Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at the recent Con in London and Paul gave every indication of thoroughly enjoying his time on Atlantis. He spoke very positively about it. When asked about his character's fate, he replied (very appropriately) that he couldn't comment until the episode had aired, but that TPTB listen to what the fans said. I, along with others, interpreted this as meaning he wanted us to express our support for him. It would certainly make more sense that way, than if he was wanting to leave.

Comment

nawww! beckett!!!...
      but does anyone know if its true that theyre gonna try and do tghe same to paul what they did to rainbow???
      with the whole he leaves but returns for a few eps??
      paul you will be missed!

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
        If characters were entirely THAT important, shows like ER and Law and Order wouldn't have made it 1/10th as far as they have.
        Not all shows are character driven. Stargate is one that, to me, is suppose to be character driven.

With the shows you mentioned, the key difference is, most of those actors left of their own choosing, not because the writers could not write for them. They were not canned. The exception being, Alex Kingston and quiet honestly I was extremely ticked at TPTB's actions with this character and actor and stopped watching for a long time. Now I only tune in occasionally to ER.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
          Not all shows are character driven. Stargate is one that, to me, is suppose to be character driven.

With the shows you mentioned, the key difference is, most of those actors left of their own choosing, not because the writers could not write for them. They were not canned. The exception being, Alex Kingston and quiet honestly I was extremely ticked at TPTB's actions with this character and actor and stopped watching for a long time. Now I only tune in occasionally to ER.
          Right now, we don't know the reason behind PM's probably forced leaving.
          I'm just saying, I won't be surrpised to discover SciFi are behind this, rather than the writers.
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I don't know why Beckett isn't the main character of the show from a storyline viewpoint.

Atlantis is a scientific expedition. They were sent to the Pegasus galaxy in hopes of finding new tech in the war against Earth's enemies in the Milky Way. When they got there, they found new tech, but also found new enemies.

They're using genetic manipulation to activiate the Ancient gene in Earthers so they can interface with the Ancient tech. They are using genetic manipulation on the Wraith. There should be more exploration of medical issues and ethics in the show. That would be a very timely topic to persue.

SG1 has (had, sob!) the corner on the military stuff and how the Ancients are part of our mythology and weird religions. Atlantis should be looking at the science side and the moral questions about medical research. And Beckett would be right in the middle of it, since he's both a medical doctor and the foremost Wraith and Ancient geneticist. They touch on it briefly, but just briefly.

The writers are missing the boat here. Seems to me they're science geeks, but not medical ones.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              First they get rid of Ford, now Beckett. Not a good move at all IMO. Such a shame too. Personally, I really liked Paul as Carson on the show.
              well ford leaving was a blessing

Beckett leaving ........is a to the fans

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
                I don't know why Beckett isn't the main character of the show from a storyline viewpoint.

Atlantis is a scientific expedition. They were sent to the Pegasus galaxy in hopes of finding new tech in the war against Earth's enemies in the Milky Way. When they got there, they found new tech, but also found new enemies.

They're using genetic manipulation to activiate the Ancient gene in Earthers so they can interface with the Ancient tech. They are using genetic manipulation on the Wraith. There should be more exploration of medical issues and ethics in the show. That would be a very timely topic to persue.
                I like Carson, but I don't see him, or any medical doctor being the central character to the storyline. The show is still Stargate, and the goal is still the same..to acquire new technology and weaponry to defend Earth. Carson has been used very well and very poorly. There is a need for a medical doctor and the episodes he has had value in proves that. I'm sorry to see him go, but I can understand where it would be difficult to incorporate the character into every episode and have his appearances in every episode be valid and not just ...we have to give this character screen time.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post

SG1 has (had, sob!) the corner on the military stuff and how the Ancients are part of our mythology and weird religions. Atlantis should be looking at the science side and the moral questions about medical research. And Beckett would be right in the middle of it, since he's both a medical doctor and the foremost Wraith and Ancient geneticist. They touch on it briefly, but just briefly.

The writers are missing the boat here. Seems to me they're science geeks, but not medical ones.
                  I agree. So write letters to them and tell them we want Beckett back. And keep writing until they listen. I'm going to the con in Vancouver in March. I'll hand around a petition for people to sign to have Paul brought back. But people who are not going to the con need to do their part too.
                  Last edited by Arctic Goddess; 20 January 2007, 05:05 PM.
                  Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

In the tradition of The Larry Sanders Show, Starcrossed, a high touch, high-tech comedy, obliterates the fourth wall with its behind-the-scenes antics. Throwing in a bitter dose of "Galaxy Quest" cynicism for good measure, David Hewlett (Stargate Atlantis) will draw on his own experiences to pen this quirky half-hour about life behind the camera at a long-running sci-fi space soap. Jane Loughman and John G. Lenic are serving as executive producers, with NBC Universal Television Studio on board as the production entity.

