• Show
Clear All

'Lost' losing audience

From North Jersey:

'Lost' losing audience

Click on the link to rerad the entire article

By VIRGINIA ROHAN
    Sunday, October 22, 2006

Who are the Others? Where are Michael and Walt? And what about crazy Rousseau?

And now, the really big riddle: Why has "Lost" lost a fifth of its audience since last season?

That question has been generating lots of buzz lately. Not only is average viewership for "Lost" down more than 20 percent since last season, but this past week, CBS' "Criminal Minds" beat "Lost" in total viewers. While the ABC drama is still in first place among 18- to 49-year-olds -- it still reels in a little over 16 million viewers -- it has shed 5 million viewers from a year ago (nearly 3 million since the third-season premiere on Oct. 4).

But even as television critics, avid "Lost" fans and disillusioned dropouts debate that baffling offscreen mystery -- a very good subject for another day -- "Lost" arguably remains the most influential television drama in many a moon. And this is not so surprising, actually. Throughout TV history, many groundbreaking dramas, including "Hill Street Blues" and "Twin Peaks," have had a far bigger impact on the medium than their ratings would suggest.

Almost everywhere you zap nowadays, you'll find a show, new or old, that in one or more ways owes a debt to "Lost."
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Why is Lost losing viewers? That's easy- it's becoming too obscure and elaborate with less and less payoff.

Or that's why they lost me, anyway. And my mum, and my best friend, and my sister...

Comment

I still watch it, but I personnally know a couple of person who lost interest in lost, because they find it too frustrating.

they're too impatient to get all the answers, and find the pace too slow.
      and one is tired of all the flashback & of the scenes about romances between the losties. (like watching a soap opera instead of a thriller / sci-fi show).

So i'm not surprised by this news.

Comment

A friend told me that even the producers think it's being drawn out too much. He said on a commentary (or something like that) they said something along the lines of "haha, for the answer to that, tune in for season 27!"

Nearly everyone i know (bar that guy and another) have given up. I'd prefer it if it didn't have the week long gap but that's TV for you. For the record, i'm not willing to pay for DVDs either so i just power through and watch on TV anyway...

I said way back at the beginning it should go for 3, 4 seasons max. It's never going to happen...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Several reasons

1) The people that watch Lost are getting just that...Lost.
            2) They keep killing off good characters, Boone didn't need to die, and neither did Libby or Ana.
            3) As I've said before, I can only see a show going like this for two, three seasons. It's getting ridiculous now.
            4) slowing of the plot. The plot is starting to get more slow. It used to be about the Survivors, then it was about the Dharma, and now it's about the Others.
            5) So many breaks between episodes. My gosh, hell, start the season late if you have to.
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Amen to the slowness. I stopped watching last season when I realized they were going over and over and OVER the same frakkin period of time. No advancement of the days and no advancement of the plot.

The show has "lost" its focus and so much crap has been piled on top of it that all but the die hardiest of fans get lost in the generated confusion. Now I get the feeling the producers are just throwing stuff in at random to see how much crap people can take.

Well, I think they've reached their breaking point... and it's showing in the numbers (and I ain't talking about The Numbers, either).

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                Now I get the feeling the producers are just throwing stuff in at random to see how much crap people can take.
                I was never diehard, but I can say that my perception is that the producers have become too full of themselves so they don't question if an idea they have fallen in love with is really good storytelling. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I was turned off by an interview about six months ago where I felt like the producer was snubbing his nose at the audience saying that he wasn't worrying about making them happy... which is the ultimate problem in a television producer.

Sorry I can't post a link or text, this is a show that I fell out of love with so long ago that it's been too long to remember where it was.

Comment

He sounds like a Stargate producer.

Y'know, I can understand the whole not wanting to kowtow to fan demands thing, but how 'bout having a bit of personal integrity, eh? Stay true to THE SHOW, even if the fans occasionally get snubbed. But don't wallow in your own megalomaniacal glory and piss all over the fans AND the show just because you think you're God's gift to television. THAT'S what I don't like. Don't destroy a good thing.

Lost had a lot of potential, but like so many other shows, egos got in the way and ruined it. For me, at least.

Comment

It's gotten boring! Besides, there are a few new shows are that are really great, so sorry Lost, but you Lost me.
                    On fighting:
                    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

It's too disjointed a series. The writers created more and more mystery without knowing where it was going. People lost interest. I lost interest as well. I was hooked during season one. I gave up during season two and haven't gone back. Now it's going to be off the air for two months so this Taye Diggs series can get a chance. Can you say, "Kiss of death?"

Bye bye Lost.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                        2) They keep killing off good characters, Boone didn't need to die, and neither did Libby or Ana.
                        Boone was awesome, I agree. I'm just glad you didn't say Sharon didn't have to die.
                        sigpic
                        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Lost kinda reminds me of the opposite of the 4400 as far as the episodes go. In season 1 they didn't have a long sotry so they stuck with 6 or so episodes and expanded into a full season for season 2.

For Lost Season 1 was worth the full season but season 2, when you look at stuff that actually happened, it could have been condensed down into a mini-series. Assuming you don't mind 10 out of 15 hours of the show being about the survivors sitting around doing nothing much.

I'll see if Season 3 improves, if not i'm gonna drop it as a waste of time.

Comment

Why has "Lost" lost a fifth of its audience since last season?
                            I gave up on Lost ten minutes into the pilot. But I never imagined that it was the type of show that could continue for very long. The set up of it surely means that TPTB have to go to increasingly desperate lengths to provide the next big plot twist as their viewers expect more and more shocks. Which can only be sustained for so long. So I always saw it as a short term show anyway.

Albion
                            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

On the DVD's they should add one disc with a "Director's cut" version. And by "cut" I mean "cut" not "add"!
                              I guess with a good editing, we can come up with a single DVD of 3 hours maximum, summarizing the whole season.
                              If they don't do it, I'll do it myself!

Comment

Working...
                              X