Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12 34512 ... LastLast

Thread: BC-304 vs. Imperial Star Destroyer

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: Odyssey vs Star Destroyer (unending spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by fugiman View Post
    So your picking the __________ right
    Odessey, if and only if the commanders use something other than the 'fly straight at them and hope we survive' tactic. Otherwise the Star Destroyer will beat the stuffing out of them hands down, 304's just dont have enough endurance for that amount of firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
    It's 'only' multi-gigaton. And those aren't exactly standard issue. And it's highly unlikely that they'd be able to beam one onboard a Star Destroyer, since that vessel has its shields online at all times.

And the Executor wasn't taken out by an X-Wing, it was an A-Wing (and even then, it didn't exactly take out the ship directly, but rather caused a chain of events which resulted in its eventual destruction). What happened was that the Rebellion fleet was ordered to concentrate their firepower on the Executor and were successful in knocking out its shield generator (don't forget just how powerful turbolasers and even standard lasers equipped on fighters are supposed to be in the SW universe). The heavily damaged A-Wing then crashed into the primary bridge, taking out everyone within and thus causing the Executor to lose control of its orbit.

There was actually a secondary bridge onboard the Executor, but before they could divert all primary controls to the bridge, the artificial gravity of the Death Star had already pulled the vessel in, causing it to impact with the stations' surface and thus destroying it. If the Executor hadn't been in such close proximity to the second Death Star, the crew would've been able to reacquire control of the ship and bring it back into the fight.

And I don't recall an asteroid destroying any Star Destroyer in the movies, at least not onscreen.
    http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWbta.html

Euff said.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
    Probably referring to the 2nd episode in season 2 with the Wraith computer virus. Not sure though if the Daedalus still had the ZPM at the time, I thought they'd already installed it in Atlantis.

No it was Echoes

http://gateworld.net/atlantis/s3/312.shtml

They had to stop the sun's rays from wiping out life on the planet so used the Daedalus's shields to deflect them with the help of the ZPM

I disagree

The shields on the Star Destroyer would prevent beaming a nuke and the Star Destroyer has so many weapons on it that I dont think it can miss
    What makes you think we couldn't beam a nuke onboard? And if you've seen how crap shots the star destroyers are and how manuverable the Odyssey is you'll change your mind
    Last edited by .jolinar.; March 29th, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar

I've see a lot of Deddy vs things but I was wondering who would win

Odyssey with Unending Upgrades vs a Star Destroyer from Galatic Empire

I got to go with a Star Destroyer I mean they have tons of fire power and great shields even though it would be a great fight

and lets just that one had the advantage over the other then lets say how meny would it take to beat the other?
    Just how many of these versus involving the Odywank we're going to get now?
    You realize you're talking about a ship that has all sorts of nukes, railguns, full asgard energy beams, full asgard hyperdrive, full asgard shield, time dilation capability, all that powered by a near full ZPM (remember, the thing that can bust so many worlds by simply exploding)?

oddesey

It may be smaller, but its weapons could punch through ori ship shields in a few shots. turbolasers arent that advanced. Heck, the US military can make lasers right now. And the weapons on a star destroyer doesn't do that much damage in ship to ship combat.
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2.../amcopyim0.jpg

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Daniel Re: Odyssey vs Star Destroyer (unending spoilers)

Regular Star Destroyer
    50 heavy turbolaser batteries
    50 heavy turbolaser cannons
    20 enhanced ion cannons
    10 class III tractor beam projectors
    72 Tie Fighers

I think that might punch a hole thorugh the Odyssey

And if thats not enough lets see the Odyssey face a Super Star Destroyer

Super Star Destroyer has
    250 turbolaser batteries
    250 heavy turbolaser batteries
    250 ion cannons
    250 concussion missle tubes
    144 Tie Fighters

So I'm pretty sure the Odyssey would get blown out of the water because they don't have the weapons to match the Star Destroeyer
    Last edited by fugiman; March 28th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Yes they dont have the firepower to stand up to a Star Destroyer if both a standing still and trying to gun the other down but the Odyssey is faster, smaller (hard to hit and the SW turbocannons are notoriously bad at hitting anything smaller then a capital ship), more maneuverable (even harder to hit when flying at 0,5c in evasive patterns), has strong shields for its size (capable of taking severe punishment, atleast enough to get hit by the odd Turbocannon) and to top that off it has both beaming tech which may or may not be usefull and they have very powerful Asgaard weaponry which I personally believe would have no trouble penetrating the Star Destroyers defences in vital areas when using focussed fire.
    The Tie fighters wont be a problem for the Odyssey, the Rail guns are godly for taking out fighters, look at the fights with the Wraith, the only reason figthers become a problem there is due to the fact that the wraith can launch hundreds of darts from a single hive.