There could well be a connection between the show and Hewlett's new independent film "A Dog's Breakfast," which also features a fictional sci-fi soap opera called Starcrossed.
                    Spoiler:
                    Perhaps Paul McGillion will be cast as lead

Comment

I would love that. =) Paul for the win!
                      sigpic

Comment

I think Hewlett's going to have to be careful how much he wants to Lampoon stargate to avoid the wrath of TPTB.
                        You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
                        And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Originally posted by trudy View Post
                          This is really too bad. They seem to be headed down the SG-1 path, where they get rid of or lost one character after another until finally the show sinks. I think producers and writers have no clue about how much of fan attachment to a series depends on the actors/characters, and the interaction between the characters.

(I'd still watch SG-1 if miraculously it gets renewed, it just isn't must see any more. In my reality RDA and Teryl come back, Carolyn Lamb is never seen again, and RDA is actually used as opposed to having walkons. I'd like Don Davis back as well, although Bridges does a great job, but I gather Don has health issues.)

McGillion and Rodney are the only two characters I watch Atlantis for.
                          Well one thing most everyone knows about RDA leaving SG-1 is that it was HIS choice to leave, so that he can retire. Maybe McGillion made the same or similar choice. Maybe it was his choice to leave.

I haven't been able to find any information on the reasons for Paul leaving the show, and from the posts in this thread I'm guessing nobody else has found any info either. For all we know he might have gotten another job offer that pays more. Maybe they fired him because he was complaining too much about how much screen time he got (I highly doubt it though). Heck, He might have his own personal reasons from leaving the show (someone in his family got hurt/sick and he has to spend more time taking care of them (I hope not)), and that would explain the lack of information about his leaving as I'm guessing he'd want to keep personal matters personal.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's unfair to the producers, who work hard to bring us a great show, that people assume it's their incompetence and blame everything on them.

The only thing we know for sure is Mr. McGillion didn't die in real life. If that were the case, there would have been a "In Loving Memory" message at the end of this week's episode. Also, if something like that were the reason behind the writing off of Paul's character, then I'm sure the producers would have told us so we, the fans, could grieve along with his family.

As Ronon said to McKay; "What's done is done." The only thing we can hope for is that their plan is to pull another "Shanks" and somehow bring him back a season from now or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Luther View Post
                            Well one thing most everyone knows about RDA leaving SG-1 is that it was HIS choice to leave, so that he can retire. Maybe McGillion made the same or similar choice. Maybe it was his choice to leave.

I haven't been able to find any information on the reasons for Paul leaving the show, and from the posts in this thread I'm guessing nobody else has found any info either. For all we know he might have gotten another job offer that pays more. Maybe they fired him because he was complaining too much about how much screen time he got (I highly doubt it though). Heck, He might have his own personal reasons from leaving the show (someone in his family got hurt/sick and he has to spend more time taking care of them (I hope not)), and that would explain the lack of information about his leaving as I'm guessing he'd want to keep personal matters personal.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's unfair to the producers, who work hard to bring us a great show, that people assume it's their incompetence and blame everything on them.

The only thing we know for sure is Mr. McGillion didn't die in real life. If that were the case, there would have been a "In Loving Memory" message at the end of this week's episode. Also, if something like that were the reason behind the writing off of Paul's character, then I'm sure the producers would have told us so we, the fans, could grieve along with his family.

As Ronon said to McKay; "What's done is done." The only thing we can hope for is that their plan is to pull another "Shanks" and somehow bring him back a season from now or something.
                            We actually do know one thing for certain and thats that Paul McGillion didn't leave Atlantis on his own accord. A message from his own site confirms this:

On another note I am truley overwhelmed by the support that is happening for 'Carson Beckett'. Although I can not comment on the situation at this time, please know that I have had the time of my life working on 'Atlantis' and would embrace the chance to keep the good Doctor around!
                            Lots of Luv
                            Paul

Comment

i just saw "Sunday" THE PRODUCERS LIED TO US!!!
                              Smith reportedly told fans that Dr. Beckett won't be killed off, but instead will disappear in the second half of the current season.
                              Spoiler:
                              Beckett is killed, the ep ends with a memorial in the Atlantis gateroom followed by Sheppards team carrying his coffin to Earth

Comment

Originally posted by Masta_G View Post
                                i just saw "Sunday" THE PRODUCERS LIED TO US!!!
                                Spoiler:
                                Beckett is killed, the ep ends with a memorial in the Atlantis gateroom followed by Sheppards team carrying his coffin to Earth
                                Yeah, I don't know what that was about. Who was the source for that bit from Smith? Was it from a con report, or is it from GW?

Comment

Working...
                                X