Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating an Earth Galactic Union/United Systems of Earth/etc..etc...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all righty then. But i still think that the idea of a global america is crazy.

Comment

I agree, I don't want a "global America" in the sense you mean. I don't want the rest of the world to look or be exactly like the United States. To do so would not only deny everything that is good and great about the rest of the world, it would also degrade what makes the US unique and special. I certainly would like to see other nations adopt a sovreign constitutional government similar to the US, because I believe it to be the system that allows for the greatest freedom and security of individuals of any known in all of history.

I believe that most countries would be able to adopt a similar system without damaging their cultural heritage or consciousness, that indeed it would allow them to more fully develop their culture along its natural lines, enhancing rather than destroying diversity. But not all--some countries/cultures have such diametrically opposed worldviews that it would be impossible, however I also believe, and not for wholly subjective reasons, that such societies are evil and ought to be abolished for the good of everybody, including its own members. I'm thinking here primarily of certain extremist Islamic regimes, though not exclusively.

I also think the idea that the UN has power to grant legitimacy to anything is a farce. However I am going pretty far off topic here, this isn't the appropriate forum for political arguments.

Back to Stargate--it is pretty difficult for me to see how an equitable arrangement could be made when there can be only 1 Stargate per planet, and we live on a world where a 1 world government would be (in my opionion) not only impossible but not even necessarily desirable. I can't see the rest of the world's governments tamely submitting to US-dominated control of the Stargate. I'd like to think the US would try to be as fair as possible in sharing it with other countries but it would be extremely unlikely. In fact I think the way the show has portrayed the international politicking vis-a-vis the Stargate thus far has probably even been a little too rosy in its view of all sides, including the US.

I like the name "Tau'ri Alliance Assembly" and the general idea. I think something like the UE could work, but though I hate to be cynical I think it would have some serious problems, but hey, that's one thing I like about Stargate as opposed to Star Trek. In Stargate we don't live in a perfect society, there is a lot of internal conflict, and that's interesting. Internal conflict always produces more anxiety than external conflict. That's why people get more worked up over their 'ships than they do about big honkin' space battles.

Basically, I'm idealistic enough to want a peaceful, united Earth but realistic enough to know that it won't happen for a very very long time. And frankly as a viewer I'm opposed to it on the show because it would not only be unrealistic, it would be boring.
      Sam & Jack 'Ship...

Comment

Yeah, you really don't wanna let the puppet American leaders to run the world. That'd be horrible.

Comment

did you know as powerful as the USA is it is nothing to the power of the commonwealth united under the queen which makes her the most powerful person on earth although she doesnt use this power and lets the prime ministers of these countries lead them if she wanted to she could take control and probley defeat USA because the commonwealth has like lots of differferent countries under it including Australia and Canada
          War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakebbq
            did you know as powerful as the USA is it is nothing to the power of the commonwealth united under the queen which makes her the most powerful person on earth although she doesnt use this power and lets the prime ministers of these countries lead them if she wanted to she could take control and probley defeat USA because the commonwealth has like lots of differferent countries under it including Australia and Canada
            If thinking that makes you feel big and bad, go right ahead, but if you study international politics you'd know how wrong that is.

Even if the Queen could somehow direct the militaries of the entire Commonwealth to attack the United States (which she couldn't in her dizziest daydreams) they would still be under the management of the sovereign state ("state" meaning "country") governments.

Collective action theory has demonstrated time and time again that putative balancers are always fundamentally weaker that a single, robust command structure. In other words, U.S. capabilities not only vastly out-strip the capabilities of any other nations across the board, they are under the control of one central government. The Commonwealth may be able to surpass the U.S. in quantity, but not quality. Most Commonwealth countries (excluding Canada, Britain, and, to a lesser extent, Australia) lack any substantive power projection capability, so they couldn't even get here. Heck, the NATO air war in Kosovo ran into serious problems because European members had no adequate air and sea lift capabilities, and Kosovo is practically in Europe's backyard! The improvements made since the Prague Capabilities Commitment in November 2002 and the new NATO Response Force are making great strides to mitigate these issues, without U.S. capabilities to prop them up, they couldn't even begin.

The preceeding was also assuming that the U.S. would not use its strategic nuclear weapons against the Commonwealth, which it most certainly would if there was the slightest chance of defeat. Oh, and before you tell me to fear French and British nukes...please...read a book or something...have some basis in fact for your claims.

If thinking that the Queen can stomp all over America gives you a happy, then by all means keep thinking that...I just wouldn't mention it to anyone who's had an education or they might burst your bubble.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
              Have you done any kind of historical research on the effects of expansionism and imperialism? Particularly in the 18th and 19th centuries? Because if you have then I'm sure you would have come across all the bad things that occur because of it. Such as illness and death and destroying native cultures and slavery.
              The same could be said of abandoning the principal as well. When France bailed out of Algeria, millions died. When Britain pulled out of it's African colonies, nothing but brutal communist dictatorships rose. Imperialism shouldn't have ever happened, but countries shouldn't just bail out of it.
              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

did you know that australia has some of the largest uranium reserves in the world so we could build in mass nuclear weapons although the likely chance in we wouldnt resort to nuclear war as that would make earth un inhabitable

Comment

did you know that australia has some of the largest uranium reserves in the world so we could build in mass nuclear weapons although the likely chance in we wouldnt resort to nuclear war as that would make earth un inhabitable
                  Yes but Austrailia does not have weapons capability nor the delivery systems required to launch a nuclear attack. Austrailia would have to significantly increase it's defense budget to make a viable nuclear program.

