This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shape of a cityship's shield

A while back, there's been a debate about if Atlantis' shield covered both parts or not.
    Evidence showed that it was only half a bubble, just covering the superior half of the city.

Recently, we saw that a cityship is propelled upwards in any condition, with the half bubble acting as a shield.
    The shield, is, by the way, always visible when activated.

However, it didn't make much sense to only have the top half of the city protected and not the underneath.

So that's why I think that the upper half of the shield is a dome that maintains and emulates some kind of breathable atmosphere, like an ecosphere but without the vegetation, while the shield is strictly hull hugging underneath, close to the superstructure.

After all, why a shield couldn't be shaped according to two different models?
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    A while back, there's been a debate about if Atlantis' shield covered both parts or not.
    Evidence showed that it was only half a bubble, just covering the superior half of the city.

Recently, we saw that a cityship is propelled upwards in any condition, with the half bubble acting as a shield.
    The shield, is, by the way, always visible when activated.

However, it didn't make much sense to only have the top half of the city protected and not the underneath.

So that's why I think that the upper half of the shield is a dome that maintains and emulates some kind of breathable atmosphere, like an ecosphere but without the vegetation, while the shield is strictly hull hugging underneath, close to the superstructure.

After all, why a shield couldn't be shaped according to two different models?
    just watch atlantis progeny and see other wise the shield is not a dome its a ...(spoiler)
    sigpic

Comment

the city ship in progeny didnt have a spire on the bottom and my guess is like any good starship at least the bottom where there are no people was air tight and the shield was only needed on top to keep the city from inploding and air in during space flight.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

if the shield covered the bottom half of the city, how would the stardrives work with the shield on. Speaking of which, how do they get a one-way shield? I could understand energy weapons firing through shields, but solid objects like rail guns, missiles, and ship's propulsion?
        You know what I think?
        It don't really matter what I think.

Comment

one word and one word only...Scifi

"Their victims knew no peace until the Ori came and whispered to them"Sleep for the end draws near"and on that day all will rejoice when the Ori come and lay them low. "

Comment

Originally posted by Øsiris øf the Øri View Post
            one word and one word only...Scifi
            lol love it and hey is the signiture you have a quote from the show or did you make it up.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Its from the Fourth Horseman pt. 2.
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Orbital-Burn View Post
                if the shield covered the bottom half of the city, how would the stardrives work with the shield on. Speaking of which, how do they get a one-way shield? I could understand energy weapons firing through shields, but solid objects like rail guns, missiles, and ship's propulsion?
                In the Season 9 Episode "Prototype," they use a shield at the SGC given to them by the Tokra, that allowed them to fire bullets in but let nothing out. So maybe the shield does cover the entire city, and allows the star drive to propel them forward.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Orbital-Burn View Post
                  if the shield covered the bottom half of the city, how would the stardrives work with the shield on.
                  Because all shields in Stargate do so.

Having a shield only protecting one side of a ship is just completely idiotic.

I mean, why bother shooting at the side that is protected by a shield powered by three ZPMs when you can hit the other side and damage it with hand grenades?
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Take a look at this image

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...rogeny666.html

Beware I have friends and they are watching
                    Sig courtesy of LadyBozi. Thank you so much!
                    += FAT BABIES! Teyla/Ronon rules!
                    Spoiler:

R.I.P Carson, for now.
                    Courtesy of LadyBozi

Save Elizabeth now!!!

Comment

*GASP* illogical Sci-Fi attacks again

the shields do cover the entire city its just something stupid, the engines are not shielded i don't think but its stupid to have a half-dome, a missle or something could fly up under the shield

Comment

Hmmm, interesting... This pic here tells a different story than the one above
                        http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...rogeny305.html

This one, IMO appears to show the bottom section covered as well
                        http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...rogeny437.html

And then there is this pic that also makes me believe its a bubble shield, not a cut-off dome shield.
                        http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...rogeny586.html

I mean, it makes sense in my mind that it would be a complete bubble.... But maybe the writers / CG artists have other ideas... What we need is an in-show explaination to canonize this issue. lol.

Comment

I think this dome is not really a shield its just a kind of life support bubble like the darts have, cuz its already been established that shields dont work in hyperspace.
                          the shield would probably cover the entire city but the life support bubble doesn't have to.
                          plus remember in "The Storm" Zalenka said they could shield only select parts of the city if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith named Michael View Post
                            It's exactly after Progeny and that kind of images that I came with this idea, mixed to evidence of the shield being able to form a complete bubble. Progeny is quite puzzling in that way.

All shields do not need to be visible. Look the shields on the warships.

The visible shield is the one which keeps the biosphere. The other one, invisible, would cover the sensible underneath of the city, but tightly, as there's no need to keep a fake atmosphere down there.

As for the central spike on the underneath that we see from time to time on schematics, I supposed it's like on Osiris ship, but reversed. It's not always there.
                            It could be a stabilizer on the ocean, like an anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                              I think this dome is not really a shield its just a kind of life support bubble like the darts have, cuz its already been established that shields dont work in hyperspace.
                              the shield would probably cover the entire city but the life support bubble doesn't have to.
                              plus remember in "The Storm" Zalenka said they could shield only select parts of the city if they wanted to.
                              Considering that the city is remarkably fragile, flying it full throttle, unshielded, through space (which is not that empty) would be complete suicide.
                              Plus the biosphere bubble is of the exact same shape as the Lantean city shield.
                              Even if it was not a defense shield, it's still a force field, a low forcefield meant to keep the atmosphere inside. This, in the end, is still a shield of some sort which could not work in hyperspace.

However, we don't know if the restriction on shields in hyperspace works for all shield technologies.

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/1...5F1%5F007.html
                              http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/1...5F1%5F012.html

Look, the ice actually staked upon the shield, just like on Proclarush Teonas where rock formed a dome. It's definitively a forcefield. And it works in hyperspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X