Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...o-and-scripts/

August 7, 2014

Video: Sumo squashes spectator

Well, my Pescatarian Week was a success. To those of you who don’t know, pescatarianism is “the practice of following a diet that includes fish or other seafood” (Wikipedia). I decided to give it a try and, after seven days, I have to say, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be – partly thanks to my inner strength and stalwart determination, partly due to a willingness on my part to seek out and discover interesting recipes, but mostly because I actually ended up eating meat 5 out of those 7 days. There were surprisingly few fish options at the Japanese food festival so I was forced to eat chicken karaage and a pork cutlet sandwich instead. That time we went out for sushi I had the pork gyoza starters. I snacked on the tongue cold cuts I picked up for the dogs the other day. And the other incidents were accidents. More or less. Anyway, all this to say that, after one meatless week, I really do feel healthier and encourage you all to follow in my dietary footsteps.

Wish me luck with Vegetarian Week staring Sunday!

Well, I’m sure you’ll all be pleased to heat I completed a first draft of episode #2 this morning. Yep, 2 scripts down, 11 to go! I’ll send it Paul’s way for his official “logic review” and I’ll switch gears and start work on episode #4. In a best case scenario, I’ll finish that script with plenty of time to complete one more ahead of my Japan trip in September.

Yes, since we’ll be heavy into prep during the time of my usual winter Tokyo trek, I’ve had to move up my trip by a few months. Sadly, I’ll miss out on the festive Christmas spirit that invariably outdoes it’s comparatively staid North American counterparts, but I WILL be there in time for baseball and sumo season! Can you imagine actually being there to experience the thrill of a playoff run? Or catching a Hanshin Tiger foul ball? Or having a sweaty four hundred pound man stumble onto your lap?

That could be me!

Okay, off to re-read my script. Tomorrow, I have a scheduled conference call with our Casting Director to discuss…wait for it…casting! We’ve got seven recurring roles to cast so should be very interesting.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-news-of-note/

August 8, 2014

Video: 8-bit Matrix - SFSU BECAfest 2013 Winner: Best Sound Design

Well, hey – just in time for travel season! Conde Nast offers up a list of the U.S.’s friendliest – and unfriendliest – cites: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/travel...dliest-cities/

Charleston and Savannah, two cities I REALLY want to visit, top the “friendliest” list. On the flip side, I’m reconsidering my travel plans to Newark.

No wonder they had so much in common! Like DNA for instance: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-BROTHER.html

The feel-good story of the week: http://gawker.com/man-buys-every-pie...*ty-1617088150

Bride kindly takes the time to inform acquaintances why they weren’t invited to her wedding: http://jezebel.com/rude-bride-tells-...d-t-1618234621

8-bit Matrix c/o Phillip Raupach:

Aquaman: awesome superhero or cold fish? http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/zack...an-v-superman/ Trick question. With Jason Momoa playing him, of course he’ll be awesome.
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-my-poor-girl/

August 9, 2014

Photos: Jelly, cookies

Akemi and I came back from visiting the farmer’s market to find Jelly’s water bowl upended and Jelly splayed out on the wet hardwood floor. Her head was completely drenched and I suspect she must have done a face plant into the water before losing her balance and falling…and then not being able to get back on account of her arthritic joints and hip dysplasia. I dried her off and took her out back to see if she was okay. On the one hand, she is still able to squat/support herself and do her business; on the other hand, she can barely walk. So, I whisked her off to the local animal hospital where they did an x-ray and discovered her right hip is dislocated. If she were younger, the vet would recommend surgery but given her advanced age (fifteen and half – which is about 78 in human years) he’s suggested pain management might be the best way to go. She’s already on Metacam and she was on Tramadol, but the vet suggested we try Gabapentin.

So, we’ll see how that works out but I face a bit of a dilemma here. If her hip is dislocated, my initial response would be to curtail her walks and save her the pain of putting pressure on the joint. But if I don’t walk her, I’m afraid her muscles will atrophy. What to do?

While at the farmer’s market, Akemi and I came across a stand for Beyond Bread (http://beyondbread.ca). While waiting to be served, someone stepped up – and got served before us. I waited, impatiently, and then when they had moved on, I started making my order – when the guy redirected his attention to ANOTHER couple. At that point, I was ready to leave – but Akemi desperately wanted a poppyseed bagel. Fortunately, another guy – who apparently WASN’T wearing blinders – noticed us standing there and took our order. Akemi got her bagel and I picked up a couple of amaretti and pistachio-lemon cookies:

Sweet, citrusy, and slightly bitter from the almond…and my customer service experience.

Which reminds me. I watched Elysium yesterday and, after that experience, have decided to start a Worst Recent Watches movie list. You’ll find it in the right sidebar under my Top 20 Recent Reads.
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ore-dumplings/

August 10, 2014

Photos: Vancouver’s Golden Dumpling Cook Off, Akemi

Guess what we had for lunch today? Why, yes! How’d you know?

Today, Akemi and I headed down to Chinatown for Vancouver’s Golden Dumpling Cook Off, featuring signature dumplings from a variety of local chefs, all in support of The Chinese Elders Community Kitchen. The purchase of a “golden dumpling passport” got you a dumpling at each of the 20 event participants. Unfortunately, advance passports sold out weeks ago – BUT 1oo passports were to be made available on a “first come first buy” basis on the day so Akemi and I got there early, well ahead of the noon kick-off.

