Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    56

    Default Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    I've been wondering for a while now - Why did Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson) Leave SG1 during season 6, only for it to be decided early on in the season that he would return for season 7?

  2. #2
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    It was a decision that he made, some contract thingy, however his people that worked with him told him to come back, so he did!

  3. #3
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by VBach37
    I've been wondering for a while now - Why did Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson) Leave SG1 during season 6, only for it to be decided early on in the season that he would return for season 7?
    Michael Shanks didn't like how his character was being utilised in Season 5, so he asked to leave the show as he takes acting very seriously. The producers respected his request and allowed his contract to end. However, while Mr. Shanks wanted out as a regular, he did agree to guest star if the script was interresting enough and to do the movie should one be made. After his third guest appearance in Season 6 "Full Circle", they had developed a very nify "ascended Daniel" story arc. So, when they asked him to return for Season 7, the actor agreed due to fresh and challenging stories for his character. So, there was no bad blood and it wasn't about money, it all boiled down to the actor not wanting to be there, just to be there.

  4. #4
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson

    Michael Shanks didn't like how his character was being utilised in Season 5, so he asked to leave the show as he takes acting very seriously. The producers respected his request and allowed his contract to end. However, while Mr. Shanks wanted out as a regular, he did agree to guest star if the script was interresting enough and to do the movie should one be made. After his third guest appearance in Season 6 "Full Circle", they had developed a very nify "ascended Daniel" story arc. So, when they asked him to return for Season 7, the actor agreed due to fresh and challenging stories for his character. So, there was no bad blood and it wasn't about money, it all boiled down to the actor not wanting to be there, just to be there.


    I think that's the reason, as his 'guest appearances' were more worthy and better than his normal character than normal, so I'm glad he did return.

  5. #5
    Brigadier General Madeleine's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    8,565

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    his 'guest appearances' were more worthy and better than his normal character than normal
    I'll say. Abyss and Changeling were awesome, and together with Full Circle they managed to provide an entire year's worth of character development into three eps.

    Madeleine

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
    I'll say. Abyss and Changeling were awesome, and together with Full Circle they managed to provide an entire year's worth of character development into three eps.


    I think you're right, three episodes really changed the entire character if Daniel as a whole, I couldn't believe how good Abyss and Full Circle was. I think Changeling was awesome too, how he helped Teal'c escape and make the correct choice, that's the Daniel who we originally had, they developed him into someone else. Season six changed his character good, and as you said, in only three episodes.

  7. #7
    Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."
    Posts
    4,299

    Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    he probably came back after seeing how popular the show became and wanted to get back in on that

    i mean, probably anyone would do the same thing.

    he's awesome when he's there, and awesome when he's gone... though, i would have loved to see Jonas stay... i didn't really like him when he came back, and it's all good now lol...

  8. #8
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty
    he probably came back after seeing how popular the show became and wanted to get back in on that


    I doubt that anyone would want to come back for the fame, the show started becoming really good in season six, and I'm guessing he liked his character developments, so he returned.

  9. #9
    Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."
    Posts
    4,299

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I doubt that anyone would want to come back for the fame, the show started becoming really good in season six, and I'm guessing he liked his character developments, so he returned.
    i added more onto the message before (or during the same time that) you replied.

    that's what i meant...

    funny?

    i guess not...

  10. #10
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty
    he's awesome when he's there, and awesome when he's gone... though, i would have loved to see Jonas stay... i didn't really like him when he came back, and it's all good now lol...


    I think if Daniel didn't leave and then return, there wouldn't be a lot of the storylines that we have now and are going to see in the future. It would have been interesting to see what a seventh season was like again without Daniel, but only one could guess.

  11. #11
    Major keshou's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
    I'll say. Abyss and Changeling were awesome, and together with Full Circle they managed to provide an entire year's worth of character development into three eps.
    I'll say again. Daniel got more character development in Abyss, Changeling and Full Circle than Jonas did all season long. The fact that MS left for a season handed his character a pretty meaty story arc and in retrospect worked out very well. I wish they'd spent some time on the fallout of the ascension thing but sounds like that may still happen later in season 8.

