This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travelling

One thing that often bothers me and that is left out from almost any time travelling story is problem of LOCATION of your target in time-space continuum.

Let's say you travel just one hour in your past. You click time travel device and it sends you to same location where you are right now, but 1 hour earlier.
    Simple so far?

But Earth WASN'T here one hour ago... it was some 67000 miles away - taking in consideration only Earth's orbit around Sun. And Sun also is in orbit around garvity center of Milky way and orbits it at 135 miles per hour. While Milky Way is also in orbit in our local cluster, which is again part of larger cluster...

So, how do you get in precise location?

http://www.chron.com/content/interac...ds/990602.html

The Earth rotates on its axis at about 1,100 miles an hour, a motion that creates day and night.

The Earth orbits the sun at about 67,000 miles an hour, a motion that takes one year.

The sun circles the Milky Way at a speed of about 486,000 miles per hour. And every object in the universe is moving apart from the other objects as the universe expands at a constantly accelerating rate.
    I am sorry if i reopened some old discussion, but this is something that always bothers me when i see time travelling... Space isn't static, it is in constant motion and further you go from your own time, the further you need to be from your current location in space.

You don't have to just travel in time, you need very complicated calculations to get to acctual location (if it is even possible to do it at all)
    VISIT AND JOIN

Originally posted by silence View Post
    One thing that often bothers me and that is left out from almost any time travelling story is problem of LOCATION of your target in time-space continuum.

Let's say you travel just one hour in your past. You click time travel device and it sends you to same location where you are right now, but 1 hour earlier.
    Simple so far?

But Earth WASN'T here one hour ago... it was some 67000 miles away - taking in consideration only Earth's orbit around Sun. And Sun also is in orbit around garvity center of Milky way and orbits it at 135 miles per hour. While Milky Way is also in orbit in our local cluster, which is again part of larger cluster...

So, how do you get in precise location?

http://www.chron.com/content/interac...ds/990602.html

I am sorry if i reopened some old discussion, but this is something that always bothers me when i see time travelling... Space isn't static, it is in constant motion and further you go from your own time, the further you need to be from your current location in space.

You don't have to just travel in time, you need very complicated calculations to get to acctual location (if it is even possible to do it at all)
    SKN
    sigpic

Comment

It's something that's just glossed over. The writers rely on the fact that the average viewer doesn't know about the Solar System moving through space, or doesn't care. Everybody knows the Earth moves (or they should), they just don't think about it when people talk about time travel. So they just have people travelling in time, without worrying about travelling through space as well.

Maybe the time-travelling puddlejumper has special circuitry to calculate the necessary adjustments so it travels through space as well as time, to get to the right point in both. Who knows? For most viewers, who cares?
      C-D
      Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
        It's something that's just glossed over. The writers rely on the fact that the average viewer doesn't know about the Solar System moving through space, or doesn't care. Everybody knows the Earth moves (or they should), they just don't think about it when people talk about time travel. So they just have people travelling in time, without worrying about travelling through space as well.

Maybe the time-travelling puddlejumper has special circuitry to calculate the necessary adjustments so it travels through space as well as time, to get to the right point in both. Who knows? For most viewers, who cares?
        Heh.. i am aware of all this, i just wanted to see if people here would agree with me. Most stories about time travel would be impossible if they acctually took into account constant motion of universe.

At least into past... for travelling into future it might be possible. If device used can act as sort of anchor while travelling through time-space continuum, then it would be possible to use travel.. at least that's what i think... and as long as such device is operational offcourse.
        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

The way i see it, is that if you are a race advanced enough too acctually invent a time travel device, they your probably smart enough to add in the calculations needed to figure out where in space you should be going back too. Dont you think ??

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post

Simple so far?

Accually Earth spins on its axis so you woulnt be above the same country. we go round the sun once a year. The only way we wouldnt be above the Earth is if we went back by a month or two.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

well i think that time travel in stargate has kinda been beaten to death they use it when they want to tie up loose strings and make it kinda make sense but then it opens a bigger can of worms.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ur uncle urgo View Post
                well i think that time travel in stargate has kinda been beaten to death they use it when they want to tie up loose strings and make it kinda make sense but then it opens a bigger can of worms.
                yeah that is true
                sigpic
                Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                  Accually
                  Earth spins on its axis so you woulnt be above the same country. we go
                  round the sun once a year. The only way we wouldnt be above the Earth
                  is if we went back by a month or two.

Although you are right, if you traveled any distance into the past or future, their is stellar drift so it doesn't matter how much you travel, youll still not be in the same place. Thats why most time traveling stories that mention this problem involved explaining that the device used to time travel is also able to travel through space.
                  sigpichttp://www.cafepress.com/newancients

Comment

lets me just make this point the writters really dont care if it fits the story it works they have kind of leaned away from the nom more and more.

Comment

i apologize if this will be hard to understand but note that english is not my native language. a while ago i studied singularities in space. a black holes gravitational force is so great that even light cant escape its pull. there is actually light (white light) in the black hole it self, but it turns and circles the black hole. however the gravitational pull is so great that space around it becomes effected too. it becomes curved. some theories suggest that a window in our space and time is needed in order to travel in time. maybe a disfigure in our space/time can be used as a window.

although i cant say if anything can survive travel through this "window" that still leaves us with the question where we'll exit it. i belive at the same point we entered it. and if we wanted to go back in time to a specified destination we'd have to still travel to it. i dont belive we can travel in time and in space in the same time. like you cant be at two different locations at the same time.

anyway, if someone knows more about this, or if im wrong please, correct me.
                      sigpic

Comment

one would think that by going back in time you would take with 'you' the particles that make 'you' up...then how do those same particles exist in the past???

to an observer it would appear that matter is created from absolutely nothing...

relating bac to the OP its a problem that SciFi writers just dont deal with because most viewers are not aware of that level of physics and even if they were dont really think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ziga1980 View Post
                          i apologize if this will be hard to understand but note that english is not my native language. a while ago i studied singularities in space. a black holes gravitational force is so great that even light cant escape its pull. there is actually light (white light) in the black hole it self, but it turns and circles the black hole. however the gravitational pull is so great that space around it becomes effected too. it becomes curved. some theories suggest that a window in our space and time is needed in order to travel in time. maybe a disfigure in our space/time can be used as a window.

although i cant say if anything can survive travel through this "window" that still leaves us with the question where we'll exit it. i belive at the same point we entered it. and if we wanted to go back in time to a specified destination we'd have to still travel to it. i dont belive we can travel in time and in space in the same time. like you cant be at two different locations at the same time.

anyway, if someone knows more about this, or if im wrong please, correct me.
                          that sounds right ive heard parts of that before and for english not being your first language you did probably better than i would have explaining it.

Comment

Originally posted by ur uncle urgo View Post
                            that sounds right ive heard parts of that before and for english not being your first language you did probably better than i would have explaining it.
                            well thanks i'm flattered. i did my best. time travel is like having an equation with a few billion unknowns and every one of them has a few billion of its own unknowns. more you think about it the less you know. if it ever happens, it'll probably happen randomly like in ep. 1969 - you see what i'm saying.
                            sigpic

Comment

The truth is, the writers are not very educated in science, but not any less than your average journalist. They read science magazines, and watch the news. If they see something that looks interesting, that can be used in the show, they'll add it in.

It's all about suspension of disbelief; if you can get past little details that would cause the story to crumble under it's own weight, then it can be an enjoyable experience. If you can't, then the story is ruined.
                              I don't think Stargate has suffered from the writers ignorance of science. In some cases, a few of the episodes were pretty unbelievable, but overall they pretty much hit their mark.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X