We joined about two dozen people in line at 11:00 a.m. By the time the passports went on sale an hour later, there were well over a hundred people waiting.

As we inched along, I kept doing the math in my head. We were 20th and 21st in line. If the people ahead of us each got a ticket, there’d be plenty left for us. Hell, they could buy an average of five tickets each and we’d still be okay. But more than five...

Fortunately, there were still plenty of passports available by the time we reached the ticket table. I, of course, purchased two because: a) I wasn’t sharing and, b) I was counting on Akemi being a light eater and passing on the foie gras and truffle dumplings which would mean more for me.

Once we had our passport and chopsticks (which we were instructed not to lose as they were apparently in short supply), we waded into the crowd...

Each stand had its own mini line-up. After making your way to the front, someone would stamp your passport after which you’d be handed a dumpling. After a while, to save time, we would simply eat our dumplings while waiting in line for more dumplings.

There were quite a variety of dumplings on display, from obvious Asian influenced entries to Italian, Indian, and Mexican-inspired offerings.

The full line-up:

Ask For Luigi: Chicken Liver Capelletti in Brodo with Pancetta and Sage (Chef Letitia Wan)

Bearfoot Bistro: Duck and Shrimp Dumplings with Lemongrass and Fried Garlic (Chef Jimmy Stewart)

Bambudda: Fried Nest Dumpling, Spot Prawn Mayo, Seaweed Powder (Chef Scott Korzack)

Bestie: Smokey Bison Wonton with Chili Jam and Kohlrabi Slaw (Chef Colin Johnson)

Campagnolo: Ricotta and Kale Gnudi, Local Tomatoes, Ricotta Salata (Chefs Nathan Lowey and Joachim Hayward)

Cibo Trattoria: Braised Pork and Fig Agnoli with Taleggio and Crispy Sage (Chef Faizal Kassam)

Cinara: Pork and Swiss Chard Agnolotti (Chefs Lucas Syme and Gill Book)

Danso: Kimchee Mandoo Dumpling

Gyuu: Pork & Shrimp Dumpling wrapped with Dumpling Wrapper and Tofu Bag (Chef Yuki Ota)

Harvest Community Foods: Pork Ramen in a Dumpling (Chef Hokuto Yamanka)

Homer Street Cafe & Bar: Chicken and Leek Dumpling (Chef Tret Jordan)

La Mezcaleria: Braised Beef Chicharron and Guajillo Chili Sauce Dumpling (Chef Alejandro Cruz)

Maenam: Thai Seafood Dumpling in Southern Style Tumeric Curry (Chef Angus An)

Merchant’s Oyster Bar: Braised Duck and Smoked Plum, House Buttermilk and Shiso Sauce (Chef David Jackman)

Pidgin: Sweet Potato and Chocolate Dumplings (Chef Makoto Ono)

Railtown Cafe: No idea. Went by twice and they were having trouble getting food out both times so I skipped it.

The Union: Red Curry Duck Lychee Potsticker (Chef Lisa Henderson)

Vij’s: Chicken Samos (Chef Vikram Vij)

Wildebeest: Foie Gras and Duck Dumpling (Chef Wesley Young)

Winner Winner: Coastal Dumplings – Local Crab and Shellfish Parcels with Preserved Duck Egg Yolks and Seasoned Vinegar (Chefs Alain Chow, Chen-Wei Lee, Stanley Yung)

A crazy amount of dumplings and I managed to sample them all – with the exception of Railtown Cafe that seemed to be having trouble with their steamer. The first time I went by, they had no dumplings on the table and, half an hour later when I went by again – same problem. Some hits, some misses as well, but my favorite was the entry from Maenam’s Angus An – that ended up winning the event as the crowd favorite. Second place went to Winner Winner. La Mezcaleria took third.

A great time was had by all – but especially me since, as expected, I ended up polishing off most of Akemi’s dumplings as well.

May skip dinner tonight.
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...irts-and-boxy/

August 11, 2014

Video: Jelly

Photos: Jelly, Bubba, Lulu, Joe Mallozzi, Akemi

Well, I got that second opinion on Jelly’s hip. Apparently, she dislocated it a while ago. It’s an old injury and that makes it even harder to treat. Popping it back in will be a very painful procedure – and given the deterioration of her hip bones, it’s almost guaranteed to pop out again. Our options are a major surgery to address the issue (and the potential dangers given her advanced age) or treating her with pain meds. Well, the other day, we started her on Gaba-pentin and, so far, so good. She a comfortable night’s sleep...

Then, today, as a special treat, we surprised the pack with smoked bones. They were greatly appreciated...

Also today, I received a treat of my own in the form of a t-shirt delivery from TeeFury (http://www.teefury.com) who offer all sorts of interesting and original shirts for geeks, nerds, and sundry social rogues (I, of course, consider myself part of the latter group). Guess the shows while I model ‘em for ya!

