No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It definitely looks a ton better than DST's prototype, I wish we could get ones like that! Did you use a stencil for the camaflouge marks?

Comment

Looks really good!

What did you use to paint the specific camo details?

Comment

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
        Ok, here is how my Desert Camo Teal’c is looking. I’m pretty happy with how he’s shaping up in general (I haven’t done this much painting since the 6th grade). He doesn’t match 100% to the uniforms on the show but I’m fairly satisfied. Not done yet but I wanted to get some opinions on how the camo part is looking. This is the trickiest part for me. Trying to be random without overdoing it.

Great job roll my blues, I will echo what others are saying that your version is much better than the DST version. The DST version needs to tone down the color a bit. I really hope we see all of SG-1 in the jacketed desert uniform at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedigreedo View Post
          It definitely looks a ton better than DST's prototype, I wish we could get ones like that! Did you use a stencil for the camaflouge marks?
          Nope, just did it freehand. That's why it was worrying me. I used episode pics as well as DST's prototypes as a guide, practiced on paper a couple of times and just went for it.

Originally posted by nekoi View Post
          Looks really good!

What did you use to paint the specific camo details?
          If you're asking after the brand itself, overall, I mostly used Delta. It's what I can get most readily near me. Got some good advice from this board and this site here.

http://www.ironcowprod.com/features/painting.html

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
          Great job roll my blues, I will echo what others are saying that your version is much better than the DST version. The DST version needs to tone down the color a bit. I really hope we see all of SG-1 in the jacketed desert uniform at some point.
          Thanks very much. I'm still hoping for DST's figures too.
          Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

rmb, did you prime your figure before you painted it or did you just start painting Teal'c. Reason I ask is b/c I am trying to find a paintable primer...one I don't have to spray on...if such a thing is even made.

Comment

You know what, almost everything I know about customizing (haha, and it ain't much) I've learned over the last two weeks. I didn't prime at all. I didn't occur to me until I was halfway done the tan uniform and things were going so well I didn't bother. I would do things differently next time.

I did a quick search and paintable primers definitely exist so have a look round figure or model sites and you should find a recommended brand that'll work for ya. Doing a quick search I found this site that I'm going to bookmark that has a lot of all-round good info.

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/32
              Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
                You know what, almost everything I know about customizing (haha, and it ain't much) I've learned over the last two weeks. I didn't prime at all. I didn't occur to me until I was halfway done the tan uniform and things were going so well I didn't bother. I would do things differently next time.

I did a quick search and paintable primers definitely exist so have a look round figure or model sites and you should find a recommended brand that'll work for ya. Doing a quick search I found this site that I'm going to bookmark that has a lot of all-round good info.

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/32
                Thanks for looking that up rmb!
                I am going to have to smack you (kidding) b/c now I kinda want to make SG-1 desert customs!
                Delta is what I used on my Black Ops customs. What colors did you use for the desert Teal'c?

Comment

I realize now that I didn't use many colors total, though I tested a lot before I was satisfied. The hardest was finding a decent green.

Here's the lowdown:

Delta:

Sandstone (2402)
                  - Tan of the uniform. A bit on the yellow side in some lights but the best I found for my taste. For this part of the uniform I didn't want to be mixing in case I couldn't duplicate it exactly.

Mudstone (2488) - Boots and jacket cuffs.

Eucalyptus (2569) / White - 2:1 green to white. Green areas of the camo.

T-shirt, belt, camo accent and bottom of the boots are all DecoArt Country Maple. I couldn’t come up with a brown that fit so I used the DecoArt that I already had on hand. I might change the t-shirt or belt color so everything isn’t so uniform a shade. I still have to finish the camo on the back of the figure and then touch up here and there. Was trying to think how to do the laces so they don’t blend right in with the boots.

Have fun making yours, HG!

Comment

hey guys here are the finish stargate minimates i made. in my first post i mention i was going to O'Neill and Mitchell, but i was thinking it would be a good idea to do a minimate base on Atlantis. so here are Col. Jack O'Neill and Lt. Col. John Sheppard.
                    Jack and Sheppard:

Col. Jack O'Neill.

Lt. Col. John Sheppard.

with vest.

with vest.

group shot with there hand guns and p90's.

these came out really good and i like the guns and holsters i made. these will go with my star gate figures. and i really hope that DST can make official stargate minimates for SG-1 and Atlantis.
                    "Daniel?"
                    "For crying out loud!!"
                    "Roddney?"
                    "now get your ass back to work and fix those damn engines!!"

Comment

Hello again!

I received some of my Series 3 figures last week and wasn't too thrilled with offworld Vala, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I give you.... black ops pigtail Vala!

And here she is hanging out with the gang

Hopefully the rest of my figures show up this week so I can start on offworld Vala and finish off the rest of my teams.

Bring on series 4 and Atlantis!!!

Comment

How did you do that?

It is awesome!
                        sigpic

Comment

That is bloody brilliant! Please share exactly how it's done. Diamond select should take note. That's the Vala I wanted.

Comment

Agreed! You have the skills! Something tells me you've done this before. I too would love to know what methods were used to achieve this thing of beauty.

Comment

WOAH! We totally need one of those to be official. You should send pics to DST and tell them that THAT's what we want. XD

Can anyone help me? I was going to use my broken Mitchell's head to make a custom Black Ops Mitchell (head swapping with another Black Ops O'Neill that I might buy), but when I went to take his head off, it snapped, and now the black join is stuck inside it.
                              Any hints on taking it out?
                              Last edited by nekoi; 29 April 2007, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments.

The head is from Avalon Vala. I removed her ponytail and filled in the hole left behind.

The pigtails are from a Buffy the Vampire Slayer figure, cut to size and glued to the side of Vala's head.

The hair behind her ears is sculpted, and I painted her blond streaks black to reflect the look she had in the latter part of season 10.

Her body is Carter's, painted black.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the pigtail Vala head on a green uniform body if anyone wants

Comment

Working...
                                X