X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timeline

Spoiler:
    Was the disease the bubonic plague? If so, was the 3,000 years ago reference a possible indication of the timeline?

The earliest accounts of possible plauge outbreaks are recorded in the Old Testament, 1 Samuel 5:6... or about the 11th century BC. This would put the BSG timeline around our current earth time, i.e. the 21st century AD.
    Last edited by 425Defense; 10 November 2006, 08:44 PM.

Now, that is an interesting theory. I do believe that BSG is supposed to be set in present day, so this idea makes a lot of sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 425Defense View Post
      Spoiler:
      Was the disease the bubonic plague? If so, was the 3,000 years ago reference a possible indication of the timeline?

The earliest accounts of possible plauge outbreaks are recorded in the Old Testament, 1 Samuel 5:6... or about the 11th century BC. This would put the BSG timeline around our current earth time, i.e. the 21st century AD.
      I don't think it's the Bubonic plague; the symtomies don't seem to match with what the plague had, but it could be a very similar and earlier disease.

Also what I think about the timeline is that Earth's (our) civilization would have to be 6,000 years old or older so it couldn't match when the thirteenth tribe left Kobol. There must have been people that left Earth sometime between 5,000 - 4,000 years ago, perhaps taken by whatever the "Lords of Kobol" were. That explains the ancient UFO encounters from around the world. The thirteenth tribe left Kobol around 3,000 years ago and arrived around the area of Greece and/or Rome, creating western civilization.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
        I don't think it's the Bubonic plague; the symtomies don't seem to match with what the plague had, but it could be a very similar and earlier disease.

Also what I think about the timeline is that Earth's (our) civilization would have to be 6,000 years old or older so it couldn't match when the thirteenth tribe left Kobol. There must have been people that left Earth sometime between 5,000 - 4,000 years ago, perhaps taken by whatever the "Lords of Kobol" were. That explains the ancient UFO encounters from around the world. The thirteenth tribe left Kobol around 3,000 years ago and arrived around the area of Greece and/or Rome, creating western civilization.
        Spoiler:

interesting theory...
        we finally have some sort of timeline about 13th tribe and there are few possibilities (at least IMO).
        1) as you say "Lords Of Kobol" grabbed some people from Earth and brought them to Kobol for some reason...
        2) "everything happened before" theory.. which would mean that maybe this isn't first time people left Kobol (even 13th tribe) and by using beacons they were directed to Earth each time - this one is a stretch
        3) we might see Galactica come into our history where human race on Earth is still primitive and needs protection against Cylons...

if 13th tribe left Kobol 3000 years ago in a fleet, they were technologically advanced and i just don't see them landing here and forgetting all their knowladge ... also if they came to ancient Greece, they would find HUMANS living here ... now, that brings up question from where did humans on Earth come and what did happen to their ships and technology?

i am really looking forward to see how will writers deal with this
        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Ohh rading all this is sooo, interesting!!
          I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Wasn't it stated in ep 7 (the latest) what the disease was?

Comment

It was my original thought that when they get to earth, it will be our present day and we'll be blown away. Galactica and the Cylons thinking the planet is empty is to me an obvious misconception on their part.

Originally posted by silence View Post
              Spoiler:

if 13th tribe left Kobol 3000 years ago in a fleet, they were technologically advanced and i just don't see them landing here and forgetting all their knowladge ... also if they came to ancient Greece, they would find HUMANS living here ... now, that brings up question from where did humans on Earth come and what did happen to their ships and technology?

Well, when Galactica charged in on New Caprica, they lost a Battlestar and came very very close to crashing Galactica (which btw was soo cool to watch). Their ships could have been destroyed in the process. A

What if this story actually is the story of how humans got to Earth. That's the other thing, when this show ends, it could begin at the year 5,000 B.C. where the missing link happens. I'm rambling.

"I got my eye on you sucka."

