsesis is spelled Har'sissis, Tok’ra is spelled Tak’ra and Selmak is spelled Solnak,which I find pretty annoying.

The reviews of the other books will come some other time. Hope I could help a little. As for the links to Amazon.de, you'll have to find out whether or not they ship to USA, but why should they not?
                              Last edited by GermanAstra; 16 August 2007, 11:15 PM.
                              Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Working...
                              X