This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Shanks?

Has anyone ever wondered why Michael Shanks never made it into the Hollywood A+ list? I mean, I know that he has a career that 99% of "actors" out there would kill for; and, I'm sure he's made many millions of dollars more than any of us normal folks could even aspire towards, but he still hasn't really crossed into the "household name" status.

Richard Dean Anderson made it. Between MacGyver & SG1, he's pretty much TV royalty, just a notch below the Jerry Seinfelds, Matthew Perrys, etc. But pretty much everyone knows about Richard Dean Anderson & MacGyver.

Back to Michael Shanks, I just don't understand why he isn't at that level. He's clearly a very good actor, he's in that sought after (in hollywood) 6'00"-6'03" height bracket, he's white w/ dark hair, in good shape, young and -- saying this as a heterosexual male -- a pretty handsome guy.

So how come he isn't an A-lister? IMO, he could definitely play the male lead in almost any hollywood movie.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

...because he does SciFi.

Welcome to the wonderful world of judging actors based on the genre in which they act.

SciFi actors and actresses rarely get the respect they deserve.

Comment

Of course bias doesn't make sense. Pretty much every kind of bias is stupid.

Regarding Shanks career, he's been on a TV show for nine of the ten seasons that it has aired. That's a lot of work to begin with. To say that his career hasn't taken off is a little premature. Now, if he's not working sometime after SG-1 wraps, that's different.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I have a feeling now that SG-1 is over we're going to be seeing a lot of him in other things. I know he was recently in a Lifetime movie and he's going to be in another one sometime soon. I think I read that he's also going to be in a SCIFI snake movie or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Don S. Davis (George Hammond) in a GW interview
          Michael is a special guy. I think that Michael -- I don't know how to delicately put this -- Michael will do himself a disservice if he doesn't quit doing television and start doing film. He really is exceptional.
          To answer the question I think he hasn't been in Hollywood movies because he has been to busy with SG-1. Hopefully we should see him soon in big blockbusters.
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

As Avenger said, let's give the man some time to make his mark after the series closes. And in the meantime, he's got Lexa Doig to go home to. His life is alright.
            It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
            --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

The Hollywood directors should take a look at his performance in Lifeboat, where he has several conciousness' inside of him. That was his best acting performance in my opinion.

Comment

Caught an episode of CSI: Miami, where he played a suspect. Did a really good job with it to.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

I just saw that episode recently, and to be honest, I didn't recognize that it was Shanks at first. It took me a few seconds of looking at him on screen. I hadn't seen to credits or seen his name, so I wasn't expecting to see him. And that I didn't recognize him, thinking "Hey, that's Daniel Jackson" is a good thing.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

With all the time he has spent on SG-1 there isn't time for him to do the big movies.
                    I'm sure when the series is over we'll see in on the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                      Has anyone ever wondered why Michael Shanks never made it into the Hollywood A+ list? I mean, I know that he has a career that 99% of "actors" out there would kill for; and, I'm sure he's made many millions of dollars more than any of us normal folks could even aspire towards, but he still hasn't really crossed into the "household name" status.

Richard Dean Anderson made it. Between MacGyver & SG1, he's pretty much TV royalty, just a notch below the Jerry Seinfelds, Matthew Perrys, etc. But pretty much everyone knows about Richard Dean Anderson & MacGyver.

Back to Michael Shanks, I just don't understand why he isn't at that level. He's clearly a very good actor, he's in that sought after (in hollywood) 6'00"-6'03" height bracket, he's white w/ dark hair, in good shape, young and -- saying this as a heterosexual male -- a pretty handsome guy.

So how come he isn't an A-lister? IMO, he could definitely play the male lead in almost any hollywood movie.
                      Maybe MS isn't concerned with making the Hollywood A list, but is more concerned with taking parts/roles that really interest and challenge him.

Apparently a minority opinion here. I don't agree that MS is a great actor. I do think he's the best of the bunch of Stargate (with the possible exception of Claudia Black), and he has Daniel down to a pat, but that's not saying a lot. I think he can do some things very well, but IMO he still mugs it up way too much, using exaggerated facial expressions. I thought he was great in "Need", but at times he is a bit OTT and comes too close to the William Shatner school of acting, IMO. Subtle can be good at times.

I saw him in CSI: Miami and while I think he did a nice job, I don't think he gave a performance that any other good looking actor couldn't have given. I also saw his movie Sumaru and wasn't all that impressed by his acting. Didn't think he was that great at all "Swarmed," or in the Christmas movie. Nice to look at, but the acting wasn't that great. Of course, the writing was very mediocre for those two movies, so I'm not sure anyone could have done all that much with it.

I think Gary Oldman, for example, is a fantastic character actor, William H. Macy as well and I would not put Michael in that category from what I've seen of him so far. I am looking forward to seeing him in the movie with Anne Archer - to see what he can do with a character very different from Daniel Jackson.

Comment

he could certainly take a few roles away from tom cruise.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          he could certainly take a few roles away from tom cruise.
                          Sure he could in his dreams
                          Nowadays casting in big movies is done more for name rather than anything else...

Comment

Give him time and we will see him in other things.

He has already set the foundations to further his career in the US.

We know that he took a project lst year so that he cound get his SAG card so that he could work in LA during the next pilot season if he is able.

Gradually we will definitely see him in a variety on great and interesting things.

Comment

Fingers crossed.....I'd love to see him, and all the others on Stargate, progress well in mainstream stuff.....wonder if he'd consider a move to the UK to look for work?......*waits in vain hope*.....

Deeds xx
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Working...
                              X