Finally, to show Akemi isn’t be left out of all the fun, here is a picture of her yesterday with her good friend Boxy...
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...my-june-reads/

August 12, 2014

Photos: Books

These are outrageously overdue. Capsule reviews of my June reads. And there were a lot of ‘em…

LAGOON by Nnedi Okorafor

When a mysterious object crashes into the waters off the coast of Lagos, the lives of three strangers are forever changed as they become intermediaries between humanity and an alien race. A mix of scifi, magic, superheroes and Nigerian folklore. It’s certainly unique and an interesting study of Nigerian culture and society, but there’s little subtlety to the writing. It’s all surface with no real depth to the individual scenes and characters. At times, it feels like you’re reading an extremely long fable.

HOT HEAD by Simon Ings

A seemingly unstoppable hundred mile-wide A.I. mining probe is headed towards Earth and the planet’s salvation lies in Malise, a broken combat veteran addicted to military hardware. Cyberpunk cool and incredibly confusing. If you’re able to slog through the first half of the book, things will come together for you at the end.

THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY by Jack Trevor Story

Well, they certainly don’t make ‘em like they used to. And, sometimes, with good reason. Several people come across a body on the outskirts of a small English town and, as each assumes responsibility for the death, hilarity (?) ensues. Mired in silly improbabilities.

WILDWOOD (WILDWOOD CHRONICLES #1) by Colin Melot and Carson Ellis

When her baby brother is spirited away by crows, 12 year old Pru and her nerdy sidekick, Curtis, embark on a grand adventure in The Impassible Wilderness (located somewhere in Portland). Spirited and enjoyable but doesn’t quite attain the heights of Harry Potter or Series of Unfortunate Events.

THE SERPENT OF VENICE by Christopher Moore

The sequel to Moore’s Fool is a bit of Othello, a touch of The Merchant of Venice, a dash of Poe’s Cask of the Amontillado, and a hell of a lot of fun. The rascal fool, Pocket, runs afoul of three dangerous enemies who drug, then entomb him alive. He makes good his escape and seeks revenge, but his plans are both helped and hindered by Othello the Moor of Venice, Shylock a Jewish money-lender, a mysterious sea serpent – and others.

THE TWELVE-FINGERED BOY by John Hornor Jacobs

A promising start is wasted in this tale about an introverted juvenile delinquent with special abilities who piques the interest of some very powerful, very dangerous people. The opening section that centers on the juvenile detention center is terrific, but when the action shifts away from the facility, the narrative devolves into all-too familiar territory.

SPIRAL by Koji Suzuki

The sequel to Ringu (The Ring) offers an engaging development to the familiar mystery as well as an interesting exploration of the “science” behind the curse but, inevitably, it all gets bogged down in the technical details.

AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE (VOL. 1: ESCAPE FROM RIVERDALE) by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla

Archie Andrews and the gang from Riverdale face a zombie apocalypse when their high school dance is crashed by the undead, forcing them to take refuge at Lodge Manor. Surprisingly dark, this grim take on the hitherto silly comic is shockingly effective. Right up there with The Walking Dead and World War Z.

MR. VERTIGO by Paul Auster

A young, St. Louis orphan is taken under the wing of a charming old Svengali who promises to teach him how to fly. Of course learning to fly is a long and laborious process and, in the four years under Yehudi’s tutelage, young Walt develops a familial bond with the old man and a couple of the other colorful characters who make up his entourage. Eventually, Yehudi does teach Walt how to fly and they take their act on the road, wowing crowds across America and learning valuable, often difficult, life lessons along the way. Auster does a marvelous job immersing the readers in this 1920’s setting, and his well-drawn characters are alternately amusing, frustrating, and touching. At times, the story walks that fine line between fantasy and reality and it’s a tough balancing act to pull off. By book’s end, I’m not wholly convinced Auster was wholly successful.

THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin

One of the scariest “vampire” novels I’ve read, this book gets off to a resounding start, featuring some compelling characters and a horrifying contemporary scenario involving a viral outbreak and the government’s inability to contain it. Then, we jump forward in time and the story becomes a cross between Attack on Titan and The Walking Dead, with less interesting characters and a not quite as compelling narrative. It’s still post-apocalyptic fun with plenty of scares, but it pales in comparison to that riveting opening section. It also goes on a little too long.

THE ADJACENT by Christopher Priest

Hmmm. I loved Christopher Priest’s The Inverted World and liked his The Islanders that, while engaging in its “unconnected connectedness”, nevertheless felt just a little obtuse. And while The Islanders may have been a little obtuse, I found The Adjacent downright unfathomable. I enjoyed the sum of its parts but, as a whole, it lost me.

FORTUNE’S PAWN by Rachel Bach

Great adventure and fun characters in this high-flying actioner about a female mercenary who gets a job on a ship called The Glorious Fool crewed by some colorful characters possessed of secrets and hidden agendas. It’s a fast read and I would have absolutely loved it if not for an obtrusive romantic subplot that, unfortunately, undermines our protagonist’s kick-ass personality. And sense of logic.

DOCTOR SLEEP by Stephen King

The sequel to The Shining is significantly different from its predecessor, abandoning the original’s isolated setting with its claustrophobic creepiness in favor of a more open travelogue-like tale pitting a grown-up Danny Torrance against a group of roving white trash vampire-like beings. It’s a Stephen King novel so it’s chock full of great scares, but at times the open road narrative feels a little diffuse and, at the end of the day, less like a sequel and more like a whole other world with a couple of shared characters.

