No announcement yet.

Sunday (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone not so invested emotionally in SGA this episode didn't have the impact that Janet's death in SG-1 and Riley's in SGU had for me. I suppose I'd have to put it down to the frankly ridiculous way Carson met his end. All I could see were people trying to keep a straight face as they talked about yet another weird Ancient weapon, exploding tumours!

Honestly, for me it ruined an otherwise entertaining episode where we shared a day with people on Atlantis actually having a day off, and showing they have a life outside of work! How else would we have ever seen Ronon's unorthodox but effective golf swing?!!! But, as always I guess something has to blow up and take out a few people to make an episode 'interesting'!

Carson was a likeable character and that gave more of an impact as far as drama goes. The scene at the end was a good one for McKay in a way, it showed that he did care for certain people. This was always nice to see.

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis...

1. Watching this ep first time round was wierd. Rewatching it is even wierder:

Spoiler:
      Particularly as we know he'll be back

2. Some cool character moments still though.

3. Including chars hanging out with peeps we didn't know.

Seeya around Carson.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

My LiveJournal post
        Was not looking forward to this one, (Carson's my fave) but kinda glad I got it over with now...
        "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
        "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I only really sat down and watched SGA starting around 3 or 4 weeks ago...and by the time I reached this episode, I'd already fallen head over heels for the Scotsman. I eagerly awaited the chance to watch each new episode and keep a keen eye out for the appearance of Dr. Carson Beckett. Little did I know...I loved 90% of the episode, how sweet and funny he was about Dr. Weir's date and all...

And then to see the explosion and just kind of know he was gone after that. I mean, when Janet died in SG-1, she died off-world working on a patient and it was feasible to believe she'd been killed by an errant staff blast and Daniel had been too shocked to jump in and save her...and drama had ensued all over the SGC befitting the situation.

Come on though. They're in the Pegasus galaxy in the Lost City of Atlantis...and an exploding tumor kills Dr. Beckett. It left me thinking WTF? There was nothing more...Ancient-y (to steal a word from Sheppard here) that could have killed him? That sounded sort of like the explosive bomb that Nirrti had planted in Cassandra back in SG-1, more Goa'Uld than Ancient...

I cried at the end of that episode, during the McKay/Beckett-spirit moment. I was pretty crushed that I wouldn't be seeing Dr. Beckett rushing to the aid of the next patient or working through the night on a cure for whatever Wraith disease McKay or Shep brought back next...or even asking McKay to come up with a different solution while sitting in the Ancient Chair at the ready. I gave in and searched for spoilers to the following seasons and cheered myself with the fact that Dr. Beckett would be back (even if it was a clone) but I can't wrap my mind around Dr. Keller as CMO yet and I'm now in Season 5 already.

I know they wouldn't kill off Beckett to add Keller. She's just...not. I don't know what she isn't but there's definitely something about her that doesn't add up to replacing Beckett with her. I don't mind her, I just can't really get comfortable with her being the CMO on Atlantis for some reason. Maybe because Beckett wouldn't have said there was nothing more he could do until the patient literally died, hence how the good Doc himself died...refusing to leave a patient even at the risk of his own life.

Comment

This episode was brilliantly made, I just love the way the story jumps back in the chronology. And with much suspense.

Cool to watch the team in "civil"
            I was never a big fan of Carson (well I liked the actor, but not the character), but I was surprised he was just written out like that... Sad ending, but a good episode.

Last edited by Cluas; 19 February 2013, 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I liked this episode. Always nice to get different look on the characters. The small bit with Ronin was particularly touching.

The first time I seen this I recall debating with people whether or not Carson was ascended or not because of that last bit with Mckay.

Comment

Just a stupid, off the wall observation! If this has already been addressed, please forgive me (sort of new here), but has or did anyone notice in Season 3's, Episode 17 entitled " Sunday " the reference to Lt. Col. John Shepherd hitting two golf balls off of Atlantis just like Alan Shepard hit two golf balls off of the moon during the Mercury Seven expedition from January 31 – February 9, 1971? Was there any correlation to this being written in the script?

Comment

Can't help since I have no clue what it is you're talking about.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

As a character episode I thought it was very good. I loved seeing everyone relaxed on a day off and getting some insight on their private lives. But what happened to Carson was the worst.
                    @Dusty_Dog... I have no idea about the golf balls. Never thought about it.
                    Last edited by Twi'lek; 21 April 2014, 12:06 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not going to read the comments above because I don't yet know if Dr. Beckett will return or not. That would be a major spoiler to know early.

I already expressed a similar opinion in this thread a few years ago. This episode is among the worst and can compare with with the joke stories from SG-1, like 'Wormhole Extreme' or '200', and what was the story with thie joker doctor who went on to rescue the SG team who were captured on purpose. Sunday sucked.

A couple things in this episode made no sense, as if they came from an illusion created by a Nanovirus or a Stamped Personality. First, why would the entire base be taken off duty all at once as opposed to personell getting leaves in order? Dr. Heightmayer needs her head examined, preferably after receiving a one-way ticket to Earth. Then of course the Explosive Tumours. That has to be the most implausible threat and method to die, ever. I don't know how Ronan Dex managed to keep a straight face.

I mean no disrespect to Carson Beckett. I quite liked this character. And because of that I believe he should not have died in a Humour Episode. There are so many better ways to do it.

1. A few weeks back we had a man develop aneurism from acoustic vibrations and prolonged headache. Much better.

2. The entire team were taken hostage by Kolya who, unlike other villains, was ready to pull the trigger and kill people. He was shown doing it. A much better way to die. Of course we know that primary characters will never be shot, and if they are, they will soon get resurrected. But making exceptions to that law would allow the show to become less predictable. They could have killed Carson then.

3. Rodney McKay his DNA altered by an ascension machine and was on the threshold of death. If they wanted to kill McKay that would have been an awesome way to do it. Carson Beckett could have died there while a) attempting to operate the machine to save McKay, or b) while preventing the joker Sheppard from entering it.

But no. It had to be Explosive Tumours. Come on. Throwing stupid jokes like that destroys the believability of the world just like leaving snickers wrappers around.

Sunday sucks. 2/10.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                        A couple things in this episode made no sense, as if they came from an illusion created by a Nanovirus or a Stamped Personality. First, why would the entire base be taken off duty all at once as opposed to personell getting leaves in order?
                        It was a day off... what's wrong with that?

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                        Dr. Heightmayer...
                        And due to it being in Jelgate's Book of Gateworld Law*

* The exact words I cannot remember but I am bound by the fourth law to talk Kate if the opportunity arises, and also when it doesn't.

It's Heightmeyer, but you probably don't care for such finer details.

Comment

That was so long ago I forget the laws. Their were a few pro/anti laws too to mock the stupidity of those threads
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Great, you misplaced your laws... ...now we'll run amock.

Comment

I watched this ep once and won't do it again...
                              To me it's one of the worst of the whole show, for obvious reasons

Comment

I still cry when I watch this episode. I miss Carson.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X