Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE TRUTH: Why Is Torri Higginson Really Leaving?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience of people's willingness to believe what JM says is that it seems to be very much based on their personal preferences/preconceptions. You don't see people suggesting Joe is lying/being vague/deliberately misleading when the answers he gives fit with what the fans in question want to hear... but on the flip side of that, no matter how many times he states something as FACT, some fans are determined to believe that he is lying because the answer he is giving doesn't suit their particular opinion.

Personally, I feel he knows a heck of a lot more about everything stargate-related than any of the fans (I sure hope so, seeing as he's running the show) and we can speculate and guess as much as we like but it doesn't make it true. There are questions he cannot/will not/should not answer, no matter how often he is asked and there are some things over which he is deliberately vague.. and usually with good reason. But teasing us with "maybes" and "possiblies" etc is one thing, outright lying or misleading us, which some folks are claiming he is doing, is another. And without proof of that... I will err on the side of the benefit of the doubt.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LoneReconEagle View Post
      Its been talked enough though different threads and not condensed into one.

Let's sort out the rumors and get the facts.
      • Why is Torri Higginson really leaving?
      • What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving?
      • Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave?
      • Was Torri forced off the show?
      • Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving?
      • What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4?
      • How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro?

When posting/replying, please provide source links to the interview and/or the person's name & job description/title from your source.

Please no character, personal, or actor/ess bashing.

"The Truth Is Out There"

So, let's get to it...
      The only source this has come from is from my mind, so no linkies

The thing is, yes, people want to know the reason behind her leaving/reocurring, but the fact remains that we don't know. We can speculate till our hearts content. But until Torri, her manager or one of the cast producers provide reasons, we will NEVER know. No matter how much we want to. Let me put this question back to those who want to know the reasons behind her leaving. If you were in a very public job, and your hours were reduced, or you were asked to leave would you want the whole world knowing those reasons? I certainly wouldn't, we have no right as fans to ask those questions of an actor/actress even though it may pain us not knowing. It's a private matter between the individual and their boss.

To be honest even if we did know the answer, would that change the way people feel about the situation? I doubt it would. There is so much animosity over this, that people who normally post are hesitant about posting, for fear of getting their opinions blasted into a million pieces. And this is from ALL sides. And while I appreciate that people start these threads to find out answers, the bottom line is unless we hear the full reasons from a reliable source it is all speculative and only continues to drive on the hostility, the hurt or whatever it is people are feeling.

At the end of the day, it's just my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
        Untrue.
        Care to give examples of why then? People happy over the changes does not mean that they are doing it to spite you (paraphrasing some of the comments I've seen from the 'anti s4' people)

Comment

Originally posted by LoneReconEagle View Post
          Its been talked enough though different threads and not condensed into one.

Let's sort out the rumors and get the facts.
          • Why is Torri Higginson really leaving?
          • What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving?
          • Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave?
          • Was Torri forced off the show?
          • Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving?
          • What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4?
          • How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro?

When posting/replying, please provide source links to the interview and/or the person's name & job description/title from your source.

Please no character, personal, or actor/ess bashing.

"The Truth Is Out There"

So, let's get to it...
          Good questions
          *Why is she leaving? TPTB have stated that changes had to be made and in their minds Torri was one of those things.
          *What is the real reason? Beides the fact that TPTB wanted changes Torri herself was unhappy with the writting.
          *Was she unhappy? Yes as stated above she was not content with how they were writting her character.
          *Was she forced out? I doubt it but no one knows.
          *Was Amanda's contract signed before reducing Torri's?
          Yes and no. The decison to get rid of her was during production of season 3 and Amanda had a two year contract. The decison to put Amanda on SGA was done after.
          *What is Torris contract? As far as I know only 4 eps.
          * How will she appear in credits? She won't exept for guest credits.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
            can jm be trusted? i personally wouldn't trust anything he says in that blog as truth. Sure some things are but i can't see as all being facts.
            I belive he can. So far he as done nothing to make me not trust him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              So far he as done nothing to make me not trust him.
              and thats totally fine that you think that, thank you for sharing your opinion as i have shared mine
              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                and thats totally fine that you think that, thank you for sharing your opinion as i have shared mine
                I know you're not a big fan of the new changes but even though we disagree I am glad that we can remain civil about it. I hope I'm right and season 4 will be as good as it sounds.

Comment

Since I've been quoted (and BTW, it's "she", not "he" ), here's the revelant quote and citation.

