This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Censoring explicit dialogue in BSG

I was reading the notes for Passage on Battlestar Wiki and came across something interesting:

This is the second episode in which dialog has been censored in the Sci Fi Channel broadcast. Starbuck sarcastically proclaims she gave Dr. Cottle "a different four lettered h-word" in response to Kat saying she gave him her protein bar.
    They did get away with saying "bull****" in the extended cut of Pegasus probably knowing that it wouldn't air on TV. But that isn't the other episode they're referring to. The first instance of censoring was in season 2.0's "Home" in which Adama describes President Adar as a "****" (a four lettered p-word).

What gives? I hear both of these words all the time on Law and Order: SVU which earns a TV-14 rating here in the states, and that's not even a cable show! It's on network TV at 9 pm central time.

I don't get why Sci Fi feels the need to censor these words. "Frak" is a pretty obvious reference to our f-word and they say it all the time. The show is already getting a TV-14 rating most of the time, and for things far worse than distasteful language. I think by altering the dialogue, they're altering the characters. Your thoughts?

There was a really blatant censoring of language in a recent episode, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The Admiral was saying something, and it wasn't "frak" and it got silenced. Crap!

(PS - What's a four-lettered p-word? All the ones I know [read: use] are five... )
    Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
      (PS - What's a four-lettered p-word? All the ones I know [read: use] are five... )
      So I can't count. No one warned me I'd need to know how to do that in life I was actually gonna write a synonym that rhymes with it but decided against that too (I'm not sure what the code of conduct on here is). I must have counted up how many letters are in there.

I'm not sure of the one you're referring to, but I hope if they did silence it, it will be restored for the DVD release. Family Guy is notorious for just bleeping things left and right, but for the DVD release, you have the option to watch the uncensored version.

EDIT - Wow. I just rewatched the scene in the Passage again, and they just silenced it. In "Home," they redid the script. Adama calls Adar and idiot instead of that five lettered word. I have high hopes for these recent censorings being restored for the DVD.

Comment

Apparently, they show the uncensored versions in Canada, and certainly here in Finland (with subtitles), and apparently also in later re-runs in the States. The iTunes versions are uncensored too, as far as I know. Just means that people who're sick of the censorship will watch either the later airings or buy stuff off iTunes, lowering the ratings for that crucial first showing. Frankly, they're not using any words the average 14 year old doesn't know, so the censorship is really silly.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
          There was a really blatant censoring of language in a recent episode, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The Admiral was saying something, and it wasn't "frak" and it got silenced.
          I think that was the b-word that begins with an animal people run from in Pamplona.

How's that for forum etiquette?
          Frak! --Apollo
          Frak you. --Cain
          FRAK Me! --Kat
          frakwit! --Tyrol
          B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

I know in Hero that Bill said it was nice that the Cylons hadn't beaten the BS attitude out of Novacek. I catch my eps on iTunes, though, so they don't censor them...
            War... war never changes

Comment

Heh. Interesting. So that marks the second time the s word shows up in the BSG universe (the first being the extended cut of Pegasus).

I guess I'd rather have them censor it then rewrite the dialogue like they did in "Home". I thought that was the first instance of censoring. I guess I was wrong.

Comment

Censorship sucks. Here in Canada, there are many fewer restrictions on what can be shown/said on TV, even in primetime. I've heard Canadian TV shows say all manner of words (words that start with f, with sh, with c...) and show all sorts of scenes that wouldn't be shown on American primetime.
                sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

The language thing isn't 100% on the FCC. I've caught The Shield and Nip/Tuck on FX saying BS or talking about "giving head" pretty often. I think those two situations this season were decisions made by Sci-Fi.
                  War... war never changes

Comment

Originally posted by Ojos View Post
                    I think those two situations this season were decisions made by Sci-Fi.
                    I know it is, because according to Battlestar Wiki, they changed Adama's line from that p-word to idiot in "Home." But wanna know what's weird about that? NBC/Universal control USA and Sci Fi. SVU airs on NBC and is rerun on USA. They use that p-word and h-word quite often. I don't see the big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by K07 View Post
                      I know it is, because according to Battlestar Wiki, they changed Adama's line from that p-word to idiot in "Home." But wanna know what's weird about that? NBC/Universal control USA and Sci Fi. SVU airs on NBC and is rerun on USA. They use that p-word and h-word quite often. I don't see the big deal.
                      Why quibble over something so minor then? You still got the point, with or without the word.

I can see how it might get annoying if they have to do it every episode, but we're talking 40-ish episodes and its only been done three times.
                      War... war never changes

Comment

Working...
                      X