Overall I believe that the outcome depends on the captains and crews level of experience but ships are strong in certain areas and weak in others. If Caldwell commanded the Odyssey there would be no doubt who would win though, Caldwell dosnt know the meaning of the word evasive ^^, he is a great character but he sucks as a ship captain.
    On the other hand with Landry and the crew from unending I could very well see the Odyssey coming out victoriously.

Captain

They might be powerful in the SG Universe but the SW Universe it might be nothing.
    You have typed the very reason why this is a REALLY stupid topic. Star Wars never followed ANY kind of realistic physics at ALL, or made any kind of attempt to do so. It was complete "magic", nothing was ever explained and we have no numbers or names for any of the real weapons and shield systems in Star Wars.

For that reason, this comparison is totally pointless.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

The Imperial Star Destroyer is capable of reducing an entire world's surface to slag in an hour. This operation is known as the Base Delta Zero operation and references to it can be found through the Star Wars novels and Expanded Universe.

In order to carry out such a feat, they must have heavy weapons that can deliver multi-gigaton (in fact, teraton-level) firepower. From the movies, we know from the Empire Strikes Back that the Empire was vapourising asteroids with guns that were definitely not their heavy weapons, so even an ISD's lighter guns weigh into the multi-megaton range.

Whilst the upgraded Odyssey does pack weapons that can bust even an Ori ship's shields, she will be going up against a vessel that can not only dish out firepower in what amounts to teraton-level firepower but can also absorb it. ISDs also brim with weapon emplacements so the Odyssey will have a tough time dodging them all. I can see the Odyssey maybe doing some damage to the ISD, but in the end, she'll be destroyed.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
    http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
    http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
    You have typed the very reason why this is a REALLY stupid topic. Star Wars never followed ANY kind of realistic physics at ALL, or made any kind of attempt to do so. It was complete "magic", nothing was ever explained and we have no numbers or names for any of the real weapons and shield systems in Star Wars.

For that reason, this comparison is totally pointless.
    Again, and again and again, same people say the same thing.

Star Wars does not explain their stuff?
    Does it make it less real?

Don't you think that Stargate didn't actually come with in fact far more technimagic over the years? Not counting people with magical powers.

Just screw it. Star Wars is even more realistic than Stargate. It's not because it has the US army or whatever in it that it precludes the fact that it's getting closer to the technobabble levels of Trek.

Star Wars is completely unrealistic in almost every way.
    multi-teraton main weapons?
    The idea of the Death star is the most idiotic thing ever. why create a space station made just for destroying planets if your main ships, which the empire has tens of thousands of, are capable of destroying planets on their own?
    Just one shot from a heavy turbo laser would probably destroy all life on Earth, but yet they need multiple shots to take out ships smaller than a kilometer long.

Star Wars is a great Sci Fi universe, as long as you don't try to make sense of it, because then it just... doesn't make sense.

Regular Star Destroyer
    50 heavy turbolaser batteries (10D)
    50 heavy turbolaser cannons (7D)
    20 enhanced ion cannons (3D)
    10 class III tractor beam projectors
    72 Tie Fighers

I think that might punch a hole thorugh the Odyssey

And if thats not enough lets see the Odyssey face a Super Star Destroyer

Super Star Destroyer has
    250 turbolaser batteries
    250 heavy turbolaser batteries
    250 ion cannons
    250 concussion missle tubes
    144 Tie Fighters

So I'm pretty sure the Odyssey would get blown out of the water because they don't have the weapons to match the Star Destroeyer
    And you think that... how? What about, again, that ZPM that can directly power energy weapons? Just as much as it powers the shield.
    Plus you're citing EU stats from RPG books that have yet to be demonstrated onscreen.

The ISD is utterly toasted. I mean, do people get the meaning of a ZPM powering the ship's systems?
    It's just almost like a magic card, like God filling your weapons with his own personnal angry juices.

