This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Who DVD releases - US vs UK

So, having turned into quite the Dr Who (and David Tennant!) fan I think I'd like to buy the boxsets for the show

I've looked at amazon UK and US and they both have them - my question is: Does anyone know if they are the same? ie. same extras? Is one significantly better than the other?
    Has anyone bought either of them?

Thanks!

I've got both S1 & 2 (British ones) on that you get video diaries, outtakes and an edited version of all the Dr Who Confidential's

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
      I've got both S1 & 2 (British ones) on that you get video diaries, outtakes and an edited version of all the Dr Who Confidential's
      I own them too. both... they come with the same things... all the episodes... including the Christmas Special, outtakes, and the confidentials... Season two has commentaries from cast, crew, and writers.... I really like the Army of Ghosts Commentary

Comment

I have S1 and S2 (for continunites sake, s27 and s28) on DVD.

They have what Commander Jumper said above although I thought in terms of special features that the s2 boxset was lacking quite a bit. (They could have put the TARDISODES and all the s2 trailers on there at least )

As far as I am aware, the only difference between the region 1 and region 2 versions of s1 was the design of the boxset, which has since been changed for the region 2 version to match the region 1 version.

(Originally, the region 2 version was a large bulky thing designed like the TARDIS. However, the BBC and 2 Entertain kept getting complaints about the boxsets getting damaged within the first couple of months, so this brought about changing the region 2 boxsets to match the region 1 version).

In short,
        Both regions (as far as I am aware) have the same amount of stuff on them. I dont know if Confidential ever aired in America so you will have to take a chance with that, since the region 2 versions of s1 and s2 contain cut down versions of each Confidential episode.

My fingers are tired
        Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Thanks! that helps I haven't seen any of the extra stuff, so I'm really excited about buying them

Comment

One thing I forgot to add on the S2 box set they have the Children in Need special where
            Spoiler:
            The Doctor's regeneration goes wrong and sets up The Christmas Invasion

Comment

If I remember correctly, putting the Children In Need special on there was the result of a fan petition.

They still could have put those TARDISODES on there though.

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Comment

I'm ashamed to admit I don't actually know what these "tardisodes" are This is what happens when you just watch the show on TV

Comment

what's on the tardisodes? i've never bothered watching them. has someone got a link i can follow to watch them?
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Tardisodes were specially recorded trailers for each episode that could only be veiwed on the BBC's Dr Who site or downloaded onto your mobile. The direct link is gone now but they can still be accessed on the series 2/28 episode guide http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episo...06/index.shtml

Comment

Either that, or if they dont work for international users, try YouTube.

Comment

It's been the policy of BBC Worldwide for the past few years that all releases in all regions must be identical (except perhaps in packaging). Essentially they don't want to undermine the UK market by risking UK consumers ordering R1 releases because they prefer the R1 extras.

They have what Commander Jumper said above although I thought in terms of special features that the s2 boxset was lacking quite a bit. (They could have put the TARDISODES and all the s2 trailers on there at least )
                        I don't know if it's a formal thing, or not, but the pattern seems to be that they don't put things on the DVD set that are available for free off the website. Both the TARDISodes and trailers are downloadable from there, so putting them on the DVDs too would be redundant.

As it is, the DVDs have almost five and a half hours of behind the scenes docs and commentaries on every single episode. How many boxsets can say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                          Thanks for the info

Comment

Now that my one friend has gotten me hooked on Dr. Who, I'm contemplating purchasing the DVD's. But I didn't realize just how much more expensive they would be than other shows that I've purchased. (Being in the U.S., Dr. Who is technically an 'import,' which equates to a higher price I guess.) Boo hoo!

Comment

I looked into buying off either amazon.com or .uk, but in the end I trotted out and bought season "2" here in New Zealand - the price worked out very similar, AND I get to spend the next 4 days watching it all rather than waiting!

*chants to self.... I will not get sucked into Who fandom.....I will not get sucked into Who fandom...I will not get sucked into Who fandom.........*

Comment

Working...
                              X