Comment

Please... Americas military spendings are larger than the 9 next biggest military budgets in the world, COMBINED. Atleast according to some magazine I read. Think it was TIME.
                    Of course not all of that goes into weapons, but the US is the only power actually equipped to fight an offensive war.

But on topic. Were the Stargate to be made public, and avalible for use for colonists etc. This is how I would like to see it. This is assuming the Ori will be defeated and there will be no MAYOR badasses out to get us out there.

The gate should be open to the public, and funded by the international community with a dedicated taskforce to neutralize any military threat coming through the gate. The gate is located inside an bunker, and all incoming cargo or people are screened before the blastdoors are opened.
                    However once through the "Gateport" is an normal public place. The gate is dedicated mostly for civilian use, with the govs and military having to book time just like anyone else. Certain popular desinations are being served on a regular schedule. Maybe every day at 17.30 the Gate is open for 25 minutes to Chulak, just as an example. Between every outgoing wormhole there is atleast an 40 minute break, for enscheduled incoming wormholes.
                    Any group over 50, or with the backing of a goverement, are able to book a Gatetime.
                    Earth's Gateport would serve as an hub for humans all over the galaxy, as people move between colonies. Exotic items can be bought from every planet within the gate network. Scientific expeditions are daily coming and going. Settlers in the thousends stream out in the galaxy to form independent worlds. There can be a christian planet, a muslim planet, a nazi planet and a frelling Disney Planet. With total freedom bad goverements, as well as good and non-existant ones flourish. There is no unity in the galaxy, but a patchwork of competing systems, each vying for dominance. Well, as I see it it's either that or an totalitarian Terran Empire.

The one who control the Stargate would control the planet in question. Either we would have to leave it up to the individual colonies, which would mean a lot of meanies getting a lot of power, or assert total control of the gatesystem from earth, perhaps the better system in the end. But a wise man once said "Those who sacrifice a little freedom for security deserves neither and will lose both.". Of course there will be conflict, that is the way of man. You can either chose to crush this strife from the beginning, which probably could be upheld for hundreds of years, but in the end the colonies would demand independence, and could a gov really hold the gates then? Remember, all the rebels would have to do was win ONE battle and sever their ties to the Empire. Even with ships avalible it would be hard to maintain this Empire.

EDIT: Oh, and these are just my ramblings from the top of my head. If you find inconsitancies, don't be too surprised.
                    "You have been impregnated, without copulation?"
                    "Yes! And I am absolutly terrified! Have any of you ever heard of anything like it?"
                    "Well, there's one..."
                    "Darth Vader!"
                    "Really!? How did that turn out?"

Comment

hey im not say australia would win im just saying we have lots of uranium that we wouldnt share and that the world would do everything in its power to stop a nuclear war because then we would all die a horrible horrible death un less you build underground bunckers and live their for the next few million years

Comment

hey im not say australia would win im just saying we have lots of uranium that we wouldnt share and that the world would do everything in its power to stop a nuclear war because then we would all die a horrible horrible death un less you build underground bunckers and live their for the next few million years
                        Just having enough uranium isn't the question. Anyone messing with the US would pretty much get their asses whupped, in any scenario. Maybe a union of every other nation of the earth, but hardly anything else.
                        Oh, and I am not american, so I'm not speaking out of patriotism or something silly like that.
                        "You have been impregnated, without copulation?"
                        "Yes! And I am absolutly terrified! Have any of you ever heard of anything like it?"
                        "Well, there's one..."
                        "Darth Vader!"
                        "Really!? How did that turn out?"

Comment

as i said and i quote "the world would do everything in its power to stop a nuclear war because then we would all die a horrible horrible death un less you build underground bunckers and live their for the next few million years"

Comment

Originally posted by Setesh
                            Just having enough uranium isn't the question. Anyone messing with the US would pretty much get their asses whupped, in any scenario. Maybe a union of every other nation of the earth, but hardly anything else.
                            Oh, and I am not american, so I'm not speaking out of patriotism or something silly like that.
                            LOL, no, you're speaking out of being educated and pragmatic...I respect that. I am American, but I'm not speaking out of some "pull the wool over my eyes, Bush is the greatest " perverted sense of patriotism either. I've been studying International Affairs for almost six years (in undergraduate and now graduade school) so that's what I base my conclusion on.

If Australia tried to attack the U.S. (despite how much uranium they have ), I doubt we would even respond. We'd just sit back and watch them flounder, wondering if we should even bother. Hell, we'd probably help them rebuild their economy after they destroyed it trying to build enough weapons to match us.

Bt the way, I'm ethnically Finno-Swedish. Scandinavia kicks ass!

Comment

you know what is funny the us spent millions to develop a scope that could see around corners the australians put a mirror on the end of thier rifles.
                              the us spent millions developing a pen that would work in space the russians use a pencil

Comment

you know what is funny the us spent millions to develop a scope that could see around corners the australians put a mirror on the end of thier rifles.
                                the us spent millions developing a pen that would work in space the russians use a pencil
                                Yes, and look whose military capabilities outpace the rest of the world by several orders of magnitude, and look who dominates space flight technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X