This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Vista versus Mac OS X Comparison

Please share your experiences. I'm sick of XP and I love Mac OS X but Vista is rather pretty. Which is better in your opinion?

if this starts another OS war, I'm outta here...

Personally, I'll always choose UNIX, and therefore between the two, I choose OS X seeing as it's got Darwin under the hood.

Vista is no more then XP but shiny
    Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
    Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
      if this starts another OS war, I'm outta here...

Personally, I'll always choose UNIX, and therefore between the two, I choose OS X seeing as it's got Darwin under the hood.

Vista is no more then XP but shiny
      There are no viruses known for the Mac.
      Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by principia View Post
        Please share your experiences. I'm sick of XP and I love Mac OS X but Vista is rather pretty. Which is better in your opinion?
        Mac OS X, you can always run Windows too on the new Macs for things like gaming,
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Vista copied the look and feel and applications from OSX.
          but, its still windows. it still has viruses, and security flaws and adware and spyware.

also, IMPORTANT: the only way you can run the Aeroglass theme on Vista, is if you've got some massive beef under the hood - both in RAM, and a dedicated video card.
          otherwise, it'll look normal.

Comment

there's also that rather odd exploit with the voice recognition you should watch out for if you're using Vista
            Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
              also, IMPORTANT: the only way you can run the Aeroglass theme on Vista, is if you've got some massive beef under the hood - both in RAM, and a dedicated video card.
              otherwise, it'll look normal.
              Yet it has no discernable impact on performance.

At any rate, stay away from Vista for the time being. It's a first release of a major operating system - there's bound to be all sorts of bugs and exploits. Wait until SP1 comes out for it. In the mean time, XP is more than fine for a windows environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                Yet it has no discernable impact on performance.

At any rate, stay away from Vista for the time being. It's a first release of a major operating system - there's bound to be all sorts of bugs and exploits. Wait until SP1 comes out for it. In the mean time, XP is more than fine for a windows environment.
                Heh, forget XP. I'm still using Windows 2000. It works well enough for everything I do.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

that's what i plan to do. With anything microsoft anymore, they're so bound and determined to mimick anyone else, and concentrate seemingly solely on mimickry, that everything they put out is flawed. they worry so much about making it 'similar to....' that they don't make it stable and secure.

anything they put out i give it a minimum of 6 months to a year before i consider installing it.

and last i heard, the press release for the release of vista said 'we're working on service pack one', which means to me 'yeah, we know it's full of flaws, but we had to hit a deadline so we released a buggy piece of junk to make the deadline and we'll make it stable later.'
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I am running Vista (Home premium) i am Dual booting (With XP) ftm and moving stuff over one thing at a time. It works great other then Third parties needing to come out with Drivers (not Ms's fault). Vista is the only Windows to actually have 1000's of ppl beta test so the first version is quite stable. I haven't had one blue screen yet and i had lots with XP.

For the exploit in the Voice software the person would have to make a Mp3 of what they wanted your comp to do. you would have to have the VR Listening, your mic would have to be pulged in and would have to be near the speakers for it to work. And after using the VR for some simple things there is NO WAY it would ever work. you need to annunciate very well and even then it makes big mistakes.

the single best feature in Vista is the active search bar in the start menu it searches everything. so no more of that long search with that Dog.

when i first got it i was running a 1.8ghz CPU 1G of ram and a 128mb vid card

since then i have only upgraded my CPU to a 2.2ghz dual core but the 1.8 was more then sufficient to run vista.
                    Last edited by Jeffer; 23 February 2007, 06:21 PM.
                    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
                      I am running Vista i am Dual booting (With XP) ftm and moving stuff over one thing at a time. It works great other then Third parties neededing to come out with Drivers (not Ms's fault). Vista is the only Windows to acually have 1000's of ppl beta test so the first version is quite stable. I haven't had one blue screen yet and i had lots with XP.

For the exploit in the Vocie software the person would have to make a Mp3 of what they wanted your comp to do. you would have to have the VR Lisiening, your mic would have to be pulged in and would have to be near the speakers for it to work.
                      as most speakers on Windows boxes are...apparently, the voice recognition is on by default, so...One should also remember that this exploit is more geared toward notebook machines where the speakers and mic are in close proximity and are generally turned on. Desktop machines are far less likely to fall victim to this problem.
                      the single best feature in Vista is the active search bar in the start menu it searches everything. so no more of that long seach with that Dog.
                      as OS X and many Linux distros have had for YEARS. As others have said...

Spoiler:

Have fun!
                      Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
                        as most speakers on Windows boxes are...apparently, the voice recognition is on by default, so...One should also remember that this exploit is more geared toward notebook machines where the speakers and mic are in close proximity and are generally turned on. Desktop machines are far less likely to fall victim to this problem.
                        the VR is not on by default you have to turn it on. It can be set up to work on start up but even then it isn't on you have to say start listening for it to start and it isn't smart enough yet to be able to listen well enough to an MP3 playing over the speakers.

Given that 90% of the world runs Windows in one form or another the need to work out a lot more stuff.

Which is also why there aren't many Viruses that work on Mac (as with Linx) not enough ppl use it to make it with the hackers time.

With Windows Firewall and Windows defender it is the most spy ware and add ware safe version of windows yet
                        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                        sigpic

Comment

dude, do you like WORK for MS? The MP3 exploit has been seen in the wild at least once, I think.

Unix (and by kernel extension OS X and Linux) isn't a bunch of security through obscurity mumbo jumbo. Unix made it to the web before Windows did, and therefore defeats several known issues with windows such as a poorly designed network stack and the use of "root" access. Windows makes it damn near impossible to run as anything BUT root. OS X and ALL linux distros let you do this easily with little hassle. True, Windows is targeted more because of its popularity, but other little tidbits include the fact that the reliance Windows traditionally puts on the Internet Explorer engine breeds problems with Javascript remote code execution and VML (vector markup language) RCE. MS' incredibly stupid "patch tuesday" schedule also allows for COUNTLESS Zero-Day Exploits. It's a combination of all these things and MANY more that make Windows in any form the least secure, least reliable operating systems EVER. I'd love to go 12 rounds about who's right, and who's wrong, but Unix is proven to be better than windows on many counts and you don't have the evidence to tell me to stand down. Now I've got alternate OSes to evangelize...
                          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Actually Vista is the First OS from MS to NOT run you in Admin mode. Also vista has a completey redesigned network stack

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...d_technologies

In Vista's defense, Paul Thurrott argues that many of the features that have Mac OS X counterparts or similarities (such as Windows Search to Mac OS X's Spotlight) have been in early alpha versions of Vista or demonstrated in prototypes more than a year before Apple included the features in Mac OS X v10.4.[50] Some Vista technologies, such as Windows Desktop Search, were released as free add-ons to Windows XP before their inclusion in shipping versions of Mac OS X.
                            sigpic

Comment

please, paul therott is the host of a WINDOWS podcast!

although, you are right, I forgot about that in Vista, you aren't root all the time. RC1 Should've taught me that much...
                              Check out my Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X