Thread: Wraith Tattoos

Red face Wraith Tattoos

Does anyone one know why the Wraith have tattoos?

How many sorts of tattoos are there?

Who gets to be inked?

And for good measure... what does Ronon's tattoo mean?

Anyone????????

In a bipedal tank a sort of metal gear (leeds)

Default Re: Wraith Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by LantianBabe
    Does anyone one know why the Wraith have tattoos?

How many sorts of tattoos are there?

Who gets to be inked?

And for good measure... what does Ronon's tattoo mean?

Anyone????????
    welcome to gateworld maybe its a symbol of there rank

Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 champions!!!
    Sir Kevin Sinfield
    http://joelhopkins.wordpress.com/ my blog (not always PG)
    Metal gear fan

Ronon's might be a military thing, though I'm not sure if the others in the group he was fighting with on Sateda had the similar ones.
    *THUNK*

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

Cassidy- "Go ahead, Munch, rain on my parade."
    Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Thanks! I noticed on another thread some discussion about Ronon's tat meaning his name or something like that. I like the military rank theory best.

Trying to figure out of the Hive Queens have more elaborate tattoos than the other Wraith... that might indicate rank. But did the Keeper have tats? I don't recall that she did... and she would surely be considered of very high rank??

Thanks! I noticed on another thread some discussion about Ronon's tat meaning his name or something like that. I like the military rank theory best.

Trying to figure out of the Hive Queens have more elaborate tattoos than the other Wraith... that might indicate rank. But did the Keeper have tats? I don't recall that she did... and she would surely be considered of very high rank??
    Ronon's tattoo doesn't even have to be a rank. Sometimes certain groups have their own tattoos.

As for the Keeper, you're right, she didn't have any tattoos.
    *THUNK*

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

Cassidy- "Go ahead, Munch, rain on my parade."
    Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

True! Perhaps the symbol of Ronon's military assignment team.

Still wondering about the Wraith. Their tattoos are also coincidentally very similar to some of the iconography Apophis used.

I would imagine that the tattoos signify ranks among the Wraith. The Queen in the second season of Atlantis had them of the left side of her face. As for the Keeper, why would she need any tats to signify who she was. Think of the military how everyone has ranks but the highest rank in the military is the president, and does not wear anything to signify that everyone just knows. Hope that makes sense.

Staff Sergeant

Why must they have meaning other than for aesthetic or fashion reasons?

Both good points! Perhaps the Keeper is a lower ranking Wraith female who has not progressed to tattoos... a Hive Queen in waiting?

And it's true that it's possible the tats are purely decorative. Although the complexity of the Hive Queen tattoos compared with the ink on other Wraith would suggest otherwise. Like the markings are status symbols.

I wonder if the markings are tribal as well, marking all the Wraith under one Queen as belonging to her... like the the Jaffa tattoos mark them as serving under one particular Goa'uld.

the tattos could be tribal, rankings or stages, or honors for things done people sucked, ect.
    Or just for decoration....

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

On one of the s1 DVD extras, I think Peter DeLuise or Martin Wood mentioned that the tattoos were infact their names and that their identities were based purely on their tattoos with no verbal attachment at all.

Photography | dA1 | dA2 | Fan Art | Fanfic | Tumblr
    New Fanfics:

Stargate Atlantis: Exile - Three years after Enemy at the Gate, the Wraith launch a devastating attack on Earth...

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis: Revelations - How each and every main character reacted after they found out about the Stargate's existence.

Regarding Ronon's tattoo.. I always wondered if it was a Satedan thing or if the Wraith had given it him... marking him as a Runner? It looks vaguely Wraith-ish to me...

Can't recall if we ever see him with the tattoo in any of the flashbacks to his pre-Runner days...

Stuck at Fox River- i didn't make it over the wall

I won't speculate on what the tattoos mean, but to me they've always reminded me of Maori tattoos and symbols
    very swirly and pointy ends. Although Maori symbols usually refer to live and prosperity and such, which aren't really Wraith traits.
    Boston University Terriers Hockey : 27 time Beanpot champions who play on the Jack Parker Rink at Agganis Arena

It is extremely unwise and even unproductive to do arithmetical calculations on certain types of animals until they have emerged from their calcified coverings

Quote Originally Posted by sueKay
    On one of the s1 DVD extras, I think Peter DeLuise or Martin Wood mentioned that the tattoos were infact their names and that their identities were based purely on their tattoos with no verbal attachment at all.
    That's particularly interesting, although the fact that the Keeper doesn't have a tattoo slightly negates that they're names. Perhaps just a glitch in the Altantis 'verse?

Does anyone know if the Wraith soldiers (ones with the masks) have tattoos?

Time to check the Ronon flashbacks for evidence of his tattoo too!
    Last edited by LantianBabe; October 5th, 2006 at 05:43 AM.

Staff Sergeant

That's particularly interesting, although the fact that the Keeper doesn't have a tattoo slightly negates that they're names. Perhaps just a glitch in the Altantis 'verse?

Does anyone know if the Wraith soldiers (ones with the masks) have tattoos?

Time to check the Ronon flashbacks for evidence of his tattoo too!
    If I recall, the the masked Wraith grunts sometimes have tattoos on their arms.

I shall check it out. Am determined to get to the bottom of the Wraith tattoo mystery

Probie

Ronon Re: Wraith Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Alipeeps View Post
    Regarding Ronon's tattoo.. I always wondered if it was a Satedan thing or if the Wraith had given it him... marking him as a Runner? It looks vaguely Wraith-ish to me...

Can't recall if we ever see him with the tattoo in any of the flashbacks to his pre-Runner days...
    Hi, Grey Wolf here. Ronon's neck tattoo is his Satedan Military rank. Jason Momoa's arm tattoo is his family's totem (i think) of a mako shark, from what ive read elsewhere. He also has a BIG tattoo on one of his legs (or all legs) that is of his geneology and is done in the (painful) traditional method by someone in Hawaii by tapping the ink in (not sure of what its done with (similar to old-school chinese tattooing methods)) instead of the normal tattoo gun. Id love to see a pic of that/those tats on his leg(s)

Probie

that's true...Ronon din the arm tatoo when he went home in Hawaii without asking the producers....so they had to include this new tatoo in the movie...i don't know what episode but we see Ronon at bar and a man doing his arm tatoo.