Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sarah Jane Adventures Discussion/Appreciation (Spoilers for all eps aired on BBC1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Jane Adventures Discussion/Appreciation (Spoilers for all eps aired on BBC1)

Yeah I know, its a kids show, and a clear cash in, but am I the only one who can't resist a quick look? That alien talking with Sarah was definately the same species as the one from Torchwood, 1x07 "Greeks Baring Gifts", a nice homage at least.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Maybe not... still a little better than some of what Torchwood has had to offer....

Characters were 1 dimensional, and Sarah was being written as if she were the Doctor. Definately one for the under 10's, but above that and its nothing special.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

Well I enjoyed it, much better than most of Torchwood and so much better than the Christmas special. It is the first time I've actually felt that I'm been watching Who since Doomsday/Army of Ghosts aired.

Comment

Much better than Torchwood in my opinion.

I'll give more detailed thoughts when I can.

Comment

I thought it was a pretty fun show, seems like it has a huge budget for a kids show. Bonus points for all the classic Who references and a lack of sex crazed aliens and cyberwomen.

Comment

the cyberwoman was quite good i thought (In torchwood)
            But i liked the homage to Geeks baring gifts with the same race of aliens.
            Its a kids show, but its alright. Nice to see some more on Sarah-Jane.
            Hola

Hello

Comment

I dont know, seems like it was just a second attempt of K-9 And Company from the 80s. At least now theres shows for all 3 age groups:

Doctor Who: Teenagers
              Torchwood: Adults
              The S.J Adventures: Kids
              Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

I'd hardly call DW as for Teens, it's more for the whole family.

So now we have cookie-cutter kids show, 'adult show' that handles it's themes as immaturely as it can, and the Doctor's show, which has a bad habit of being dissapointing.
                You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
                And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

My seven-year-old decided it was too scary about halfway through, when the guy was heading to Sarah Jane's house, and she wouldn't watch the rest of it (I watched it till the end, though). Funny, I thought the monsters didn't look in the least scary!

I recognised the fairy thing (alien) from Torchwood too. I liked SJ's explanation of why she didn't work with Torchwood - they tend to go in with guns blazing!

It was nice to see Sarah Jane again - she's looking remarkably good for her age, isn't she? - but I can't say the programme grabbed me. I suppose it's for kids, though.

It was nice to see the photo of the Brigadier in the attic. I'm not a big fan of K9, so I wasn't so pleased about his appearance.

All in all, whether or not I watch the series will just depend on whether the seven-year-old wants to or not.
                  Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

My boys aged four and six loved it, which is rather the point. The basis of the plot was formulaic and familiar, but that's often a good thing with children's programmes; you learn the building blocks of drama from the traditional fairy tales and the ladybird books and the made-for-children television shows . Anyway, the details were nice, like the Archetype (whose lack of navel was far scarier to me than the monster was ) and the SFX and the ick-factor of the bit of live alien in all the fizzies and SJ's attic of treasures.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                      Well I enjoyed it, much better than most of Torchwood and so much better than the Christmas special. It is the first time I've actually felt that I'm been watching Who since Doomsday/Army of Ghosts aired.
                      I hope you're not judging Torchwood for not being Doctor Who... because it isn't supposed to be Doctor Who. I judge it for being mediocre most of the time, but not for not being Doctor Who.
                      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                        Doctor Who: Teenagers
                        Torchwood: Adults
                        Ah, I dunno, I would have switched those - Torchwood is much more the adulescent attracting type of show. Just look at the psots in this forum - the vast majority agree that there's nothing appealing in all the sex etc - seems to me like something teenagers would find much more attracting. Doctor Who is smarter than that, and appealing to adults as well as kids.

As for the Sarah Jane adventures, well, yeah, had to try. T'is a shame that it goes the roue of kids show = formulaic and shallow, I think they could have got a bit more out of it, and I know that when I was a kid I enjoyed watching the same television shows as my dad. But hey! Educating kids to like science fiction is important
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

i like all the shows i think there done really well i hope we get to see more of the sarah jane series soon

Comment

I liked it - im 19 and like all 3 shows...

...I think SJA could be good
                            Where did she get her own sonic screwdriver though? (missed the first bit of the ep)
                            Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Apparently the sonic lipstick and the watch were hidden inside K9 Mark IV when The Doctor gave him to Sarah.

Comment

Working...
                              X