"I was told right when we wrapped that there would be changes and that it was my choice if I want to come back and do some recurring [work] or walk away," states Higginson. "Weir is an interesting character and if she's up there working, that would be fun to do because it's a great bunch of people in Vancouver. I'd love to go back and revisit so we'll see what happens and go from there."
                  That's word for word from Issue #16 (May/June 2007) of Stargate Magazine, from the article titled "Weir & Now", page 43, last paragraph. Emphasis mine.

My interpretation:

TH was given two choices:
                  A) Go to recurring
                  B) Leave completely.

The option of staying as a regular was never on the table. I think they wrote First Strike in such a way as to accommodate whatever choice she made. But I don't get the feeling from this quote that Torri wanted this. *shrugs* Probably the reason it took so long for JoeM to tell us how many episodes she was in was because they were still negotiating whether she would even return or not.

Honestly, I think they were getting rid of Weir no matter what. I'm not happy about that, and I'm not happy that Carter was selected to replace her, but I think TH being gone was a done deal, no matter what AT decided to do.

Now as for the reasons TPTB made that particular call: I doubt anyone knows but those involved.
                  Last edited by Killdeer; 19 May 2007, 06:30 PM.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                  Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                    Since I've been quoted (and BTW, it's "she", not "he" ), here's the revelant quote and citation.

That's word for word from Issue #16 (May/June 2007) of Stargate Magazine, from the article titled "Weir & Now", page 43, last paragraph. Emphasis mine.

Now as for the reasons TPTB made that particular call: I doubt anyone knows but those involved.
                    And I doubt we wiwll ever know wwhat happend b/c it's confidential and they can't talk about it. I don't think they even are allowed to talk about what happend with MS all those years ago.

Comment

I think what else should be taken into consideration is that plans change. What people seem to think is that when something is said...hmmm, 5 months ago will be in effect within the next 5 months. Things change, plans change, stories change, ideas change. These also need to be considered. One thing can be said by one person---and this could have been fact at the time, but within a period of minutes if not ours, that turns into misinformation because something has occurred to change the direction that was initially going to be taken.

What is then at fault is that people are speaking too soon, that doesn't mean the person is out right lieing. It's much like the post above by JM. He makes two points that reflect this. He couldn't confirm the 4 eps although it was rumored to be the case, but TH was contracted for 3 eps. What if TH couldn't do the fourth ep...then it would be down to three. Now the contract has changed. This is the same thing with PM. There was talk in a meeting of having PM for three episodes rather than just two...of course no confirmation, but there was talk. Now a poster on another thread has said that JM has said that the third ep fell through. Things change and nothing is set in stone until the eps or the season is in play.

Pretty much everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but again as I've said JM has been straight forward on some of his answers. Especially in regards to some of the questions brought forth from the thread starter. Other questions haven't been answered by JM or Torri or whoever else, so there's no real basis to know. And in regards to Torri's response, because we don't have TPTB's full side, then we have a biased view. In some instances as Ali has said it, isn't his place to answer some of the specific questions detailing any of his casts contracts. Not to metnion, what if we did know what was gonig on in the meetings. We really can't change the decisions too much of TPTB and I'm speaking of those that JM himself answers too. We have no clue the pressure or not their forced into.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                      Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                      ps. you need to shake this 'us vs them' mentality you've got going on. As far as I can see the only people perpetuating it are... yourselves.
                      Untrue.
                      Yeah think? Not to get too personal, but the amount of reds I get for stating my opinion when my initial "on topic" post was questioned and I answered...says otherwise. Oh, and let me not forget to mention the idiot who thought it was cute to say to me "why don't you just shut up? you're just trying to get torri fired"!! <---see the accusation (rephrased to be accurate). There is an "us vs. them" mentality that I feel pushed on me, when I posted nothing on the actor. I should list all the reds with the nasty little comments to prove the point. But I'll refrain.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post

My interpretation:

TH was given two choices:
                      A) Go to recurring
                      B) Leave completely.

The option of staying as a regular was never on the table. I think they wrote First Strike in such a way as to accommodate whatever choice she made. But I don't get the feeling from this quote that Torri wanted this. *shrugs* Probably the reason it took so long for JoeM to tell us how many episodes she was in was because they were still negotiating, and I think he's said as much.

Honestly, I think they were getting rid of Weir no matter what. I'm not happy about that, and I'm not happy that Carter was selected to replace her, but I think Weir being gone was a done deal, no matter what AT decided to do.

Figured that was going to be the case, that you're not a he and a she. Oy. I was supposed to put the "s/he" sign, but I forgot.

