This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't SG-1 Know we'll beat the Ori?

Why are they so worried that the Ori and even in previous seasons the Goa'uld will destroy Earth? In '1969' We saw that Earth and the SGC was still around decades into the future! Even Cassandra was still alive! BTW Where is Cassie?

Except that Carter knows full well that there is not one definite future that there are billions of them, an infinite amount even. The future we saw in 1969 was one of the futures possible at THAT moment. It can be over written as time progresses.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Conor
      Why are they so worried that the Ori and even in previous seasons the Goa'uld will destroy Earth? In '1969' We saw that Earth and the SGC was still around decades into the future! Even Cassandra was still alive! BTW Where is Cassie?
      Maybe the future isn't set in stone. The future we saw in "1969" was the future as of SG-1's trip back in time but other things can change it.

The events between then and now may have changed the future.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
        Except that Carter knows full well that there is not one definite future that there are billions of them, an infinite amount even. The future we saw in 1969 was one of the futures possible at THAT moment. It can be over written as time progresses.
        No, it doesn't work like that, that was the definite future... but when you go back in time you create a new reality...

Comment

But that reality is this one though right? Or the one in the show I mean

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
            No, it doesn't work like that, that was the definite future... but when you go back in time you create a new reality...
            How do you know how it works? Are you a time traveler?

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor
              But that reality is this one though right? Or the one in the show I mean
              I'd say that it is a possible future, but it is a future that can be altered - why do you think Cassie wouldn't tell them anything?

Imagine if Cassie had told them that Janet was dead in her time and that she'd died in combat offworld - what if, in an effort to prevent this, Janet was no longer allowed to travel offworld if combat was a possibility? She would survive Season Seven and continue to have an impact on the timeline, changing the future.

On the other hand, what if Cassie had let it slip that Daniel, for example, was still alive in her time? Could the knowledge that he would still be alive when Cassie was an old lady lead him to be more reckless with his safety that otherwise, possibly leading to his death - a permanent one?

Even the "knowledge" that the SGC would still be around a few decades on could impact the future if the team were to take a false sense of security from it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiod
                I don't know how it works in real life, but I know how it works in the show, smart arse.

Comment

I don't know how it works in real life, but I know how it works in the show, smart arse.
                  Oh! Burn!! He took you downtown homeboy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiod

i am............an you will fall in a big puddle tomorrow!

Comment

Aha.

Look. There is NO such thing as a definite future. They traveled to a possible future thta was open to them at that moments time.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Look. There is NO such thing as a definite future. They traveled to a possible future thta was open to them at that moments time.
                        Where are you getting this from? Did it come to you in a dream, or did you just make it up perhaps?

Comment

Oh stop being an ass.

Aside from the fact that I know the theory behind this kind of thing in real life like the back of my hand, go watch Season 6's prophecy.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

okay what i reckon..

they went into the future in 1969.. thats great. and that was probably a definite future for that timeline.

that timeline ended when sg1 went and screwed things up in ancient egypt.

the sg1 fighting the ori is a completely different sg1, from an alternate timeline, and so therefore their future is most likely different from the team who went to, what was it? 2079?

also.. even if it IS the same timeline, how do we know that the ori havent taken control of the galaxy and that the sgc has been shutdown?

as far as i can tell, the ori can make gates pretty easily, so it wouldnt take much effort to put one with a dhd on earth and cancel out the sgc's gate..
                            VL2DY4 - Why drink and drive when you can boost and slide...

Comment

Oh stop being an ass.

Aside from the fact that I know the theory behind this kind of thing in real life like the back of my hand, go watch Season 6's prophecy.
                              The episode that shows you can't predict the future?

Comment

Working...
                              X