This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate, The Outer Limits and MacGyver

Has anyone elsenoticed the oddconnection between Stargate, The Outher Limits, and MacGuyver?

Amanda Tapping: "The Outer Limits" "Cmdr. Kate Girard" in episode: "The Joining". Don S. Davis:"The Outer Limits" playing "Army General" in episode: "The Voice of Reason" and "Detective" in episode: "Living Hell", "MacGyver" playing "Wyatt Porter" in episode: "The Endangered" and playing "Cement Truck Driver" in episode: "Blow Out" not to mention he was Dana Elcar's stand-in on the series. Christopher Judge: "MacGyver" playing "Deron" in episode: "Live and Learn". Michael Shanks: "The Outer Limits" playing "Dr. Will Olsten" in episode: "Manifest Destiny" (while he never apeared in MacGyver he does credit a visit to the set as inspiring his acting career.) Teryl Rothery:"The Outer Limits" playing "Dr. Lucy Cole" in episode: "Re-Generation" and "Janet Peston" in episode: "Trial By Fire". Garwin Sanford: "MacGyver" playing "Rafael" in episode: "On a Wing and a Prayer" and playing "Durst" in episode: "Rock the Cradle". "The Outer Limits" playing "Peter Chandler" in episode: "Replica", "Dim Pardo" in episode: "What Will the Neighbors Think?" and "Senator Meade" in episode: "The Sentence". (not to mention two seperate rolls Stargate SG-1, and Stargate Atlantis.) The list goes on.

I have mentioned in many many posts the connection between The Outer Limits, besides the obviously same production team (writers, studio, vfx, etc..). They have used stories, props, and even characters. The Goauld symbiote was actually in an Outer Limits episode as an 'alien parasite' in a nightmare before SG-1 was even a thought.

The Outer Limits was, for the first time in SG history, VERY SPECIFICALLY mentioned in a recent episode of Atlantis. And if you follow Outer Limits history, the original series was referenced.

So yes, there is a strong connection. Same actors, same stories, same directors, same writers, same studio, same channel (Showtime Then SciFi), same genre, same props, same sets (on many occasions outside SGC), same props, similar aliens,....

Comment

Mrphy, I've renamed your thread to make it clearer that it is Stargate related. This folder is for Stargate discussions - we've other folders for other TV series and movies.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrphy42
        Has anyone elsenoticed the oddconnection between Stargate, The Outher Limits, and MacGuyver?

Amanda Tapping: "The Outer Limits" "Cmdr. Kate Girard" in episode: "The Joining". Don S. Davis:"The Outer Limits" playing "Army General" in episode: "The Voice of Reason" and "Detective" in episode: "Living Hell", "MacGyver" playing "Wyatt Porter" in episode: "The Endangered" and playing "Cement Truck Driver" in episode: "Blow Out" not to mention he was Dana Elcar's stand-in on the series. Christopher Judge: "MacGyver" playing "Deron" in episode: "Live and Learn". Michael Shanks: "The Outer Limits" playing "Dr. Will Olsten" in episode: "Manifest Destiny" (while he never apeared in MacGyver he does credit a visit to the set as inspiring his acting career.) Teryl Rothery:"The Outer Limits" playing "Dr. Lucy Cole" in episode: "Re-Generation" and "Janet Peston" in episode: "Trial By Fire". Garwin Sanford: "MacGyver" playing "Rafael" in episode: "On a Wing and a Prayer" and playing "Durst" in episode: "Rock the Cradle". "The Outer Limits" playing "Peter Chandler" in episode: "Replica", "Dim Pardo" in episode: "What Will the Neighbors Think?" and "Senator Meade" in episode: "The Sentence". (not to mention two seperate rolls Stargate SG-1, and Stargate Atlantis.) The list goes on.
        Don't forget Andromeda. Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, and J.R. Bourne have all appeared in it, I'm pretty sure all have been in it on at least two different occasions.
        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Don S. Davis, Garwin Sandford, and Michael Shanks appeared in Highlander in separate episodes, I think Amanda Tapping was in Forever Knight at some point, though I'm not sure. I thought it was a canadian show thing.

Comment

And don't forget that in the latest episode of Atlantis, "Home",
            Spoiler:
            When McKay was at his "house" he fell asleep watching "The Outer Limits"

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

[QUOTE= I think Amanda Tapping was in Forever Knight at some point, though I'm not sure. I thought it was a canadian show thing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, She was. It was an episode in which she played a scientist--one of several who had invented a machine that let you leave your concious body and do some weird things. Don't remember the title, but I've seen it several tmes.

Comment

Well, I've been into scifi for long, long time and come to notice that actors in the scifi circles tend to go around quite a bit.

1. The Star Trek casts have visited other Star Trek shows.
                2. Walter Koenig who played Cmdr. Pavel Chekov also played Psicop Al Bester in Babylon 5 and Alfred Bester is a scifi novelist in the real world. I believe one of Mr. Bester's books was called 'Synergist'
                3. Marina Sirtis who played Deanna Troi in ST:TNG played Russian Dr. Markov in Stargate SG-1
                4. Jonathan Frakes who played Cmdr. William Riker in ST:TNG appeared as himself in the telly series Roswell and also btw produced the Roswell.
                5. John de Lancie who played Q in Trek also appeared in Stargate several times as Col. Frank Simmons
                6. Brent Spiner who played Data in ST:TNG appeared as a scientist in the movie Independence Day
                7. In Stargate SG-1 several references have been made to Star Trek tech and the name Enterprise.
                8. In Babylon 5 there was a reference to a scifi author Isaac Asimov
                9. Adam Baldwin starred in The Cape (1996) as an astronaut and then later starred in a scifi series called Firefly (2003) and also has visited in Stargate, X-Files and Outer Limits.
                10. Teryl Rothery from Stargate has visited in X-Files and in tv series Jeremiah which was a new series by J. Michael Straczynski who created Babylon 5

...Ok, I'm too tired to continue listing.. but there's more. If I combine myself with the Internet it equals up to a wealth of useless information.
                Channara

-"How come I never get to kiss anybody?"
                -"Well, it's a... there's being episode written for you ...soon. Very soon."
                -"Sure."

Comment

Oh oh, on a side note... I was watching TV today and there was a McDonalds commercial, and it said "What would McGuyver do?"

Comment

Anyone notice in "Home" when McKay watched the Outer Limits the opening narration said something like:

"We control the volume, we can make it louder and we can make it quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Lugal
                      Anyone notice in "Home" when McKay watched the Outer Limits the opening narration said something like:

"We control the volume, we can make it louder and we can make it quiet."
                      Yes, but what is your point exactly? That is just the introduction (or opening sequence) to every show in the original 1963 series.

1963-1965 Seasons: Opening Narration
                      (From TVTome.Com)

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."

Comment

Working...
                      X