Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree. I always found Janet to be entirely one-dimensional.

As for the "only include fearless people with excellent survival skills" argument, Atlantis wouldn't have ANY scientists or doctors with that criteria. Beckett, Zelenka, and Kavanaugh certainly wouldn't have appeared.
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
      I disagree. I always found Janet to be entirely one-dimensional.

As for the "only include fearless people with excellent survival skills" argument, Atlantis wouldn't have ANY scientists or doctors with that criteria. Beckett, Zelenka, and Kavanaugh certainly wouldn't have appeared.
      Well I didn't actually say "only include fearless people with excellent survival skills", I said "[people] who could also handle themselves in dangerous situations." As for the other scientists you mentioned, we never saw Kavanagh go offworld, Zelenka only went offworld once from memory (to a planet protected by an EM field generator) and Beckett falls into the same category as McKay. Keller is a new addition, at least in her role as CMO, and I find it implausible that that job would go to somebody who had absolutely zero training or experience given the requirements for going offworld, and given that the IOA and the military are well aware of just how dangerous it is in the Pegasus galaxy.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        Well I didn't actually say "only include fearless people with excellent survival skills", I said "[people] who could also handle themselves in dangerous situations." As for the other scientists you mentioned, we never saw Kavanagh go offworld, Zelenka only went offworld once from memory (to a planet protected by an EM field generator) and Beckett falls into the same category as McKay. Keller is a new addition, at least in her role as CMO, and I find it implausible that that job would go to somebody who had absolutely zero training or experience given the requirements for going offworld, and given that the IOA and the military are well aware of just how dangerous it is in the Pegasus galaxy.
        Since Beckett picked her, obviously she was already vetted by the IOA. Since this was a partially civilian project, military prowess was not required. The IOA doesn't trust the military otherwise it would have been a full military staff. Face it hun, you simply won't like Keller. Nothing that TPTB can do will ever change that! So agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
          Since Beckett picked her, obviously she was already vetted by the IOA. Since this was a partially civilian project, military prowess was not required. The IOA doesn't trust the military otherwise it would have been a full military staff. Face it hun, you simply won't like Keller. Nothing that TPTB can do will ever change that! So agree to disagree.
          I did... a few posts back. But that doesn't mean I'm conceding defeat
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
            I did... a few posts back. But that doesn't mean I'm conceding defeat
            ok- no defeat, just admit you simply don 't like the character. (like me and McKay... boy that guy needs to be popped upside the head one!)

Comment

ok- no defeat, just admit you simply don 't like the character. (like me and McKay... boy that guy needs to be popped upside the head one!)
              I don't like the character. But that doesn't mean I don't like JS or the possibility that the character could have been good. I don't like the way she's written, or the way they had to make Ronon OOC in order for them to connect (but that's a discussion for another thread).
              sigpic

Comment

For me, it's not about not liking the character because before Quarantine, I liked her. After Quarantine, that changed and in thinking about why, I have to admit that there were problems that I didn't give much thought to earlier. Such as the fact that she looks like she's barely out of high school, yet I'm supposed to believe that she's the CMO of Atlantis.

Despite this, my first impression of Keller in First Strike was positive because I found her likeable, her scenes were small and because she looked a bit older than I expected. I can't really remember her in Adrift, Tabula Rasa and The Seer, but I don't consider that a bad thing because I don't expect her every appearance to make a impact. Doppleganger was when I really started to enjoy her and I believe that this goodwill is partly why I didn't have a problem with her excessive whining in Missing. I also really enjoyed her in This Mortal Coil.

Unfortunately, Quarantine exposed warts that I was able to overlook until then. It was then that I realized that unlike the other whiners (Rodney, Carson, Dr. Lee, Kavanaugh, etc.), Keller is usually coddled, instead of criticized, when she whines. In addition, Ronon was written OOC in an effort to endear Keller to the audience and it had the opposite effect on me - I began that episode liking Keller and by the end... not so much.

Now that Keller will be a main character in Season 5, I'm really concerned because it's become clear to me that TPTB love this character so we can expect to see a lot of her, but, unfortunately, they don't have a handle on her yet so this could get really unpleasant for me.
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

I enjoyed Kindred part I last night.
                  Spoiler:
                  The episode was very well done. I also liked seeing a professional side of Keller then. She didn't snap Rodney's head off for being an a** and talking to her like she was an idiot. She held her ground and made her points well. I think as S4 ends and S5 begins we will be seeing a lot of professionalism from keller.

Comment

I enjoyed Kindred part I last night.
                    Spoiler:
                    The episode was very well done. I also liked seeing a professional side of Keller then. She didn't snap Rodney's head off for being an a** and talking to her like she was an idiot. She held her ground and made her points well. I think as S4 ends and S5 begins we will be seeing a lot of professionalism from keller.
                    I really hope so Rac. I'd like to see them develop that character in a professional way, rather than in a fluff way which, IMO, is what they have done with her for most of the season.

I know some people have warmed to her after Trio, because she showed a little bit of strength of character, but the writers really need to get off this fanboy crush thing they seem to have going with her. Personally, I found the whole
                    Spoiler:
                    who would you choose game and drinking game in Trio, and the flirtations in Q and Trio
                    to be demeaning and sexist.

At least in K1 her appearance was not out of place, nor overdone. There is hope yet
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X