Daniel Re: Odyssey vs Star Destroyer (unending spoilers)

The surface of the Executor was dotted with all sorts of weaponry. Its front arc was covered by 200 heavy and light turbolaser batteries, 50 concussion missile launchers, 100 ion cannons, and 20 tractor beam projectors. Its side arcs each boasted coverage by 75 light turbolaser batteries and 50 heavy turbolaser batteries, as well as 75 missile tubes, 50 ion cannons and 10 tractor beam projectors. The rear arc, traditionally the least defended area of a vessel, had an impressive weapons array of 50 heavy turbolaser batteries, 50 missile tubes, and 50 ion cannons.
    Source
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/sta...stroyer/?id=eu

So they have lots of firepower that would destroy the Odyssey. Even if the Super Star Destroyer missed a few shots it would only take one shot to cripple the Odyssey
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Gonna go with the Star Destroyer for the reasons I said the empire would beat the SG universe in the ultimate vs thread.

One on one situation the upgraded odyssey would not be destroy in any situation, it will always come out alive.

Simple reason is whenever they are about to lose, turn on the time dilation device, freeze time, spend months coming up with alternative plan.

Reverse time and put the plan into action.

The upgraded odyssey would never loose in a fight.

The odyssey with out the upgrades from unending went up against a sun and came of out intact.

I guest the asguard would of upgraded odyssey shield with any enhancements they can think of plus made sure they were also top of the line.

So I have to say odyssey would win, with out little struggle, especially with a ZPM on board.

Chief Master Sergeant

Deadalus survived for a few minutes against 9 or ten hive ships and around 30cruisers. As well as thousands of darts. It had a ZPM but no advanced weapons and though it was unable to do damage against such odds the upgraded version would have taken down at least 2 more in teh battle before it had to retreat. Now I'm sure the wraith armada had as much, if not more firepower then a single super star destroyer. All Oddessy would have to do is plug in its handy dandy zpm and go out of phase, pop into phase under neath it and rapid fire its main cannons into the base of the ship. Without a doubt the oddy would escape and a wedge of swiss cheese would be left floating in space.

Oddy wins hands down.

Another note don't missles pass through shields in the SW universe? So Oddy flies in launches a horizon or what not and the SD is down.

Oddessy
    at least 6 asgard beam weapons
    multiple railguns
    Unknown number of nuclear devices
    phase device
    Cloak
    Asgard power core
    asgard shields
    time dilations device
    ZPM

That is a ship built for a tactical god.
    Last edited by Øsiris øf the Øri; March 28th, 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: more info
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../Osirisori.jpg
    "Their victims knew no peace until the Ori came and whispered to them"Sleep for the end draws near"and on that day all will rejoice when the Ori come and lay them low. "

in the SW universe, ships have 2 kinds of shields. ray shields and particle shields. ray shields protect against energy weapons like turbolasers, lasers, ion cannons, etc. particle shields protect against stuff like physical objects impacting the shields and concussion missles/proton torpedoes which detonate upon impact with the particle shields. by far particle shields seem to be the weaker of the two. SW universe shields can take massive amounts of damage from energy weapons before collapsing, whereas they can only take a limited number of proton torpedo/concussion missile hits before collapsing. starfighter squadrons have been known to collapse shield arcs with only 1 volley. considering the number of missiles and their yields being higher than those on starfighters, a cap-ship could unleash a swarm of missles, knock down a shield arc, and pound a hull. the trick is getting close enough to use said missile weapons, which traditionally have had short ranges.
    That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by BlankDots View Post
    You fail to address the issue that a star destroyer has inferior shields. Remember when a x wing was able to penetrate the shields by firing at one spot. Or when a fighter smashed into the bridge, destroyer the executor.
    As one of the resident starwars fans here, let me correct you. In all the novels it has to be a COORDINATED missile barrage from all 12 fighters in an Xwing sqadron hitting the shields at the same time (or within a few seconds of one another) with proton torpedos to knock down that shield. And that would only be one quadrant.

As per my last argument the star destroyer was DESTROYED by an asteriod smashing into it. That said all the odyssey needs to do is fire at one spot, the bridge, continually and break through the shields. Destroying the star destroyer.
    Which episode showed a SD getting destroyed by the bridge being hit by asteroids? I only remember the one captain comming the Executor saying they had suffered serious damage. And after that long being in the asteroid belt, i can understand..

