This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancients healing powers?

The ancients healing powers is all well and good but do they have more physical powers, in frozen i think sam said something about the ancient they found being able to use more of her brain, there is no evedence to support this theory but i think its acceptable seen as though they can swap white blood cells through the air.

also the ancients came from earth i cant say this enough!!!!!!!!

Actually, We have no evidence to support that they came from Earth. It is very likely that they used the continent of Antarctica as a capital of their empire, perhaps after the destruction of their homeworld (Again, speculation. Hopefully we'll learn more later in the Atlantis Series about the history of the ancients)

Humans use all of their brains. The '10%' myth is a complete lie.

So, in using 'more' of her brain, you'd have to realize that her brain would be nothing like ours.
    sigpic

Comment

The 10% thing is not a lie.

Its the truth. It doesn't hold us back any though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivan
        The 10% thing is not a lie.

Its the truth. It doesn't hold us back any though.
        I beg to differ! I really don't think our race has come that far at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          Actually, We have no evidence to support that they came from Earth. It is very likely that they used the continent of Antarctica as a capital of their empire, perhaps after the destruction of their homeworld (Again, speculation. Hopefully we'll learn more later in the Atlantis Series about the history of the ancients)

So, in using 'more' of her brain, you'd have to realize that her brain would be nothing like ours.
          Humans use all of their brains??

That's absurd.

We don't have evidence to support that they came from Earth? So the fact that we are so closely related to primates is just coincidental, right?

Comment

After years of neuroanatomy classes I must say that the 10% thing is a urban myth. Each part of the brain has specific functions and centers. While it is true that every part of the brain is not fully utilized every second that is a bit of an non-sequitur. Do you need your language vision balance and long term memory while sleeping or jogging or any other of a million activities.

Rumor!
            "Everything done in weakness fails." ~Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
              Humans use all of their brains??

That's absurd.
              Nope. Every little bitty section of your brain has a specific use.

If we didn't need the larger brains, we wouldn't have them.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

It is quite simply that we don't use all of the different sections of our brain at the same time. We have no need to.

Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow. Indeed, although certain minor functions may use only a small part of the brain at one time, any sufficiently complex set of activities or thought patterns will indeed use many parts of the brain. Just as people don't use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don't use all of their brain at once. For any given activity, such as eating, watching television, making love, or reading Skeptical Inquirer, you may use a few specific parts of your brain. Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another.
              sigpic

Comment

lol Mio I was just about to say the 10% thing was wrong anyway. Thanks for the links (and your very true btw.)

Comment

I think that 10% remark refers to how much of our brain is used during conscience thought processes. I could be wrong. But when you consider my remark, then man has come a long way...for running at only 10 % of capacity.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Mio

how do you explain our bodys being like the ancients and like animals from the planet. and the fact that there brains are different could actually back me up in saying that the ancients have other powers

Comment

Originally posted by airfro
                      The ancients healing powers is all well and good but do they have more physical powers, in frozen i think sam said something about the ancient they found being able to use more of her brain, there is no evedence to support this theory but i think its acceptable seen as though they can swap white blood cells through the air.

also the ancients came from earth i cant say this enough!!!!!!!!
                      the evidence came from the fifth race as frasier compared Jack and the ancients brain waves and noticed similarities (also similar with cassie)

in the CAT scans showed that Jacks brain was working over time therefore the same can be assumed of the ancients

this was re-enforced by the Lost City
                      Spoiler:
                      ie Jack being able to heal Bra'tac after having the knowledge downoaded into his brain

Comment

yep Mishy Mo you are correct. Cassie probably has the brain waves because of her evolution on another planet, and as Thor has said Jack is one of (if not) the most advanced human on our planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
                          yep Mishy Mo you are correct. Cassie probably has the brain waves because of her evolution on another planet, and as Thor has said Jack is one of (if not) the most advanced human on our planet.
                          yeah nirti had a hand in cassie development as well

hate to say it but those pesky snakeheads know more than we give them credit for

Comment

Let’s think about Ancient’s brains and Human brains as computer processors.

The normal Human brain, processor, is the stock model meant for everyday use; let’s say its rated (runs) at ~100. The Ancient brain is the pro performance model meant for high-end use; let’s say it rated at ~1000.

Now how does a normal Human brain reach the performance of an Ancient brain? There is a computer term call overclocking, running your processor at a speed faster than it's rated. But in doing so you damage the processor over time. Most people add cooling devices and other equipment to keep the processor stable.

Now back to Stargate

O'Neill brain runs at 100, but in order for them to process the Ancients download he needs to run at 1000. His brain is then overclocked. If he runs at 1000 for a long time he risks brain damage or completely frying his brain.

What we need is to find a way to stabilize the brain while overclocked.
                            "Khattam-Shud," he said slowly, "is the Arch-Enemy
                            of all Stories, even of Language itself. He is the Prince of
                            Silence and the Foe of Speech. And because everything ends,
                            because dreams end, stories end, life ends, at the finish
                            of everything we use his name. 'It's finished,' we tell one
                            another, 'it's over. Khattam-Shud: The End.'"

-excerpted from Haroun and the Sea of Stories,

Comment

While it is true that we use all parts of our brain. We cannot consciously use all of the brains potential.

This can be seen in the rare cases of savantism (think Rainman, Dustin Hoffman) where a person has incredible conscious mathematical abilites. Or in the case of some who have incomprehensible ability to memorize huge quantities of numbers (like PI to 300,000 places). Or in the case of ....you get the idea.

Typically people who have these exceptional abilities show deficiencies in other areas of brain function. Almost like the brain can only do much at a time in our current state. If our brains were fully unleashed, the possibilities would be endless!

Comment

Working...
                              X