THE OPRHAN MASTER’S SON by Adam Johnson

Jun Do is a professional kidnapper in the service of the great People’s Democratic Republic of North Korean. We trace his rise, from his humble beginnings in a work camp run by his father, up the ranks of the oft-bewildering paranoia-fueled system, to his position of power – and inevitable mental collapse. It’s at this point that the novel veers into ridiculous territory as Jun Do assumes the identity of national hero “Commander Ga” to win the love and freedom of famed actress Sun Moon. The only thing standing in his way: King Jun Il. An absorbing and harrowing social satire, but the quirky characters, with their unbelievable motivations, defy credulity.

THE GIVER by Lois Lowry

A young adult coming-of-age tale set in a “perfect” future where equality and service to The Community trumps individuality. Young Jonas comes of age but, unlike his fellow Twelves who are appointed fairly standard careers, he is proclaimed the new Receiver of Memory, the vessel for all the memories of past generations. As he receives these exciting, bewildering, occasionally painful memories, he begins to question what is and begins a search for what could be. A relatively quick read that, while appealing in its premise, ultimately feels like the opening chapter in a much larger story. Soon to be a major motion picture!

THE LAST POLICEMAN by Ben H. Winters

Maia (Asteroid 2011GV1) is on a collision course with Earth. The planet is doomed. Society is coming apart at the seams. Many of its citizens “go bucket list”. Others choose suicide. But some persevere, maintaining their routines, going into work and doing their jobs. And, in the case of Detective Hank Palace, investigating a murder whose victim was discovered in a fast food rest room. A delightful pre-apocalyptic whodunit.

WE ARE THE GOLDENS by Dana Reinhardt

A story of two sisters and their incredible bond. Nell and Layla are inseparable, the best of friends, drawn even closer by their parents’ divorce. But Nell begins to notice a change in her sister. Layla becomes withdrawn and secretive, and Nell suspects it may have something to do with a popular high school teacher. Restrained and real. Wonderful but for the ending that leaves us hanging.

ATTACHMENTS by Rainbow Rowell

Lincoln O’Neill’s job is to read emails. Other people’s emails. As the newsroom’s Internet Security Officer, he keeps tabs on intra-company correspondence for possible red flag behavior. What at first strikes him as a suspect, even creepy task, grows increasingly fascinating as he begins to monitor the exchanges of two positively delightful employees. One, in particular, captures his interest – in more than a professional way. The novel presents a wonderfully dicey moral dilemma – that it fails to fully explore, ultimately letting our conflicted, guilt-ridden protagonist off the hook. Great, breezy, clever writing. Darkly humorous. Then, about halfway through, takes a turn for the implausibly cloying.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...and-a-mailbag/

August 13, 2014

Yashaaa! * (*Made-up exclamation of satisfaction with a recent accomplishment. Yoshay! is an accepted variation). Just finished a first draft of episode #4! Initially, I thought it was going to be long but, in the end, it actually turned out a little long. I had WAAAAY too much fun with this one. I’m going to go over it tomorrow and Friday, then send it Paul’s way – so that he can have something to look forward to this weekend. Not that he hasn’t been keeping busy as well. He finished his pass on the pilot and is now doing a pass on my script for episode #2. Meanwhile, we received a first draft of episode #3 from “mystery writer” and it’s great. Mainly page notes, reminders to include a couple of beats that payoff what has come before or set up beat that will payoff later down the line, and suggested alternate attacks on two scenes – but otherwise, it’s pretty damn tight. And fun! That’s the operative word through these first four scripts – and something viewers can look forward to over the course of the series’ run. It’s going to be a hell of a fun twisty-turny-gripping-exciting FUN ride.

Seriously. Where’s an official announcement when you need one?

Anyway, once Paul has completed his passes on my scripts, he’ll switch gears and actually start on his own scripts – episodes #5 and #6 – which he’ll be writing through September – while I’m in Tokyo/Osaka, presumably enjoying a much-needed break after finishing my next script. Which is what I wanted to talk to Paul about today. I needed to know if he had his heart set on any particular script (besides #5 and #6). Also, wanted to get his opinion on which scripts we should be freelancing out. It’s a tough call. Because the show is so serialized, none of the scripts make good one-off opportunities. In the end, I suggested episodes #8 would be a particularly difficult one to write for someone who wasn’t familiar with the “unique technology” of this world. I expressed an interest in jumping on the script for episode #9 next and Paul was fine with that (he assumed I had a better handle on this story anyway). Although I didn’t mention it, I’d also like to write the second half of the late-season two-parter (episode #11). But I did mention that, since we co-wrote the pilot (episode #1), it’s only fair we co-write the season finale (episode #13). He agreed.

The plan is to polish those first four scripts and get them out there before month’s end so that the rest of the production team knows what we’re working toward. It will also give our prospective freelancers a sense of the show, tone, and characters.

Earlier today, we received some more concept art for the spaceship and space station. Some very cool, very imaginative work. I love the ship and think it’s almost there. Paul and I feel it needs a little more exterior texture, a launch shell for our shuttle, and at least one specifically-positioned airlock. As for armaments, I love the retrofitted look. As tricked-out as possible. We aren’t quite as close on the space station as we’re going to require some fairly specific interiors (that will, of course, need to match our station exteriors in those establishers). But we’re getting there. Paul and I fly to Toronto in the first week of September to discuss and, hopefully, nail down looks for everything (including the bridge and the two other ships that will be making an appearance in the opening two-parter).

But enough of me. What of you? Let’s open the mailbag and see what’s on your mind(s)...

Airelle writes: “Thanks Joe for doing all the leg work in reading these books, have to check some of them out. I just finished The 400 lb gorilla, and still trying to remember all I read.”

Answer: Ah, I remember that one being on my “possible pick-up” list. How was it?

Purple – ultra Stargate Fan writes: “I was there at your first Comic and was happy to meet you.”

Answer: Well, hope to see you at next year’s Comic Con!”

gforce writes: “I also find myself quite interesting in the Afterlife with Archie series. I might actually pick that up.”

Answer: Far surpassed my expectations. Looking forward to the volume 2.

Mike from Canada writes: “Where do you get your smoked bones from? I’m always afraid to give my dog bones, I’ve heard so many stories about dogs dying or getting surgery to fix a perforated colon.”

Answer: I picked them up at my local butcher shop (Market Meats on West 4th Ave.). Jelly and Bubba have maybe six teeth between them so I’m not too worried about them doing much damage. It’s tough little Lulu we have to keep an eye on.

dasndanger writes: “I think I recommended that you read The Passage like…10 years ago.”

Answer: My to-read pile is actually three piles, 25 books deep. Every time I pick a book (at random), it is replaced by a title from my recent-purchase pile – which is usually about 12 deep. My home library holds several hundred books, half of which I have to get around to reading. I’ve read 114 books so far this year. I’m surprised I got around to it that quickly!

dasndanger also writes: “So, Joe…now it’s time for you to recommend – or not – a book to me. The Last Policeman sounds interesting, but right now I can’t take anything that’s too depressing.”

Answer: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Loved it. Reminiscent of Elizabeth Moon’s The Speed of Dark.

Alfredo De La Fe:”Joe, I started reading your blog because of Stargate but I keep reading it because the way you treat your dogs won me over! (Not to mention that I am a bit of a foodie) You are a great example of a good pet owner.”

Answer: Very kind of you. And I’ll be the first to admit: these dogs are spoiled!

dasndanger writes: “RIP sweet lady… http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...f794c3c.jpg“

Answer: She was wonderful. Loved her cameo on The Sopranos.

skua writes: “O Captain! My Captain!”

Answer: Very sad. Whenever I’d hear stories from people who met Robin Williams, they would ALWAYS be extremely positive encounters. He was, by all accounts, a genuinely nice guy.

Mike A. writes: “Haha! Changlorious Basterds. From Community, of course.”

Answer: You’re the second person to I.D. the t-shirts (the other person being the cashier at the Whole Foods checkout).

Tam Dixon writes: “Cool T’s! What’s the translation on that t with an apple?”

Answer: “Death” as in “Death Note”. It’s an anime series. Check it out.

Line Noise writes: “My old friend Boxy! I used to play with him when I was a kid! How did he end up in Vancouver?”

Answer: He was actually headed to Ibiza for a CD launch party but boarded the wrong flight.

Lorinda writes: “Roxie (the dog) is a service dog for my daughter and we wondered if anyone knows any organization who would help pay for the $5000 surgeries.”

Answer: Hmmm. Have you considered doing a GoFundMe? If you do, I’d be happy to put the word out for you.

Roger Reynolds writes: “Do what is right, only you know what that is. If she has more good than bad days, then you’re OK. If not, you’ve got tough decisions to make.”

Answer: Mobility issues aside, she’s in great spirits. She’s very happy and her appetite remains strong.

tinamarlin writes: ” But for pain management and anti-inflammation issues, you might pick up some 100% moringa capsules.”

Answer: Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into this.

Brandon Y. writes: “Obviously we all want the show to return, but the most likely scenario would be a movie.”

Answer: Alas, the fans of the three Stargate television shows are out of luck. MGM has green lit a big screen reboot of the original Devlin and Emmerich movie.

Chapa Siriwardena writes: “also finally I would like to thank Joseph Mallozzi, Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper, Carl Binder and all the team who involved in making SGU for giving us one of the Greatest Sci-Fi TV shows in the television history. Thanks Guys.

Answer: You’re very welcome. Keep your eye out for our new SF series – we can’t announce yet – which premieres in 2015!
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-mini-mailbag/

August 14, 2014

Photos: Roxy, Stargate SG-1 signed script, Jelly

First off, I’d like to direct your attention to a GoFundMe campaign organized by blog reader Lorinda. Her daughter’s service dog, a 12 month old Rottie, requires surgery to repair ligament damage in both knees and it’s a pricey procedure. If you’d like to donate, head on over here: http://www.gofundme.com/roxysknees. And if you’re unable to donate (many may not be in a position to do so), then you can certainly help out by spreading the word and sharing on twitter and Facebook. Thanks! [P.S. - Lorinda, PBMom has offered a lot of great suggestions in this blog's comments section].

Another blog reader, (you may remember) Bethany – and her own service dog, Madoka – have some events upcoming including a silent auction at the end of August. Bethany’s mom, Jennifer, asked me if I could donate something and I suggested a signed script…

Since I’m not in regular contact with the actors and, sadly, can’t just pop by set and get everyone to sign it, I offer my modest signature…BUT, in addition, the script is annotated. Each page of the writer’s draft includes my notes on everything from script changes and trivia to personal anecdotes and insight into “What the hell I was thinking?”.