Comment

Originally posted by STLbullet View Post
                Well, when Galactica charged in on New Caprica, they lost a Battlestar and came very very close to crashing Galactica (which btw was soo cool to watch). Their ships could have been destroyed in the process. A

What if this story actually is the story of how humans got to Earth. That's the other thing, when this show ends, it could begin at the year 5,000 B.C. where the missing link happens. I'm rambling.
                1) They lost Peggy cause it RAMMED enemy ships. You did notice all those civilian ships that landed on NC in the end of season 2 that were taking off?
                2) "Missing link" in 5000 BC? You are joking? Right? Homo Sapiens (we) lived during last Ice Age (some 20000 BC or more). 5000 BC there were already first signs of civilisation around the world... do you even know what "missing link" is?
                VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

The "missing link" is an out of date term now, because it was found some years ago, also know as homo-erectus.

Also the plague did not progress that quickly, plus humans do not have a natural imunity to it. You can still die from it today and it does still happen just very rarely and is treatable with anti biotics.

I know for a fact that RDM has said they won't ever find earth till the show ends. It's going to be similar to The Fugitive or Quantum Leap. They are trying to get home but never end up doing it till its over.

Personally I would like to see an extremly advanced Earth at the end save the Galactica and the fleet. I would imagine eventually we'll see the rift that Helo was claiming was possible in the cylons. Perhaps half will be bent on killing us and the other half won't anymore. Terrans will kill the bad half in the end saving the day and whipping some ass!

Comment

I thought Doc Cottle said that the disease was some sort of encephalitis, which is an inflamation of the brain caused by a virus. I'm sure they said the disease was viral in nature, which would rule out the bubonic plague as that is a I believe a bacterial infection.

Comment

I really think they'll follow a little more closely to the 1970's series. It will be present day-ish when they arrive on Earth. Think about how cool that would be! Earth 2012 (last season of BSG) meets a group of humans and cylons who travelled millions of light years to find them. There would be the group of Earthlings calling it a hoax and another group ready to blow them all up (humans and cylons alike) out of fear. It would make a very interesting final season. Now, BSG arrives in 5000 B.C., not so interesting...

Comment

I just rewatched KLG 1 & 2, the priestess said that the exodus from Kobol happened around 2000 years ago.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I was just watching something interesting the other day...

Ya know how we're all told that in the original testament Moses led his people across the desert for forty years in seach of their promiseland?

Well history channel aired a Digging for the Truth on that subject... and the thing is...

A lot of these archeologist were having some huge debate over whether or not David existed, Solomon existed, and whether or not Moses existed... and all of these archeologists are having trouble coming up with direct proof that cannot be refuted by the other... And some on one side are saying that they really have no idea where the Isrealites come from, while others are saying they actually come from the Cananites, while other still say Egypt is still the correct answer...

So I was kinda thinking something (with no disrespect to those of the Jewish faith or ancestry)

What if RDM twists it to be where that Exodus mentioned in the bible is actually the thirteenth tribes journey to Earth? (Remember, Elosha in the mini series said one god wanted to be favored above all the others) It could make sense, especially if you consider that stories were past down orally for many generations before written down... and your average joe from 1000 bc is more likely to understand we took a walk through the desert rather than we flew some space ships to get here...

I also wonder if it is equally possible that the tribes of Kobol had contact with Earth before the Exodus... maybe they used Earth as a prison colony orginally, and the prisoners mixed in with the local evolving population... if this were true, that might explain how the map got back to Kobol...

Comment

wow... nice new angle... but if that's what happened, Galactica is way in our past... just check what year is now for jews....
                            i would like that Galactica shows up somewhere in our past... and that might produce interesting new show.. all those consipracy theories coming to one point -> Galactica survivors defending Earth and it's people against Cylons until we are ready to take the fight ourselves....

(no disrespect for anyone, this is about TV show)
                            VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Hmmm....yeah maybe.

I've just had a thought for an ending if anyone's interested...

Spoiler:
                              This is just one of many theories bouncing around the place since I got loads more, but maybe RDM's gonna say that the Cylons actually win and get to Earth and then it zooms to our present day and so of us are Cylons and we dont know it!!!!!.....ah well, just another silly theory.
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                              X