Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Thread: Paul McGillion leaving.... to new show?

Staff Sergeant Capt.Mal Reynolds's Avatar
    In my own little world ....missing Jessica :(

Default Re: Paul McGillion leaving.... to new show?

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    First they get rid of Ford, now Beckett. Not a good move at all IMO. Such a shame too. Personally, I really liked Paul as Carson on the show.
    well ford leaving was a blessing

Beckett leaving ........is a to the fans

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by watcher652 View Post
    I don't know why Beckett isn't the main character of the show from a storyline viewpoint.

Atlantis is a scientific expedition. They were sent to the Pegasus galaxy in hopes of finding new tech in the war against Earth's enemies in the Milky Way. When they got there, they found new tech, but also found new enemies.

They're using genetic manipulation to activiate the Ancient gene in Earthers so they can interface with the Ancient tech. They are using genetic manipulation on the Wraith. There should be more exploration of medical issues and ethics in the show. That would be a very timely topic to persue.
    I like Carson, but I don't see him, or any medical doctor being the central character to the storyline. The show is still Stargate, and the goal is still the same..to acquire new technology and weaponry to defend Earth. Carson has been used very well and very poorly. There is a need for a medical doctor and the episodes he has had value in proves that. I'm sorry to see him go, but I can understand where it would be difficult to incorporate the character into every episode and have his appearances in every episode be valid and not just ...we have to give this character screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher652 View Post
    I don't know why Beckett isn't the main character of the show from a storyline viewpoint.

Atlantis is a scientific expedition. They were sent to the Pegasus galaxy in hopes of finding new tech in the war against Earth's enemies in the Milky Way. When they got there, they found new tech, but also found new enemies.

They're using genetic manipulation to activiate the Ancient gene in Earthers so they can interface with the Ancient tech. They are using genetic manipulation on the Wraith. There should be more exploration of medical issues and ethics in the show. That would be a very timely topic to persue.

SG1 has (had, sob!) the corner on the military stuff and how the Ancients are part of our mythology and weird religions. Atlantis should be looking at the science side and the moral questions about medical research. And Beckett would be right in the middle of it, since he's both a medical doctor and the foremost Wraith and Ancient geneticist. They touch on it briefly, but just briefly.

The writers are missing the boat here. Seems to me they're science geeks, but not medical ones.
    I agree. So write letters to them and tell them we want Beckett back. And keep writing until they listen. I'm going to the con in Vancouver in March. I'll hand around a petition for people to sign to have Paul brought back. But people who are not going to the con need to do their part too.
    Last edited by Arctic Goddess; January 20th, 2007 at 05:05 PM.

Beckett Starcrossed

In the tradition of The Larry Sanders Show, Starcrossed, a high touch, high-tech comedy, obliterates the fourth wall with its behind-the-scenes antics. Throwing in a bitter dose of "Galaxy Quest" cynicism for good measure, David Hewlett (Stargate Atlantis) will draw on his own experiences to pen this quirky half-hour about life behind the camera at a long-running sci-fi space soap. Jane Loughman and John G. Lenic are serving as executive producers, with NBC Universal Television Studio on board as the production entity.

There could well be a connection between the show and Hewlett's new independent film "A Dog's Breakfast," which also features a fictional sci-fi soap opera called Starcrossed.
    Spoiler:
    Perhaps Paul McGillion will be cast as lead

Default Re: Starcrossed

I would love that. =) Paul for the win!

Chief Master Sergeant Indum'kra's Avatar

Default Re: Starcrossed

I think Hewlett's going to have to be careful how much he wants to Lampoon stargate to avoid the wrath of TPTB.
    You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
    And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Chief Master Sergeant Dex Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trudy View Post
    This is really too bad. They seem to be headed down the SG-1 path, where they get rid of or lost one character after another until finally the show sinks. I think producers and writers have no clue about how much of fan attachment to a series depends on the actors/characters, and the interaction between the characters.

(I'd still watch SG-1 if miraculously it gets renewed, it just isn't must see any more. In my reality RDA and Teryl come back, Carolyn Lamb is never seen again, and RDA is actually used as opposed to having walkons. I'd like Don Davis back as well, although Bridges does a great job, but I gather Don has health issues.)

McGillion and Rodney are the only two characters I watch Atlantis for.
    Well one thing most everyone knows about RDA leaving SG-1 is that it was HIS choice to leave, so that he can retire. Maybe McGillion made the same or similar choice. Maybe it was his choice to leave.

I haven't been able to find any information on the reasons for Paul leaving the show, and from the posts in this thread I'm guessing nobody else has found any info either. For all we know he might have gotten another job offer that pays more. Maybe they fired him because he was complaining too much about how much screen time he got (I highly doubt it though). Heck, He might have his own personal reasons from leaving the show (someone in his family got hurt/sick and he has to spend more time taking care of them (I hope not)), and that would explain the lack of information about his leaving as I'm guessing he'd want to keep personal matters personal.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's unfair to the producers, who work hard to bring us a great show, that people assume it's their incompetence and blame everything on them.

The only thing we know for sure is Mr. McGillion didn't die in real life. If that were the case, there would have been a "In Loving Memory" message at the end of this week's episode. Also, if something like that were the reason behind the writing off of Paul's character, then I'm sure the producers would have told us so we, the fans, could grieve along with his family.