My pug Jelly, meanwhile, is a service dog only insofar as she requires constant service from me in the form of lifts in and out of the house, up and down the stairs, off of and onto the bed, hip massages, distribution of daily meds, and general cuddles and attention.

She’s doing okay but her hip is clearly giving her problems. Still, she insists on going out for her daily walks, barking at me until I take her out front for her 20 foot/minute (treat-studded) stroll. Yesterday, she was full of beans, getting all the way to the corner before I had to pick her up and carry her back! Today, she barely made it to that little tree in front of my neighbor’s house.

Also, today was her first acupuncture treatment.

It’s supposed to relax her and increase blood flow to the problem areas.

Next up: Hot Stone Massage and a Pedicure!

Mini mailbag:

Mike A. writes: “You know, Joe, with all this talk of scripts, ships, exteriors, space stations, and people we’ll recognize and “know and love”…..if it ain’t Dark Matter, I’m going to be pissed! And if it’s not some of the “old guard” from SG working on it and directing it, I’ll be even more pissed! Let me tell you what I want to see with your new series:

I want to see Mike Dopud in a lead role.

I want to see Amanda Tapping, Andy Mikita, Martin Wood, and Peter DeLuise all directing an episode each. I’ll also accept WIll Waring.

I want to see Brad Wright and Rob Cooper either write an episode together or one each.”

Answer: Well, I’m trying my darndest. Casting is still a couple of months away, but I do have some “familiar faces” in mind. I’ve reached out to a few Stargate script veterans, but much will depend on their respective schedules. As for directors – we’ve generated a preliminary list and, yes, you may recognize a few names.

susiekew writes: “hi joe – one question about your super-secret project … can you at least tell us if it being made for USA or Canada tv? and, maybe, what network?”

Answer: When the series premieres in 2015, it will in the U.S., Canada, Europe and…elsewhere. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you which networks yet.

Purple-Ultra SG Fan writes: “What is the subject of the new SF show coming in 2015?”

Answer: Oh, the usual (for me): Rogues, renegades, redemption, and the value of friendship.

marcstynen writes: “Hi, do you know if Brad Wright or Rober C Cooper has anything in development?”

Answer: Yep, both Brad and Robert have multiple projects in various stages of development. I expect they’ll be making their own grand announcements before year’s end.

Stargate writes: “Re: The Stargate movie reboot. If the new movie(s) does at least okay is there a chance of either a new show in the TV canon or a reboot of the TV show(s)?”

Answer: Unfortunately, I suspect it will be a lose-lose scenario for fans of the television series. If the big screen feature does well, then there’s a possibility they may produce a television series based on the reboot. If it doesn’t, then I suspect the studio will shelf the franchise for a while with an eye to yet another big screen reboot down the line.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...getarian-hero/

August 15, 2014

Video: Joe's sampling vegetarian desserts

Photos: Akemi, dinner at The Acorn Restaurant & Bar

5 days into my 7 day Vegetarian Week, I’ve far surpassed expectations. And, by “far surpassed”, I mean actually doing it. Unlike Pescaterian Week that saw me fall off the wagon four times, I’ve yet to have any meat or meat-derived products (ie. stocks, animals fats, or delicious bacon bit toppings). To be perfectly honest, it hasn’t been as difficult as I thought it would be. I attribute my ongoing success to: 1 part inner strength and personal determination, 12 parts varied recipes from mom’s home kitchen, and fifty-two parts having a massive fruit and oatmeal peanut butter after my morning workout so that I don’t have to worry about lunch.

Last night, Akemi and I took a break from our vegetarian home cooking to check out one of Vancouver’s most lauded vegetarian restaurants: The Acorn Restaurant & Bar that boasts “vegetarian, vegan, & gluten-free dining”!

Okay, come on. Let’s not go crazy here.

So, here’s how it went...

Akemi, rarin’ to go. They have zoodles on the menu!

We decided to forego the appetizers in favor of three main courses. We placed our orders and waited for the feast to begin!

But first, this amazingly delicious non-alcoholic cocktail! Sur Une Plage (On a Beach): Coconut + Chardonnay Reduction Syrup, Vanilla, Fresh Lemon Juice, and Sparkling Water. You know how certain restaurants have that stand-out item you go there to order? Well, in the case of The Acorn, this drink is it. The Chardonnay reduction syrup imparts a delightfully unique flavor. It made me wonder if I could pull off something similar with a bourbon reduction.

Main dish #1: Beer battered halloumi, zucchini and potato pancake, smashed peas, mint yogurt, and lemon balm. I was very pleasantly surprised by this dish – crisp and crunchy with a lovely balance of fresh flavors highlighted by the mint and lemon. Akemi accused me of cheating by ordering something deep-fried.

Main dish #2 (Akemi’s zoodles): Raw zucchini linguini with mint and walnut pesto, arugula, grape tomatoes, lemon zest, and pine nuts. It was advertised as vegan, raw, and gluten-free – and, I thought, pretty much tasted like it. Akemi enjoyed the dish. I enjoyed that mint and walnut pesto that accompanied the “zoodles”.

Main dish #3: Papardelle pasta with chanterelle mushrooms, sweet corn garlic, and basil. This was a good dish that could have been great had they swapped out the papardelle with a more texturally interesting alternative like, say, rigati, ruote, or even conchiglie.

