This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cam and Vala discussion thread

I think that the choice of new characters killed stargate. Perhaps it would have been best to just leave it at 3 team members - or maybe a wholly different character was required - another alien or something. But as it is I think the 2 new characters were overall rather lame altho there was some good Daniel/Vala chemistry. Anyone agree with me?

edit - i need a life - this is my 200th post
    Cam and Vala, the [B]characters[/B] killed it
    9.02%
    The [B]writing[/B] of Cam and Vala killed it
    8.79%
    The writing in general killed it
    20.00%
    Increased competition killed it
    2.43%
    Lack of Promotion killed it
    18.96%
    Old Age killed it
    6.13%
    A combination of 4, 5 and 6 did it in
    10.52%
    It died a natural death
    8.79%
    It was never meant to last past season 10
    3.01%
    Other, list below
    12.37%

200,000,000,000% agree with principia man, and you get a green for it!!

Cam is such a poor addition in my opinion its so unbelievable!! He does not at all have any facial expressions. He was great in Farscape, but what happened to him!! I do not like it and think that it has killed the show, I think it went down the bucket ever since, RDA left. Its a sad week for us all. I just hope that another network can pick it up and soon so they can write a good season finale!!
    I HATE SY-FY

Comment

i agree that mitchell was/is very badly written and really doesn't belong or provide anything. the Big3 were also wallpapered in his favor, which doesn't help. vala would be good if she was treated correctly. i think they may be symptomatic of the "restarted" show, but i personally believe they had something to do with it. (not necessarily BB and CB of course.)
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Just a preemptive warning to keep the ACTORS out of the discussion please.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

They should have the Doci and Priors dressed in business suits to look like the corporate executives running Sci-Fi.
          http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
          http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Vala kill it? no way! great character.

As for Cam? sure he's portrayed as a bit of a knob at times, but really the only problem people have with him is that he isn't Jack. Get over it already people! RDA isn't god - he's just some guy who had a cheezy show where he made absurd things out of chewing gum, wire & stuff once upon a time, geez.

jenks - play the ball, not the player. Saying the character sucks is ok as the character is fictional & doesn't have feelings, saying the actor sucks is a personal attack.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
              Why?
              Because it is in the forum RULES:
              Respect Stargate actors and production crew members. This falls under the previous rule -- but it's important to remember that we owe the show's cast and crew at least as much respect as we owe our fellow fans. Criticizing creative decisions is fine; cutting down the people that make the show is not.
              sigpic

Comment

There is a lot more to the cancellation than two characters on SG-1. Did Cam and Vala bring down the ratings of SGA, which are almost as low as SG-1? Of course not. Did Cam and Vala bring down the ratings of the Monday night reruns so that Scifi pulled them out of the schedule? Of course not. Did Cam and Vala bring down the ratings of SG-1 in syndication? Of course not.

Did the high ratings of S9, which included Cam and Vala, cause the show to be renewed last year? Yep!

Bottom line -- there's no way these two characters can be blamed for all of the trouble the franchise is having. And you can't ignore the fact that they were around during Season 9 when TPTB were very excited about how well the show was doing and were able to write a cliffhanger into the Season 9 finale because the show was renewed early enough to do so.

Personally, I think they're the reason SG-1 lasted another two seasons. It could've ended at Season 8, and it didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                  Why?
                  Because some people can't separate actors from characters and while it's fine and dandy to not like certain characters and critique them and the role they play in a show's demise, talking about actors in that fashion is a no-no.

BTW...I KINDA agree with the theme of this thread...but only because Mitchell and Vala were the instruments that were poorly used by TPTB, who I wholeheartedly believe destroyed the show.

Mitchell and Vala could have been written and introduced in such a manner as to be more natural and seamless. They could have been fleshed out better and their involvement in the program could have made more sense. Is this Mitchell's or Vala's fault? No.

The fact is, Ben and Claudia are both great actors. I've seen their work elsewhere and can attest to their acting prowess. So regardless of how deep someone's "feeling the pain" for the show being canceled, it's not their fault either.

IMHO, it is, however, the fault of the decision makers who chose to create the characters and introduce them as they did, to force them to the fore at the expense of the established characters and canon.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Nah, it's all Sci-Fi's fault.

Comment

VALA?? HELL NO!!!!!!

It was Camshaft's sole fault. he brought it down singlehandedly.
                      A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Smashman
                        Vala kill it? no way! great character.

As for Cam? sure he's portrayed as a bit of a knob at times, but really the only problem people have with him is that he isn't Jack. Get over it already people! RDA isn't god - he's just some guy who had a cheezy show where he made absurd things out of chewing gum, wire & stuff once upon a time, geez.

jenks - play the ball, not the player. Saying the character sucks is ok as the character is fictional & doesn't have feelings, saying the actor sucks is a personal attack.
                        Yeah, but that cheesy show was on the air for seven years and was watched by over 13 million in it's final episode; and he successfully lead SG-1 for eight years. He may not be a real god, but fifteen years as a successful lead actor is pretty damn impressive; and with so many fans who worship the ground he walks on; I say he's pretty damn close.

As for Vala and Cam killing Stargate? If anything killed Stargate it was poor writing and Sci-Fi's lack of interest in anything other than a shiny new title. We can't blame the actors for any of that, they were simply doing the job they were paid to do.
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 August 2006, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Because some people can't separate actors from characters and while it's fine and dandy to not like certain characters and critique them and the role they play in a show's demise, talking about actors in that fashion is a no-no.

BTW...I KINDA agree with the theme of this thread...but only because Mitchell and Vala were the instruments that were poorly used by TPTB, who I wholeheartedly believe destroyed the show.

Mitchell and Vala could have been written and introduced in such a manner as to be more natural and seamless. They could have been fleshed out better and their involvement in the program could have made more sense. Is this Mitchell's or Vala's fault? No.

The fact is, Ben and Claudia are both great actors. I've seen their work elsewhere and can attest to their acting prowess. So regardless of how deep someone's "feeling the pain" for the show being canceled, it's not their fault either.

IMHO, it is, however, the fault of the decision makers who chose to create the characters and introduce them as they did, to force them to the fore at the expense of the established characters and canon.
                          Wonderful post!

Comment

Originally posted by principia
                            I think that the choice of new characters killed stargate. Perhaps it would have been best to just leave it at 3 team members - or maybe a wholly different character was required - another alien or something. But as it is I think the 2 new characters were overall rather lame altho there was some good Daniel/Vala chemistry. Anyone agree with me?

edit - i need a life - this is my 200th post
                            i think the *writing* of the new characters was poor. i think how they were brought in and then given carte blanche over the show was wrong.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Change, in general tends to turn people off - so imo, it's more that RDA left then that they added Cam and Vala.

Comment

Working...
                              X