As Ronon said to McKay; "What's done is done." The only thing we can hope for is that their plan is to pull another "Shanks" and somehow bring him back a season from now or something.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dex Luther View Post
    Well one thing most everyone knows about RDA leaving SG-1 is that it was HIS choice to leave, so that he can retire. Maybe McGillion made the same or similar choice. Maybe it was his choice to leave.

I haven't been able to find any information on the reasons for Paul leaving the show, and from the posts in this thread I'm guessing nobody else has found any info either. For all we know he might have gotten another job offer that pays more. Maybe they fired him because he was complaining too much about how much screen time he got (I highly doubt it though). Heck, He might have his own personal reasons from leaving the show (someone in his family got hurt/sick and he has to spend more time taking care of them (I hope not)), and that would explain the lack of information about his leaving as I'm guessing he'd want to keep personal matters personal.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's unfair to the producers, who work hard to bring us a great show, that people assume it's their incompetence and blame everything on them.

The only thing we know for sure is Mr. McGillion didn't die in real life. If that were the case, there would have been a "In Loving Memory" message at the end of this week's episode. Also, if something like that were the reason behind the writing off of Paul's character, then I'm sure the producers would have told us so we, the fans, could grieve along with his family.

As Ronon said to McKay; "What's done is done." The only thing we can hope for is that their plan is to pull another "Shanks" and somehow bring him back a season from now or something.
    We actually do know one thing for certain and thats that Paul McGillion didn't leave Atlantis on his own accord. A message from his own site confirms this:

On another note I am truley overwhelmed by the support that is happening for 'Carson Beckett'. Although I can not comment on the situation at this time, please know that I have had the time of my life working on 'Atlantis' and would embrace the chance to keep the good Doctor around!
    Lots of Luv
    Paul

Probie
    Vancouver, B.C., Canada(Stargate central)

i just saw "Sunday" THE PRODUCERS LIED TO US!!!
    Smith reportedly told fans that Dr. Beckett won't be killed off, but instead will disappear in the second half of the current season.
    Spoiler:
    Beckett is killed, the ep ends with a memorial in the Atlantis gateroom followed by Sheppards team carrying his coffin to Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Masta_G View Post
    Spoiler:
    Beckett is killed, the ep ends with a memorial in the Atlantis gateroom followed by Sheppards team carrying his coffin to Earth
    Yeah, I don't know what that was about. Who was the source for that bit from Smith? Was it from a con report, or is it from GW?

Probie
    Vancouver, B.C., Canada(Stargate central)

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

I saw a video clip of N. John Smith saying that...Joe Flanigan was sitting next to him and looked pretty uncomfortable with the whole thing (the Beckett situation, not the con).

Photography | dA1 | dA2 | Fan Art | Fanfic | Tumblr
    New Fanfics:

Stargate Atlantis: Exile - Three years after Enemy at the Gate, the Wraith launch a devastating attack on Earth...

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis: Revelations - How each and every main character reacted after they found out about the Stargate's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by sueKay View Post
    I saw a video clip of N. John Smith saying that...Joe Flanigan was sitting next to him and looked pretty uncomfortable with the whole thing (the Beckett situation, not the con).
    I bet. It seems like a really uncomfortable situation.

Quote Originally Posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
    I bet. It seems like a really uncomfortable situation.
    Doesn't it just! I feel really sorry for Paul and Torri, losing thier jobs, thier livleyhoods just to bring over a charcter most people don't want must be awful for them.

We reported second-hand information as reported by multiple independent sources. I wasn't there to hear exactly what John Smith said.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

The Official Toe Wiggler
    (Moderator)

Smith reportedly told fans that Dr. Beckett won't be killed off, but instead will disappear in the second half of the current season.
    Technically it isn't a lie.
    Spoiler:
    Carson fades away when his ghost is talking with Rodney and that can be considered disappearing.

Technically it isn't a lie but it is an attempt to mislead the fans, probably to take heat off of them during the con.
    Last edited by Rosehawk; January 21st, 2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Watched the episode

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    We actually do know one thing for certain and thats that Paul McGillion didn't leave Atlantis on his own accord. A message from his own site confirms this:
    Spoiler:
    On another note I am truley overwhelmed by the support that is happening for 'Carson Beckett'. Although I can not comment on the situation at this time, please know that I have had the time of my life working on 'Atlantis' and would embrace the chance to keep the good Doctor around!
    Lots of Luv
    Paul

I understand emotions are running high. However, he does not state he was FORCED to leave. He just said if he could he would continue to be the doctor. He doesn't say why he can't. It could be contract or it could be something else beyond his control. (sick family member maybe?)

We cannot ASSUME he has been FIRED based on what LITTLE has been said..

Quote Originally Posted by flynn1959 View Post
    Doesn't it just! I feel really sorry for Paul and Torri, losing thier jobs, thier livleyhoods just to bring over a charcter most people don't want must be awful for them.
    And just who might that be?

*Sarcasm*Gee--Torrie is LOSING her job? I thought her statuse was reduced! I had no idea she was FIRED or had been WRITTEN OUT, yet. How did she die? I bet it would be better than an exploding tumor.*sarcasm*

Torri has NOT lost her LIVELYHOOD! She is still employed--how many episodes she will be in has not been annouced. If they annouce she will be in four episodes or less--then you guys can claim mutiny.

Second Lieutenant

i still miss ford better than ronin. now they are taking the doctor?

Ronin is cool but not as a regular...he's the kind of character you want to be one dimensonal.