In short the star destroyer has greater firepower but isnt' able to utilize it in time because of its shoddy shields.
    I disagree. I have yet to see any SG weapons destroy a moderate size asteroid in one hit, where the sw weapons do easily (as seen in ESB). As to the beaming nukes over, i doubt that with shields up, it would work.. IMO they would block them, like the jamming wraith do.

so the Star Destroyer would overpower there shields with its numerous firepower (Turboblasters, Ion cannons, Missles, etc......)
    Heck, SW Ion cannons GO THROUGH shields... SO i see no reason why they would not go through SG shields...

Odyssey has a few Gatebusters while the Star Destroyer has tons of weapons that are just as powerful and don't run out after a few shots
    IIRC Each stardestroyer has 60 turbolaser BATTERIES (where there are 4 cannons linked together), as well as 60 heavy ion cannons.. 20 in each arc.
    Thats a lot of firepower coming at ya..

Quote Originally Posted by Arania View Post
    However, if the 304 were to attack from an alternative vector, say direct up underneat or from behind, where defenses are significantly lower (Most of a destroyer's weapons are concentrated on the equatorial ridge and the rear-centre reinforced section behind the hypermatter reactor), then the 304 would probably have an edge if it could hit either the reactor or the engine array.
    I will give you that, though i am not sure the ISD could 'bring it into the hanger bay.. AT most, they would send a few Gama assault shuttles to dock..

Quote Originally Posted by Arania View Post
    Personally, I think the 304 carries the technological capability to either destroy or cripple a star destroyer, but the pilots and commanders dont have the imagination or training to get space combat tactics right. The Empire, although uninmaginative, does have the edge on space combat experience.
    Agreed. Though i could see Oneal, cam or someone else coming up with some cool tactics..

Quote Originally Posted by .jolinar. View Post
    And if you've seen how drap sots the star destroyers are
    Come again??

Quote Originally Posted by NATIK View Post
    smaller (hard to hit and the SW turbocannons are notoriously bad at hitting anything smaller then a capital ship),
    Yes it is smaller, but what is it's size? 500m? that is easily still cap scale. Heck corellian corvetts are only 180m or so, and they still get hit repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by chilapox3 View Post
    The idea of the Death star is the most idiotic thing ever. why create a space station made just for destroying planets if your main ships, which the empire has tens of thousands of, are capable of destroying planets on their own?
    Just one shot from a heavy turbo laser would probably destroy all life on Earth, but yet they need multiple shots to take out ships smaller than a kilometer long.
    The difference there, is a SD can only raise the surface of the planet, and if people are deep underground/protected by shields enough, they will stand upto that bombardment well./ THE DS was made to blow the planet up entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    One on one situation the upgraded odyssey would not be destroy in any situation, it will always come out alive.

Simple reason is whenever they are about to lose, turn on the time dilation device, freeze time, spend months coming up with alternative plan.

Reverse time and put the plan into action.
    Thats assuming they would even have the time let alone the ability to activate that device... Since Ion cannons shut down systems, and they go through shields, i can easily see the Odessy being taken out.

First Lieutenant

I believe the Death Star's primary purpose (well, the first one in any case) was actually to serve as a symbol of the Empire's might as part of Tarkin's Doctrine of Terror ('Fear will keep them in line'). The vast majority of the Imperial fleet was scattered across most of the SW galaxy to keep the various Imperial-subjugated worlds in check, and it would still require a fair-sized fleet of Star Destroyers to devastate most developed planets which attempted an uprising due to the aforementioned planetary shielding (unless they brought along a Torpedo Sphere or two, although those didn't seem to be too commonplace in the fleet). And even then, there were still a number of ways to successfully defend against a small fleet of Star Destroyers, such as the surface hypervelocity cannon or the ion cannon battery as shown in ESB.

That's where the Death Star came in. It was bigger than anything the Empire had ever constructed up to that point in time, was capable of interestellar travel and could pop up without warning in any star system and blow a world or two to bits in very little time with its superlaser, which was more than powerful enough to punch right through the planetary shield. As such, any worlds which were planning to rebel, no matter how well developed, would have second thoughts about doing so even without an actual Imperial presence in the system to keep them in check.