X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amanda/her roles discussion and appreciation thread

hello amanda fans.

this thread is for discussing and celebrating amanda tapping, and the roles she's had through the years. you can talk about sam carter or even helen magnus (her yet-to-be-seen 'sanctuary' character), or any character that she's played. or you can just talk about amanda tapping.

~let's keep chatting between one another to private messages or emails, though. this thread is for discussing amanda and/or her roles *exclusively*.~

with that said, let's get the ball rolling.

i'll start off by saying, i ADORE amanda tapping. i think she's a *wonderful* actress and a *wonderful* person too. sam carter is one of my all-time fave female characters. i love her strength and brains and i think she's just super cool.

some of the eps i enjoyed especially because of sam were:

in the line of duty
    the tok'ra 1&2
    point of view
    jolinar's memories
    the devel you know
    foothold
    entity
    ascension
    desperate measures
    nightwalkers
    paradise lost
    metamorphosis
    grace
    death knell
    heroes 1&2
    lost city 1&2
    new order 1&2
    gemini
    threads
    moebius 1&2
    the shroud
    (including all the s/j shipper ones )

these are just a few off the top of my head.

what are your choices?

sally
    sally

sigpic

Originally posted by majorsal
    hello amanda fans.

this thread is for discussing and celebrating amanda tapping, and the roles she's had through the years. you can talk about sam carter or even helen magnus (her yet-to-be-seen 'sanctuary' character), or any character that she's played. or you can just talk about amanda tapping.

~let's keep chatting between one another to private messages or emails, though. this thread is for discussing amanda and/or her roles *exclusively*.~

with that said, let's get the ball rolling.

i'll start off by saying, i ADORE amanda tapping. i think she's a *wonderful* actress and a *wonderful* person too. sam carter is one of my all-time fave female characters. i love her strength and brains and i think she's just super cool.

some of the eps i enjoyed especially because of sam were:

in the line of duty
    the tok'ra 1&2
    point of view
    jolinar's memories
    the devel you know
    foothold
    entity
    ascension
    desperate measures
    nightwalkers
    paradise lost
    metamorphosis
    grace
    death knell
    heroes 1&2
    lost city 1&2
    new order 1&2
    gemini
    threads
    moebius 1&2
    the shroud
    (including all the s/j shipper ones )

these are just a few off the top of my head.

what are your choices?

sally
    Alright! My choices...I really like yours! A little whump, a little ship, a little kick butt Sam...a little bit of everything. I absolutely love the character of Sam and have to thank AT for getting and keeping me interested in SG. From my first ep(Emancipation) to now, Sam has always intrigued me. AT really drew me in with her portrayal of Sam. I hope to meet her one day.

Comment

There are so many! But of the ones you have listed I'd have listed already, I'd have to go with Entity, Foothold and Desperate Measures.

I'd also like to remind everyone of her (all too brief!) appearance in an episode of the X-Files.
      sigpic
      Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1

I'd also like to remind everyone of her (all too brief!) appearance in an episode of the X-Files.
        That was the first time I'd ever seen her. I just want her to run into Caldwell on SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
          Alright! My choices...I really like yours! A little whump, a little ship, a little kick butt Sam...a little bit of everything. I absolutely love the character of Sam and have to thank AT for getting and keeping me interested in SG. From my first ep(Emancipation) to now, Sam has always intrigued me. AT really drew me in with her portrayal of Sam. I hope to meet her one day.
          welcome.

it's hard for me to explain what grabbed me about sam carter, but it happened right at the beginning.

i went into stargate sg1 with a bit of a minus with me, meaning that i didn't really care for the movie and i wasn't an rda fan then. but by the time the first episode/pilot was through, i fell in love with the show and the characters.

by the second ep, enemy within, i knew i was going to have a character to really follow (sam). but the third ep, emancipation, sam had officially became my fave character.

i live through sam with everything she does. i'm a scientist and soldier and i fell in love with jack too, and i've blown up a sun and visited other galaxies and i've even lost loved ones. i live through sam.

and from what i've seen of helen magnus (amanda's sanctuary character), i'm going to LOVE her too.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1
            oh, yes, the call girl to DIE for.

that ep is actually hard for me to watch now, because i don't like seeing amanda play a dd... dea... not living person.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I must admit that Emancipation is the ep that grabbed me to liking Sam. Honestly that ep just showed the strength of Sam. Yes Sam was insecure, and scared and was out to prove herself but that is who she was at that time. She showed others that there is another way. that you are more then just a female... More then a soldier...more then a scientist.
              Sam is to me an allround character with a lot of strength but also with a lot of insecuryties...