And then, it was on to desserts. We had a a choice of three and decided to try all of them. How’d I like them? Well, here’s a video of me trying all three in succession: first the raw cashew lemon cheesecake, then chocolate-quinoa zucchini cake, and finally the roasted plums with thai basil panna cotta...

I mean, honestly. There’s no excuse for screwing up dessert. It’s not as if you’re hamstrung by all those classic meat-dessert recipes. How bad were they? Well, let’s just say they were so bad I regretted the fact my buddy Carl wasn’t in attendance so I could have had the pleasure of watching him try them.

Two more days of vegetarians and then I’m going to try the paleo diet wit the help of my dietician (and former Stargate Special Features Producer) Ivon Bartok.

Pray for JoJo.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...reatest-fruit/

August 16, 2014

Photos: Fruits

In order of awesomeness...

#10. Coconut

#9. Pear

#8. Papaya

#7. Miracle fruit

#6. Yuzu

#5. Cherry

#4. Watermelon

#3. Blueberry

#2. Avocado

#1. Banana
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...isliked-fruit/

August 17, 2014

Photos: Fruit

This list requires some explanation...

#10. Candied Fruit

Okay, not really a fruit per se, but I include it at number 10 to round out the list – and because my grandmother would always serve us these when we were kids and I always hated them. Tooth-achingly cloying with a weirdly textured “rind” possessed of an almost inorganic quality.

#9 Cantaloupe

I actually like the taste, but I it makes the list because I always experience a weird reaction whenever I eat one. It always feels as tough a thousand tiny scalpels have been taken to the roof of my mouth. Guess I’m mildly allergic. Not that big a deal as it’s not a flavor I crave. At least it’s better than being (in the words of many of today’s youth) “lack toast intolerant”.

#8. Honey Dew Melon

Elicits the same physical reaction as cantaloupe, but minus the deliciousness. A mainstay of every fruit platter ever served, it’s always just-not-quite-ripe.

#7. Currants

They’re always adorning otherwise tasty desserts, like needy wingmen accompanying handsome friends.

#6. Blackberries

Blackberries will find their way off this list and onto my Top 10 Favorites the day someone finds a way to produce a blackberry free of those annoying little seeds that get stuck between your teeth that you keep spitting out for hours after.

#5. Passion Fruit

The inedible seed to edible fruit ratio is way off.

#4. Pomegranate

It too suffers from a terrible inedible see to edible fruit ratio, with the added bonus of being difficult to eat. It also stains your hands.

#3. Durian

Sure, it could’ve been lower but for the fact that the initial flavor is actually quite nice: custardy sweet. The aftertaste, on the other hand, is like a gas leak in your chest.

#2. Cranberries

Apparently, they’re good for urinary tract infections. And not much else.

#1. Kiwi

People insist they’re sweet but every single one I’ve tasted has been tart. Also, this one is like The Guardians of the Galaxy of fruit. It’s okay, but nowhere near as fantastic as fanatics make it out to be. And, for that reason, it gets the #1 slot.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-the-dog-park/

August 18, 2014

Video: Lulu

Photos: Lulu, French Bulldog Meet-Up birthday party, Akemi

Like me, my dogs are homebodies. Jelly is dog bed-ridden while Bubba and Lulu…don’t play well with others. Oh, sure, Jelly enjoys her daily half-block walks. Bubba loves his trips to the farmer’s market. And Lulu may be ambivalent to other dogs, she likes nothing better than to meet people. And so, when I heard that the local French Bulldog Meet-Up group was having a birthday part for one of their own, I thought it might be a great opportunity for Lulu to get out and socialize.

A rundown of the festivities...

Her M.O. is so predictable. The first thing she does when she gets through the park gate is to hop onto the nearest bench and crawl onto someone’s lap.

Partygoer at the refreshment stand.

The hostess brought refreshment for the adults – and loot bags for the kids!

And, of course, cake.

This handsome fellow wanted to make sure I got a shot of him for the society page.

Vino, the birthday boy.

Lulu does the weird sloppy-slidey-shuffle whenever she’s on gravel.

Laid back reveller.

Sniffing out trouble. And cake!

Lulu making the rounds. She’s always go that “Yo, lookit me, *****es!” expression.

Party patrol.

Oh, yeah. Who’s gettin’ some?

Always on her best behavior when treats are involved.

Handsome boy.

I would have put Lulu’s hat on, but she’s got such a small noggin’ I was afraid she’d paper cut her eyeballs.

The birthday boy and mom pose for the pre-cake cutting ceremony.

Akemi makes a new friend.

After some hard partying, Lulu and friend seek the comfort of the shade.

Lulu subtly hints she’s done.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...arian-line-up/

August 19, 2014

Photos: Joe's vegetarian Week

Vegetarian Week was a resounding success – insofar as I went seven full days (plus one for good luck!) without eating either meat or seafood. And, surprisingly, it wasn’t that hard. I didn’t miss it my old eating habits nor was I tempted to fall off the wagon at any point. So, after a week+ of vegetarianism, what’s the upshot? Do I feel any better? Did I lose any weight?

Nope. I feel exactly the same. Absolutely no different.

