This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 - did it have it coming?

Hey everyone - so whats the conclusion on SG1's final season then? Ive seen loads of posts trying to get it back on the tv, but honestly - does it really deserve it?

First up - some spoilers ahead!

Ok, frankly i think S10 has been utterly dire, and S9 not much better. It really has been awful. RDA was always classic, but im not his greatest fan. I think Mitchell has been pretty good, but the others - what on earth has happened? Tapping has been phoning it in for weeks, Tealc has been suffering from the 'klingon' syndrome, ie great character, but represents an utterly tired and dull race. All this guff about honour and tradition, i mean really. Give it a rest please. Jaffa are cannon fodder, nothing more - which has always been fine until the writers tried to make them out to be major players. Jackson has always been the key to the series, and remains so - but all this stuff about Merlin, and Arthur makes him out to be a joke.

Lastly, the awful, what on earth were they thinking (smoking?) addition of Vala. Jesus. Give me a break. One character has single handedly turned a light hearted sci fi series into a complete joke. Im sitting here watching the end of Family Ties, where we have the riveting story of vala's problems with her dad. Whats that you say? Only two hours to go til the end, no more? Yup - and theyre spending it, explaining the back story of valas troubles with the old man. Pur-lease. I knew the writers had run out of ideas, but i had no idea they were this out to lunch. Its woeful.

It woudnt be so bad if it were one episode, but the entire S10 and much of S9 has been dedicated to vala and her tedious vala adventure show. Noone cares! Ok Tapping and shanks have been taking breaks, so someone has to fill the gap - surely theres something better than this? Jonas would have been ideal - whats he doing while the Ori are trashing his planet? God only knows.

Anyway, so thats it, no more SG1 and they only have themselves to blame. So many stories were left untold. The 5th race, daniels ascension, the furlings, the asgard, the trust, a gou'ald war of attrition. No none of that, instead we have valas trouble with the folks.

Thankfully Atlantis is finding its feet at last!

couldn't disagree more personally. i my opinion s10 is one of the best seasons yet and i want more!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

^ I agree with p-90 100%
      sigpic

Comment

Fair enough. Just out of interest did you like the previous seasons, and what is it that you like about S10?

Comment

Nope. I thought, for the most part, Season 9 and especially Season 10 were great, and continue to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by jocal View Post
            I agree with that.

Comment

Oh for crying out loud, the show's been on for TEN YEARS! Let it end, good grief!

12 episodes of Season 9 delt with the Ori. Half of Season 10 also deals with the Ori, and you're complaining about a Vala episode? Good grief, I'd stop watching if every single episode delt with the Ori. Besides, you are aware that there were only 3 episodes left to film when cancellation was announced, right? They only had time to change the Season 10 cliffhanger finale into a Series Finale.

SG-1 didn't have it coming. The show lasted ten years. How many American sci-fi shows can you think of that lasted more than 5 years, hmm?

I can think of 5...

Stargate SG-1 - 10 Years
              The X Files - 9 Years
              Star Trek: The Next Generation - 7 Years
              Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 7 Years
              Star Trek: Voyager - 7 Years
              Last edited by Daniel Jackson; 27 February 2007, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Oh, I think S9 sucked something fierce. Only enjoyed a few episodes in that - Camelot, Ripple Effect. S10 has been better, but Atlantis has still been the better of the two for me.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

well that reasoned argument told me !

whats been so great about them?

Comment

Im not having a pop at sg1 as a whole - i love the show, have done since the beginning. Its done incredibly well to go on for so long. And it did have to put up with serious disruptions as well, all these things have to be taken into account. But this season, it seems to have given up? Its such a shame. PArt of the appeal, IMO, is it setup all these interesting stories which seem to have been forgotten. So much material left on the shelf - thats the real shame, thats all im saying!

Comment

SG1 had it coming because TPTB got cocky, they counted their chickens and when they didn't hatch, when S11 was a "nope, not happening" they couldn't believe it, couldn't believe that the network didn't think as highly of them as they thought of themselves. Truth is this has been a long tme coming, and if Family Ties was any indication of the way the show was going to end up, its better that it got cancelled now IMO, anything worse than what the show has become would be an insult to what was once a great show IMO.
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Fair enough. Just out of interest did you like the previous seasons, and what is it that you like about S10?
                        Yep. I've loved every season of SG-1. each one has brought something different and to be honest both Mitchell and Vala bring a great new dimension to the show.

I admit that there are storylines that I'd like to see back from previous seasons like the furlings and such but it's a bit late for that now and I love the ori. I think they have a lot of potential.

In particular about season 10 I love the new dynamic. Carter and Teal'c are still the same great characters. Sams back to doing what she does best and there's no stupid jack shipiness. Teal'c is always great and I though that revenge trip was one of the best eps of season 10. Just fantastic. I've always been a fan of the Jaffa cos they have many layers to them. Daniel is................different but in a good way. he's developed over the years into a very strong character and i think his dealings with the goa'uld and the ori have made him cynical and less idealistic which makes sense. i think anyone would be the same way. Mitchell and vala are two of the best characters yet aren't just the jokesters. Mitchell is a serious yet optomistic soldier and vala has grown because of her dealings with the ori and no longer thinks of herself.

It is a truly great season and i've loved every moment.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Not to be rude or anything, but there are about a thousand differnet threads about the matter. Do we really need yet another one?
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

You know what I really like in season 9 and 10 is baals part in it the way he now interacts with sg1 also a big landry fan of course the shround with rda was a good ep
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone - so whats the conclusion on SG1's final season then? Ive seen loads of posts trying to get it back on the tv, but honestly - does it really deserve it?

First up - some spoilers ahead!

Ok, frankly i think S10 has been utterly dire, and S9 not much better. It really has been awful. RDA was always classic, but im not his greatest fan. I think Mitchell has been pretty good, but the others - what on earth has happened? Tapping has been phoning it in for weeks, Tealc has been suffering from the 'klingon' syndrome, ie great character, but represents an utterly tired and dull race. All this guff about honour and tradition, i mean really. Give it a rest please. Jaffa are cannon fodder, nothing more - which has always been fine until the writers tried to make them out to be major players. Jackson has always been the key to the series, and remains so - but all this stuff about Merlin, and Arthur makes him out to be a joke.

Lastly, the awful, what on earth were they thinking (smoking?) addition of Vala. Jesus. Give me a break. One character has single handedly turned a light hearted sci fi series into a complete joke. Im sitting here watching the end of Family Ties, where we have the riveting story of vala's problems with her dad. Whats that you say? Only two hours to go til the end, no more? Yup - and theyre spending it, explaining the back story of valas troubles with the old man. Pur-lease. I knew the writers had run out of ideas, but i had no idea they were this out to lunch. Its woeful.

It woudnt be so bad if it were one episode, but the entire S10 and much of S9 has been dedicated to vala and her tedious vala adventure show. Noone cares! Ok Tapping and shanks have been taking breaks, so someone has to fill the gap - surely theres something better than this? Jonas would have been ideal - whats he doing while the Ori are trashing his planet? God only knows.

Anyway, so thats it, no more SG1 and they only have themselves to blame. So many stories were left untold. The 5th race, daniels ascension, the furlings, the asgard, the trust, a gou'ald war of attrition. No none of that, instead we have valas trouble with the folks.

See the anti season ten thread. All those counts and more have been touched on there.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                              X