Last episode "Unending" plot borrowed from Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last episode "Unending" plot borrowed from Star Trek

I just saw the plot summary from the ultimate episode of Stargate, to be called "Unending." Am I the only one who sees striking similarities between this ep and Picard's et al final episode "All Good Things?"

Both involve time travel
    Both show the future development of the characters and their relationships
    Both end back in the "present" with the time effects reversed.

Originally posted by mail551258 View Post
    Both involve time travel

The final episode of Voyager has most of that as well!

Comment

Well worth making another thread about...

[/sarcasm]

Comment

And Bad Guys reminds me of a Voyager Episode what I cant remember the name of, where the doctor discovers that the crew have been seen as villians on an alien world in a musuem.
        STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
        legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

While I see your point, I don't agree. "All Good Things..." skipped between three different time periods, and was mainly focussed on the universe ending (or whatever it was) and, well, stopping that. "Unending" sounds like it's more about the characters themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
            While I see your point, I don't agree. "All Good Things..." skipped between three different time periods, and was mainly focussed on the universe ending (or whatever it was) and, well, stopping that. "Unending" sounds like it's more about the characters themselves.
            Agree and I'm quite looking forward to it.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I don't think unending is like TNG's final episode, but I am slightly disapointed with the premise.

As the final episode of a 10 year run, I expected more than a "reset button" episode.

So they spend 50 years trapped in a time dialation field. Then they undo it. Chances are they won't even be aware of how their lives played out. At least that's what usually happens when they hit the reset button.

So ultimatly the final episode is a could have been that never was.

I wanted more, maybe a wedding, a death, a birth... Something with more meaning than "coulda shoulda didn't".

Comment

Actually, they do remember everything when it's "reset"; it was said in the interviews.

Comment

if they live out 50 years, wont they all be close to 90? that's a long time to live for anyone. wouldnt someone die from old age? or is it 50 years out side of the time dialation field?

Say hello to my little friend!!

Comment

I think you find theres has been loads of episodes just like Star Trek

for exsample "Collateral Damage" was 100% like the one and only Star trek Vouager ep i saw. The only diffrece was the scientists where humanoid aliens with Feathers instaed of Hair
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by mail551258 View Post
                      I just saw the plot summary from the ultimate episode of Stargate, to be called "Unending." Am I the only one who sees striking similarities between this ep and Picard's et al final episode "All Good Things?"

Both involve time travel
                      The following shows have had a time travel series finale:

Star Trek: The Next Generation "All Good Things..."
                      Star Trek: Voyager "Endgame"
                      Star Trek: Enterprise "These Are the Voyages..." (OK, it's not time travel, but it features the NX-01 crew six years into the future as holograms onboard the Enterprise-D holodeck during TNG "The Pegasus," an episode from 1994.)

That's all I can think of. So whut if they got the idea from Star Trek? SG-1 has done time travel episodes before, so whut's the big deal? Time travel is a common sci-fi concept.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        Actually, they do remember everything when it's "reset"; it was said in the interviews.
                        Can you please point me to the interview where this is stated? The interviews I read only mentioned that they "undo" everything, it was never stated in the interviews I read that they remember everything.

While it would be better that they do remember, it's just not what usually happens when they "undo" the events of an alternate timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          The following shows have had a time travel series finale:

Star Trek: The Next Generation "All Good Things..."
                          Star Trek: Voyager "Endgame"
                          Star Trek: Enterprise "These Are the Voyages..." (OK, it's not time travel, but it features the NX-01 crew six years into the future as holograms onboard the Enterprise-D holodeck during TNG "The Pegasus," an episode from 1994.)

That's all I can think of. So whut if they got the idea from Star Trek? SG-1 has done time travel episodes before, so whut's the big deal? Time travel is a common sci-fi concept.
                          It's not a big deal, just a little sad. I had hoped for something more original, or maybe a new spook like ep 200.v I hate seeing tired, overused ideas trotted out again and again. Especially time travel. Causality be damned! It's science FICTION!! It doesn't have to make logical sense or conform to our understanding of the universe!!!

Comment

Sorry, "spook" should be "spoof"

Comment

At least TPTBs of Star Trek had the decency to have Picard in their finale ?
                              I'm still sad Jack won't be there

Comment

Working...
                              X