Yeah, I wasn't wanting to quote you but your post really, since it was relevant to the thread questions.
                      Last edited by vaberella; 19 May 2007, 06:27 PM.
                      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                        Nup, but then again the 'pro fans' aren't coming up with massive conspiracy theories on why something is happening. And what's so personal about it? That I'm not convinced at all by a clearly biased fan's views of what's really going on? It's exactly the same thing that happened in the anti-season 10 thread, which I have exactly the same opinion about.

ps. you need to shake this 'us vs them' mentality you've got going on. As far as I can see the only people perpetuating it are... yourselves.

That's because the pro fans (who are clearly biased in their own way) don't care why the changes are happening . . . they either approve of them or they'll watch anything Stargate so the whys and hows, or the behind the scenes politics, don't really matter.

But for some of us, when we see a good actress like TH being tossed aside and then voila, like magic, AT becomes available to fill the spot, its bound to fire the imagination. And the more TPTB and pro-fans alike protest and say its all a coicidence, the more it strikes some of as as being just a little too convenient.

All I know is, that as a viewer formerly known as casual, I wandered on to this website a few months ago innocently trying to find out when the second half of season three was going to air. Instead I got hit full force by the news that two of my favorite characters were being axed. It changed my view of SGA and the show runners on the spot. Maybe I would feel differently if I knew that either TH or PM had chosen to leave voluntarily . . .it's certainly not without precedent. Rob Lowe voluntarily left the West Wing and I watched 'til the end. But the various reports have more than hinted that neither actor had a choice. Sorry, but that just sucks . . . big ones.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                          That's because the pro fans (who are clearly biased in their own way) don't care why the changes are happening . . . they either approve of them or they'll watch anything Stargate so the whys and hows, or the behind the scenes politics, don't really matter.

But for some of us, when we see a good actress like TH being tossed aside and then voila, like magic, AT becomes available to fill the spot, its bound to fire the imagination. And the more TPTB and pro-fans alike protest and say its all a coicidence, the more it strikes some of as as being just a little too convenient.

All I know is, that as a viewer formerly known as casual, I wandered on to this website a few months ago innocently trying to find out when the second half of season three was going to air. Instead I got hit full force by the news that two of my favorite characters were being axed. It changed my view of SGA and the show runners on the spot. Maybe I would feel differently if I knew that either TH or PM had chosen to leave voluntarily . . .it's certainly not without precedent. Rob Lowe voluntarily left the West Wing and I watched 'til the end. But the various reports have more than hinted that neither actor had a choice. Sorry, but that just sucks . . . big ones.
                          Well as a pro fan I might be biased to AT but that doesnt mean I'm not aliitle leary of the changes. I hat that PM was forced out but as far as I know Torri wasnt happy so it's possible it was mutual on that front. I know how you feel but I just happen to believe it will turn out well.

Comment

So you feel threatened by them because they like the show? You can't "let them win" because if they "win" that means they've liked the show, in contrast to your own not liking the show?

Come on....

Comment

Okay, hang on a second, before this starts getting to a US v them mentality. Because a person is pro season 4 doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have concerns over Torri leaving. It may mean that they have decided that there is nothing they can do about it, and are just going with the flow. Please don't speak for all pro S4 fans or all anti S4 fans...and you know what I really am starting to dislike this for and againts crap! Sorry to be blunt, but why can't a person be a supporter of Torri and Sam, have reservations but is neither for or against?

So getting off topic here. Thanks Kildeer for posting that snippet it's much appreciated as i've not seen it before. I like Torri, and am sad to see her go, changes were made to the character, and from the article Kildeer posted she had a choice. It may not have been the choice anyone wanted, but that was apparently the choices laid out. Doesn't the fact that she decided to stay in SGA say something? If she was that 'pissed off' would you want to stay? I wouldn't want to stay in a place where I wasn't welcome, but the fact is (from that article) that Torri chose to stay, and the only people that are having a problem with it are the fans. Which I completely understand btw, but you have a choice accept it or move on, and accept the fact that we will NEVER know the whole story behind the decisions made.

*gets off her soapbox*

Comment

gahhhh! i hate when i run out of green

Just a little aside ... i don't like to red anyone to me its just unnecessary and hurtful

I have only ever redded two people ever and it was because they redded me first.
                                (I shouldn’t have done it back in retaliation but I was angry, it was petty of me)

And one person I later talked it out and both apologized and I plan on greening that person in the future.

I would rather someone talk to me or pm me if they want, there are just way way to many assumptions being made.

We should be able to be civil but because the subject is near and dear to all of us its not always possible. Redding someone just seems redundant imho? What does it prove? What does it accomplish but more hurt feelings and resentment
                                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Working...
                                X