Why do aliens look and act like humans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do aliens look and act like humans?

The real reason is probably cause they wanted the watchers to relate to the aliens. Species 8472 is probably the most unhuman, but it seems like a lot of the races are just humans with dots on there heads.

It doesnt bother me to much, I still love Star Trek to death, just thought if anybody else though it was wierd that Bajorans will kiss the same way humans do.

Klingons certainly don't look or act like humans. Romulan's don't look human, they do act like certain humans though.

I assume though that your talking more about guest races or aliens of the week.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I think its because the point is the conflict between the cultures or the morality stuff. As its hard to relate when you have your human captain having a heated arguement with a lump of playdo.

Also there was that whole science study that reckons that aliens would have bodies similar to ours due to the evolutionary advantages.

Comment

I think Sev Trek answered this question best:

O'Brien: Why do all the aliens look like humans, but with facial bumps?
        Sisko: So the teenagers at home have someone to identify with.

(This was originally posted in English on the Sev Trek site, but they no longer allow free access to comics older then 3 months old, and the only copy I was able to find is in German.)
        sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Originally posted by Neorapsta View Post
          I think its because the point is the conflict between the cultures or the morality stuff. As its hard to relate when you have your human captain having a heated arguement with a lump of playdo.
          LMAO.....that I'd love to see.....

Nice comic Cat_the_Alien!

Comment

because its television.

Comment

Originally posted by Jathel_kyt View Post
              It doesnt bother me to much, I still love Star Trek to death, just thought if anybody else though it was wierd that Bajorans will kiss the same way humans do.
              I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not all aliens have their body parts in the same place as ours. Kirk assumed he had booted that alien in the kneecaps when they were fighting...

When we actually make first contact with aliens, I'd hold off on the welcome kiss; just to be sure that we ARE putting our lips where their mouths are.

lol Of course Morbo. I forget sometimes.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Have you seen the episode "The Chase" of season 6?
                They explain why many species look like humans.

just in case you haven't seen it I hide this;
                Spoiler:

we find out that an ancient race "seeded" themselves throughout the galaxy. So life evolved on different planets on the basis of this race's genes, but on each planet, with local differences. So all the humanoid races we see have in fact the same ancestor.

Comment

There is a great and powerful force in the star trek universe known only the, 'The Budget'. It shapes the universe so to keep the costs down for the it's all knowing master 'Paramount'.
                  http://panzor.deviantart.com/ - deviantART: panzor

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                    Have you seen the episode "The Chase" of season 6?
                    They explain why many species look like humans.

just in case you haven't seen it I hide this;
                    Spoiler:

we find out that an ancient race "seeded" themselves throughout the galaxy. So life evolved on different planets on the basis of this race's genes, but on each planet, with local differences. So all the humanoid races we see have in fact the same ancestor.
                    indeed, and its the same lady that played the head boss founder lady of the dominion. almost looks like a changling too in The Chase.
                    something to think about.

Comment

Well Changelings have been masters of genetics for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Neorapsta View Post

Also there was that whole science study that reckons that aliens would have bodies similar to ours due to the evolutionary advantages.
                        The sheliak (sp) there is your lump of playdo that Captain Picard argued with.
                        Spoiler:
                        although the Sheliak kept cutting the transmission untill he learned their laws
                        sigpic

Comment

It minght have something to do with the fact that they are human, wearing makeup, I loved species 8472 from VOY, I loved the Guys in the encounter suits in B5 also, and the shadows who looked like insects and not at all humanoid, some shows have great ideas but the budget incures on the show and well, we all have to use our magination at the end don't we?
                          Last edited by Darkstar; 27 October 2006, 02:49 AM. Reason: TYPO
                          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

The main practical reason is very simple - money. NO TV production can possibly hope to afford elaborate make-up and costumes for guest characters and alien species week after week - let alone have the time to create such designs and impliment them on the schedule. That is why, especially in the TNG/DS9 era, a forehead or nose marking was the most commonly used alien device because it was cheap and simple but distinguished the character enough.

The original series movies probably did the most to try and make aliens look alien. The risk there is that they usually used masks which looked cheap, fake and created the most unrealistic and tacky aliens possible. Although TNG/DS9/VOY aliens look human at least they're realistic and easier to relate to as characters - plus you have the money for the occassional CGI delight or more remarkable looking alien such as Species 8472
                            //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                            Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

I guess the problem also is, on a practical creative level, it's difficult to come up with a different looking alien for every single episode. Especially for ST - Stargate generally have a lot less aliens. Stargate can afford to make each one a little more unique (though I do think making the Ancients 'human', while an interesting plot twist, was a leeeettle bit of a cop-out).

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Working...
                              X