This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody get the feeling...

Anybody get the feeling that a fair amount of the tech from both shows will become real in the next 20 to 50 years. i know its still a long time but you know i just got this feeling. does anybody elles think so

Some of the tech, maybe. I heard that we're beginning to be able to bend light around objects to render them invisible to the naked eye (cloak).
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

ive heard that ive seen some low tech prototypes that use camras and projectors. but then thers Z.P.E and anti-mater lasers, railguns so on and so on

Comment

well i have an article saying they are developing a hyperdrive http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18925331.200
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

And then there is this link that talks about shields.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_window

Science Fiction has always pushed science to creating the imagined.

Comment

the one thing i wanna know is artificial gravity and antigravity. possibly a device that allows complete manipulation over it. if anyone has links id greatly appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
              the one thing i wanna know is artificial gravity and antigravity. possibly a device that allows complete manipulation over it. if anyone has links id greatly appreciate it
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podklet...ng_experiments

(google search on Podkletnov & gravity yields plenty of other relevant links)

It was an accident so even today's scientists (including the author) are not quite sure how it works, heh

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

Yo welcome...but...don't expect Star Trek yet, eh? you'll be disappointed...anti-gravity is on the drawing boards (heck even private companies are working on it to save fuel for the airliners) but chances are there's still a long way to go before something tangible arises from all those equations :|

Comment

just to think of the ammount of buisness applications that would lead to. increased gravity fitness centers, physical rehab, theme parks, gaming, automobiles, space craft. the person who invents a way to get full control over gravity will indeed be a very very wealthy man or woman.

Comment

Busine$$ wasn't the 1st thing that came to mind (more of a science guy myself heh) but yeah...guess it would be good if it could lower the cost of things...for example airliners that could compensate for gravity would need waaay less fuel (imagine New York to London with just 1kg of kerosene!), this should drastically lower the cost of airline tickets as well as entail other benefits that would result from this, like less oil => less pollution etc

Of course there's the flip side of it...imagine the weaponry they could create with that kinda tech

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver
                        Busine$$ wasn't the 1st thing that came to mind (more of a science guy myself heh) but yeah...guess it would be good if it could lower the cost of things...for example airliners that could compensate for gravity would need waaay less fuel (imagine New York to London with just 1kg of kerosene!), this should drastically lower the cost of airline tickets as well as entail other benefits that would result from this, like less oil => less pollution etc

Of course there's the flip side of it...imagine the weaponry they could create with that kinda tech
                        Unfortunatly major advances in any technology doesn't really start to do any good until someone discovers how to make money from it. For instance look at space flight today. Businesses are popping up such as Virgin Galactic etc that will make money from venturing into space and that's when we'll start to see the innovation and new ideas come into it. Organisations like NASA, Russian and European space agencies will be come a little redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonmatel
                          Unfortunatly major advances in any technology doesn't really start to do any good until someone discovers how to make money from it. For instance look at space flight today. Businesses are popping up such as Virgin Galactic etc that will make money from venturing into space and that's when we'll start to see the innovation and new ideas come into it. Organisations like NASA, Russian and European space agencies will be come a little redundant.
                          yup, the eternal conundrum of business spurring research whilst at the same time impeding it...btw didn't they shoot some lass into space just a few days ago? she was supposed to be the 1st space tourist or something...

Comment

Yeah.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anousheh_Ansari

The Space Agencies have seemed to lose some of their Edge and they really haven't done anything lately that gets people excited. Looks like NASA has problems everytime they go into space these days and i was reading an article at wired.com the other day how they need new blood working their cause most of the engineers are 50+.

It's either business or war that drives technology foward and i'd prefer the former.

Comment

Ah but business also drives war hehe...I'd rather have genuine scientific curiosity driving technology forward but alas, that's wishful thinking I guess...
                              yeah apparently NASA's reputation hasn't exactly been shining ever since 1986. If they could get that pseudo-hyperdrive working that'd be like a breath of fresh air for them (it's supposed to use a 6TH FORCE or something scientific consensus is already having trouble enough accepting a 5th force let alone a 6th lol)
                              Last edited by SoulReaver; 23 September 2006, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X