Now in season 10 she is a strong person...but it has had her toll. I mean she has lost a few, she also had to go through a lot but that is what makes her that strong now! her past...

As for Amanda I think she did an amazing job in the void. ok that movie really was the worst ever, but Amanda made it into a movie I enjoy watching cause it shows the strengt as an actress...that even with a bad script (or a cliché script) she can make something beautiful about it...

Comment

I had decided to give up Scifi because there hadn’t been anything on that I thought was worth watching. Last year in 2006 I did some traveling and I had to stay in building I was helping my company acquire and shift to its policies and procedures. I had to stay at the building due to issues there. Any hows I had this little tiny 13 inch tv and I flipped to the SciFi channel because there wasn’t anything else on. The show was well into the episode but I was like this woman is great actress. I kinda like this show. So I started watching SG-1 and then decided it would be quicker to buy the DVD’s. So I bought ALL of them and watched all the season in about 3 months.

Any way the episode was Grace and it will always be my number one. I also like whumpage yes I know.

The X Files was of my first loves and as I watched SG-1 I was like I have seen her somewhere before!

Any way that is my Amanda story.

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."--Thucydides

Comment

that ep is actually hard for me to watch now, because i don't like seeing amanda play a dd... dea... not living person.

sally
                  Aw Sally! I don't like seeing her not living either! But she does play a good dead.

I love kick butt Sam. That's awesomeness. I also love vulnerable Sam. She's tough, but she's human. Yep, I love that.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                    I must admit that Emancipation is the ep that grabbed me to liking Sam.
                    That's my first ep! See! It's an attention grabber. You see this girl that is smart and beautiful. Then you see a more vulnerable side of her when she is captive. Then you see her take control and kick butt. It's great.

Geez, Sam Carter rocks!

Comment

sally
                      I think she did a great job with Avatar...I love that ep actually... I mean Amanda did amazing in it...even though she was not alive Sally
                      I think the fact that I didn't see Sam in Amanda her role is what makes Amanda so grreat I mean yes she looks like Sam but she isn't Sam

And I was going to post a screencap of it but I can't find them anymore on my computer

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                        I must admit that Emancipation is the ep that grabbed me to liking Sam. Honestly that ep just showed the strength of Sam. Yes Sam was insecure, and scared and was out to prove herself but that is who she was at that time. She showed others that there is another way. that you are more then just a female... More then a soldier...more then a scientist.
                        Sam is to me an allround character with a lot of strength but also with a lot of insecuryties...
                        first i'd like to say, man do i miss discussing things i love like this!

some ppl put down emancipation for being a crappy ep or sexist and such, but i really enjoyed the ep because it was the first time we really were shown sam the soldier. she was taken as a pow (prisoner of war) in a way. if things had been shown *really* bad, i'm sure her time with the warlord would have come off much worse. but anyways, sam stood up to the warlord, even though he was making threats at her.

my fave part of that ep was the end, when she kicked his butt! and i love the way it was done, right down to jack having total confidence in her (which was great since he really didn't know her that well then). her fighting the warlord had me screaming 'yeah! kick his butt!!' at the screen.

it was only the third ep, but we really saw what sam was made of.

Now in season 10 she is a strong person...but it has had her toll. I mean she has lost a few, she also had to go through a lot but that is what makes her that strong now! her past...

that's a great way of putting that, that it's her past that makes her strong now. she's grown and matured and it *shows*.

As for Amanda I think she did an amazing job in the void. ok that movie really was the worst ever, but Amanda made it into a movie I enjoy watching cause it shows the strengt as an actress...that even with a bad script (or a cliché script) she can make something beautiful about it...
                        i bought the movie, and only *because* of amanda.

you're right about it not being the best movie, but amanda made the best of what she was given.

she, eve, was actually rather close to sam. both were scientists and very smart. but eve wasn't as tough as sam, and amanda showed that beautifully. i also enjoyed the love story through the movie. i think amanda and adrian had nice chemistry. *swoons*

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Amanda Tapping=AWESOMENESS! I swear, it's mathematical fact. She is does such a great job portraying Sam Carter. She is a great actress, she is so beautiful, and seems like a genuinely nice person and who got what they deserved in life.