While I’m pleased with my herculean achievement, I’m not so sure I could have lasted much longer. As I said, I was never jonesing for a hit of ribeye or looking score a kilo of pork, but I attribute much of that to the fact that I kept my meals varied and interesting. But there’s not doubt that, sooner or later, I would have exhausted my bag of culinary tricks.

Still, it was a nice run. Some of the highlights...

Akemi’s cream of mushroom soup topped with roasted oyster mushrooms and truffle oil.

Garlic-roasted oyster mushrooms.

Crispy oven-roasted artichokes.

Akemi’s button mushroom risotto.

And Akemi’s curry cauliflower risotto.

Carrots tossed in olive oil and thyme, roasted and honey-glazed.

Roasted (notice a theme here?) blow-your-lungs-out hot peppers tossed in olive oil and minced garlic.

Fried garlic scapes.

Crispy ceci (chickpeas). I served them with conchiglie (shell pasta).

Akemi’s vegetarian Thai-inspired soup with tofu.

Mom’s savory navy bean and garlic recipe. I served this with piccolini (mini wheel pasta).

Eggplant parm sandwich.

Garlic-fried eggplant.

Lentils with carrots, onions, garlic, and bay leaf.

And then, today for lunch, I ate about a half pound of deli beef tongue.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...t-new-sf-show/

August 20, 2014

We released our official writer’s drafts of episodes 1 and 2 today. Paul and I co-wrote #1 (the pilot), but I did the solo honours on #2. After some discussion, we’ve decided to start writing separately. In truth, we’ve been writing separately for years now, but this is the first time we won’t be sharing the onscreen writing credit. Or Exec Producer credits as we’ll be both be prepping the show through the start of principal photography, but only I will travel to Toronto to oversee production. That’s the plan for season one anyway. Who knows how things will shake out if and when we get that season 2 pick-up.

Delivered notes on episode #3 and hope to have a revised draft by Monday. I’ll jump on it and then send it Paul’s way. He’s going to do a pass on my first draft of episode #4 tomorrow and Friday and then, by end of next week, we should (hopefully) be able to release official writer’s drafts of both of those scripts as well.

Paul has a busy September ahead of him writing episodes #5 and #6. I’ve already sent Robert Cooper the first two scripts as well as a link to the series overview. I’ll be sending him outlines – including the outline to his story, episode #7 – by this weekend. Trevor has already started thinking about episode #8.

I’ve almost 40 pages into the script for episode 9 and I hope to have that done by this weekend as well. A real character-driven story this one, quite dark at times but darkly humorous too.

We’re deep into discussion on directors. There are a few I’ve worked with in the past that I’d REALLY like to work with again. The fact that we’ll be shooting the show in Toronto somewhat complicates matters in that respect – and as far as casting goes as well – but I’m sure we’ll see some familiar faces both in front of and behind the cameras all the same.

Speaking of which – I offered my thoughts on the casting breakdown for our seven roles. We are wide open in terms of age, ethnicity and, in the case of one character, gender.

Next week, we’re going to get on a Skype conference with our production designer in an attempt to hammer out the ship and space station designs. As I mentioned in a previous post, details like the locations of the airlock and the shuttle shell needed to be decided. As far as the look of the space station goes, we’ve seen some incredibly inventive concepts, but we still need to address issues of scale and those all important docking procedures.

I spoke to Vanessa today about the official announcement. Apparently, we’re almost there. Hopefully sometime in September – before I leave for Japan.

Finally, in addition to working on the new show, I took the time to reading a truly awesome book, This Is Where I Leave You by Jonahthan Tropper – highly recommended, and watching a truly awesome series, Fargo created by Noah Hawley who wrote all ten episodes of the show’s self-contained first season – also highly recommended. Hannibal is up next!
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-japan-plans/

August 21, 2014

Photos: Jelly, Poopy, rice burgers, Harry Potter theme park in Osaka

I brought Jelly in to see a specialist last week. After a careful study of the x-rays and the my old gal, he reversed the initial diagnosis of a separated hip. Apparently, upon closer scrutiny, it looks bad – bad it isn’t THAT bad. So that was great news. And then, Tuesday, she was unusually energetic, walking all the way to the corner – and halfway back – before settling down on the grass and insisting I carry her!

That’s the good news. The bad news is she apparently has another bladder infection which means she’s back on antibiotics. But it’s given Akemi the opportunity to buy her some fashionable new duds – including suspenders!

I’m researching interesting events in advance of my Japan trip in September and came across this interesting exhibition called “Toilet?! Human Waste and the Earth’s Future”: http://www.tokyoweekender.com/2014/0...lets-and-poop/

“If you’re still uncomfortable with the topic after entering the exhibit, a choir of singing toilets with friendly faces on the lids might help soothe your nerves, as well as a series of poop samples from different animals to assure you that you’re not alone in the act. You can also recreate the poop you had this morning with blobs of clay and play games involving a target and a urinal.”

Running until October 3rd!

Some Japanese-style fast-food to look forward to. Rice burgers! https://www.yahoo.com/food/what-the-...211558931.html

Meanwhile, this opened in Osaka last month: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-Osaka.html

I was kind of hoping to take in a Hanshin Tigers home game while in Osaka or check out the Grand Sumo Championship while in Tokyo, but Akemi is balking.

Maybe she’d like to check out this place instead: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-Tokyo.html
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X