This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

I've been wondering for a while now - Why did Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson) Leave SG1 during season 6, only for it to be decided early on in the season that he would return for season 7?

It was a decision that he made, some contract thingy, however his people that worked with him told him to come back, so he did!
    __

__

Comment

Originally posted by VBach37
      I've been wondering for a while now - Why did Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson) Leave SG1 during season 6, only for it to be decided early on in the season that he would return for season 7?
      Michael Shanks didn't like how his character was being utilised in Season 5, so he asked to leave the show as he takes acting very seriously. The producers respected his request and allowed his contract to end. However, while Mr. Shanks wanted out as a regular, he did agree to guest star if the script was interresting enough and to do the movie should one be made. After his third guest appearance in Season 6 "Full Circle", they had developed a very nify "ascended Daniel" story arc. So, when they asked him to return for Season 7, the actor agreed due to fresh and challenging stories for his character. So, there was no bad blood and it wasn't about money, it all boiled down to the actor not wanting to be there, just to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson

Michael Shanks didn't like how his character was being utilised in Season 5, so he asked to leave the show as he takes acting very seriously. The producers respected his request and allowed his contract to end. However, while Mr. Shanks wanted out as a regular, he did agree to guest star if the script was interresting enough and to do the movie should one be made. After his third guest appearance in Season 6 "Full Circle", they had developed a very nify "ascended Daniel" story arc. So, when they asked him to return for Season 7, the actor agreed due to fresh and challenging stories for his character. So, there was no bad blood and it wasn't about money, it all boiled down to the actor not wanting to be there, just to be there.

I think that's the reason, as his 'guest appearances' were more worthy and better than his normal character than normal, so I'm glad he did return.
        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
          his 'guest appearances' were more worthy and better than his normal character than normal
          I'll say. Abyss and Changeling were awesome, and together with Full Circle they managed to provide an entire year's worth of character development into three eps.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            I'll say. Abyss and Changeling were awesome, and together with Full Circle they managed to provide an entire year's worth of character development into three eps.

I think you're right, three episodes really changed the entire character if Daniel as a whole, I couldn't believe how good Abyss and Full Circle was. I think Changeling was awesome too, how he helped Teal'c escape and make the correct choice, that's the Daniel who we originally had, they developed him into someone else. Season six changed his character good, and as you said, in only three episodes.
            __

__

Comment

he probably came back after seeing how popular the show became and wanted to get back in on that

i mean, probably anyone would do the same thing.

he's awesome when he's there, and awesome when he's gone... though, i would have loved to see Jonas stay... i didn't really like him when he came back, and it's all good now lol...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                he probably came back after seeing how popular the show became and wanted to get back in on that

I doubt that anyone would want to come back for the fame, the show started becoming really good in season six, and I'm guessing he liked his character developments, so he returned.
                __

__

Comment

I doubt that anyone would want to come back for the fame, the show started becoming really good in season six, and I'm guessing he liked his character developments, so he returned.
                  i added more onto the message before (or during the same time that) you replied.

that's what i meant...

funny?

i guess not...

Comment

he's awesome when he's there, and awesome when he's gone... though, i would have loved to see Jonas stay... i didn't really like him when he came back, and it's all good now lol...

I think if Daniel didn't leave and then return, there wouldn't be a lot of the storylines that we have now and are going to see in the future. It would have been interesting to see what a seventh season was like again without Daniel, but only one could guess.
                    __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      I'll say again. Daniel got more character development in Abyss, Changeling and Full Circle than Jonas did all season long. The fact that MS left for a season handed his character a pretty meaty story arc and in retrospect worked out very well. I wish they'd spent some time on the fallout of the ascension thing but sounds like that may still happen later in season 8.

As to MS returning sounds like things changed for him and for the direction they wanted to take the show in season 7. I don't think we're ever going to know the whole story on what was going on behind-the-scenes with the whole MS leaving and coming back thing. They all seem to be pretty happy now.

I read a report from the Stargate panel at Comic Con and MS answered the question of why he left (in the presence of BW and RCC and Hank Cohen):
                      "Because I hate Rob Cooper." After the laughter died down he followed with the more serious response of, "I needed to take a break from the show. I had a really good year off and then we decided to work together again, it was as simple as that. Nobody expected the show to go on so long and we had options in season 7 and now season 8, and who knows after that."

Full Comic Con report (it covered both SG-1 and SG-Atlantis panels) at:
                      http://www.cityofangel.com/behindThe.../sdcc04_2.html

(credit to sg1_spoilme where I first saw the link posted)
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I think if Daniel didn't leave and then return, there wouldn't be a lot of the storylines that we have now and are going to see in the future. It would have been interesting to see what a seventh season was like again without Daniel, but only one could guess.
                        i would love it if Jonas had stayed, but how the storylines are right now in Season 8 (season 7 was... okay. i kind of forget season 7. 'twas so long ago) i love it! i miss Jonas, but the show works... with or without him. but i would be nice to see him again...

Comment

i would love it if Jonas had stayed, but how the storylines are right now in Season 8 (season 7 was... okay. i kind of forget season 7. 'twas so long ago) i love it! i miss Jonas, but the show works... with or without him. but i would be nice to see him again...

I think it was budget as well as time and writing. I don't think episodes in season seven would have actually worked with Jonas, in the way that they had written them, however if he stayed I'm sure they'd find a way .. if they wanted to.
                          __

__

Comment

So...what about Corin Nemec? Must've kinda sucked for the guy to get hired on as a starring character only to leave at the end of the season.

Was there some bad blood there or what?
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                              So...what about Corin Nemec? Must've kinda sucked for the guy to get hired on as a starring character only to leave at the end of the season.

Was there some bad blood there or what?

Do you mean towards/between Daniel and Jonas?
                              __

__

Comment

Working...
                              X