Spoiler:
                          I can't wait to see her on SGA next season! Though, I am sad to see Elizabeth go, I'm glad that it's Sam who will be there! I also can't wait for Sanctuary, that looks GREAT too!

I love AT and I know I will be in this thread more and more!!

Comment

some ppl put down emancipation for being a crappy ep or sexist and such, but i really enjoyed the ep because it was the first time we really were shown sam the soldier. she was taken as a pow (prisoner of war) in a way. if things had been shown *really* bad, i'm sure her time with the warlord would have come off much worse. but anyways, sam stood up to the warlord, even though he was making threats at her.
                            See I totally don't get people who don't understand her wearing that dress...It wasn't sexist at all... I mean a lot don't like the dress but I think that was just the story about the ep. No matter what you always have to respect others believes and all...but sometimes you need to interfere to make a change. And I think it wasn't about feminism this ep...Not at all. Ok Sam was a feminist but it was about showing others that there is another way. I mean that people are equalt to eachother.

my fave part of that ep was the end, when she kicked his butt! and i love the way it was done, right down to jack having total confidence in her (which was great since he really didn't know her that well then). her fighting the warlord had me screaming 'yeah! kick his butt!!' at the screen.
                            I think that moment was great...I think also the fact that she didn't killed him showed her strength...Whatever he did...or wanted to do...Sam could forgive him for that. Cause he still was a human being. I think that moment was the best ever. Even with all the kicking and all I tink that lays the strength in Sam

it was only the third ep, but we really saw what sam was made of.
                            I agree with you on this one, from that moment you saw the real Sam if you ask me... It was her. In the first ep it was an OTT Sam. she was still a bit fake. I think the writers and also Amanda had to get used to things...but from emancipation on Amanda hit Sam every time!!!

i bought the movie, and only *because* of amanda.
                            You know recently my dog ate my dvd of it (don't say it...not funny...Ok maybe a bit lol) and I have hunted down every site online to get a copy of it again...just cause of Amanda is in it and now I have a German version but at least it also has the English version on it

she, eve, was actually rather close to sam. both were scientists and very smart. but eve wasn't as tough as sam, and amanda showed that beautifully. i also enjoyed the love story through the movie. i think amanda and adrian had nice chemistry. *swoons*
                            She wasn't Eve but Eva...oh I wished that it was Eve...and I think you are right it was close to Sam but in a way also very different...she had the techno talk a lot...what Amanda does as the best but Sam and Eva are different personalities. I must say I cried a lot when Eva cried about losing her friends...I really think Amanda was amazing in that moment...

Comment

Originally posted by kir_fect
                              I had decided to give up Scifi because there hadn’t been anything on that I thought was worth watching. Last year in 2006 I did some traveling and I had to stay in building I was helping my company acquire and shift to its policies and procedures. I had to stay at the building due to issues there. Any hows I had this little tiny 13 inch tv and I flipped to the SciFi channel because there wasn’t anything else on. The show was well into the episode but I was like this woman is great actress. I kinda like this show. So I started watching SG-1 and then decided it would be quicker to buy the DVD’s. So I bought ALL of them and watched all the season in about 3 months.

Any way the episode was Grace and it will always be my number one. I also like whumpage yes I know.

The X Files was of my first loves and as I watched SG-1 I was like I have seen her somewhere before!

Any way that is my Amanda story.
                              thanks for participating, kir!

i LOVE 'grace'! it had everything i loved; sam whump, great acting, caring about sam from her friends, ship, and sam being the hero. *sighs*

i really liked the way the ep was done too. i liked the quirky way the director had sam imagining her friends. sam didn't just talk to her friends -in her mind; we saw a *concussed* sam talking to her friends. each friend/teammate was slightly out of the norm. kind of exaggerated i think.

teal'c was her soldier side. the fighter/warrior. he kept her on her toes and told her 'stay tough and focused!'.

daniel was her scientific and explorer side. the thrill of discovery. while teal'c told her to stay focused and fight back, daniel told her to let down her gun and talk to them, dig into what's really out there.

jacob was her family and normal side. he told her that there's more to life than what's she's 'settling' for.

jack was her confidence and 'woman' side. i could go into greater detail, but i think (for me) it came off as the jack side was the closest to her 'soul'. he was the vulnerable side, but also the side that gave her the push to succeed, to believe in herself.

man, how i do love that episode. *sighs*

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X