    As to MS returning sounds like things changed for him and for the direction they wanted to take the show in season 7. I don't think we're ever going to know the whole story on what was going on behind-the-scenes with the whole MS leaving and coming back thing. They all seem to be pretty happy now.

    I read a report from the Stargate panel at Comic Con and MS answered the question of why he left (in the presence of BW and RCC and Hank Cohen):
    "Because I hate Rob Cooper." After the laughter died down he followed with the more serious response of, "I needed to take a break from the show. I had a really good year off and then we decided to work together again, it was as simple as that. Nobody expected the show to go on so long and we had options in season 7 and now season 8, and who knows after that."

    Full Comic Con report (it covered both SG-1 and SG-Atlantis panels) at:
    http://www.cityofangel.com/behindThe.../sdcc04_2.html

    (credit to sg1_spoilme where I first saw the link posted)
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

  12. #12
    Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."
    Posts
    4,299

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I think if Daniel didn't leave and then return, there wouldn't be a lot of the storylines that we have now and are going to see in the future. It would have been interesting to see what a seventh season was like again without Daniel, but only one could guess.
    i would love it if Jonas had stayed, but how the storylines are right now in Season 8 (season 7 was... okay. i kind of forget season 7. 'twas so long ago) i love it! i miss Jonas, but the show works... with or without him. but i would be nice to see him again...

  13. #13
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty
    i would love it if Jonas had stayed, but how the storylines are right now in Season 8 (season 7 was... okay. i kind of forget season 7. 'twas so long ago) i love it! i miss Jonas, but the show works... with or without him. but i would be nice to see him again...


    I think it was budget as well as time and writing. I don't think episodes in season seven would have actually worked with Jonas, in the way that they had written them, however if he stayed I'm sure they'd find a way .. if they wanted to.

  14. #14
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    15,352

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    So...what about Corin Nemec? Must've kinda sucked for the guy to get hired on as a starring character only to leave at the end of the season.

    Was there some bad blood there or what?

  15. #15
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid
    So...what about Corin Nemec? Must've kinda sucked for the guy to get hired on as a starring character only to leave at the end of the season.

    Was there some bad blood there or what?


    Do you mean towards/between Daniel and Jonas?

  16. #16
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    15,352

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    No, I mean between Corin Nemec and everyone else involved in the show.

    I've only seen till the end of season six....I know Jonas pops up again somewhere but I don't know in what respect and don't WANT to know till the season 7 DVD set comes out in October.

  17. #17
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,418

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    I see! I'm sure you'll have a seperate opinion like everyon else does as it is interesting to see how the situation is dealt with.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    in an interview at the time in english mag SFX mr shanks made it very apparent that he was all but musculed out by RDA due to jelously over his popularity

  19. #19
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid
    So...what about Corin Nemec? Must've kinda sucked for the guy to get hired on as a starring character only to leave at the end of the season.

    Was there some bad blood there or what?
    I thought the actor only signed on for a season? Don't they usually do that when they bring in a new character, then have them sign a longer contract when they sign on for a 2nd season?

  20. #20
    Brigadier General Madeleine's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    8,565

    Default Re: Why did Daniel Jackson leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by timeslip
    in an interview at the time in english mag SFX mr shanks made it very apparent that he was all but musculed out by RDA due to jelously over his popularity
    Are you sure? That version of Why He Left is one I've never heard before from any official source or interview, only from the odd nutty conspiracy theorist. MS and RDA have nothing but the highest praise for each other - and that seems genuine, to me.

    Given the furore that was raised by some fans when MS said in an interview done during early s6 how great AT and CJ were - 'Why has he left out RDA? It's a dig at RDA! How dare he!' I'm pretty sure that if MS had accused RDA of pushing him out there would have been a noise so big it would have carried on reverberating for, like, *ever*

    Madeleine

Similar Threads

  1. Window of Opportunity (406)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Four
    Replies: 840
    Last Post: April 17th, 2014, 08:14 AM
  2. Recogniton for Daniel
    By SG1Team4ever in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: April 18th, 2005, 03:38 AM
  3. Who'd Win Teal'c or Daniel Jackson?
    By Metonic in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: November 17th, 2004, 07:15 PM
  4. The Daniel Jackson
    By karluk in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM
  5. Recognition for Daniel Jackson
    By The_Dragon_Sorceress in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •