Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thunking, Whumping, and shipping - Has everyone gone mad?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunking, Whumping, and shipping - Has everyone gone mad?!

I was just looking at the "Characters and Relationships" thread section and noticed something. The entire first page of threads is all thunking, shipping and whumping. What is it with this type of activity that is so "popular"? I just don't get it. I may be thick headed, but I just don't understand the popularity of it. What exactly is whumping and thunking? I know what Shipping is? And it just makes me roll my eyes. Can someone please enlighten me?
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Thunk threads are for discussing/posting pics etc relating to the attractiveness of a male star (I believe WOW threads are the equivalent for female stars)

Whump threads are for those who like hurt/comfort (i.e. enjoy seeing that particular character deal with emotional/physical pain and how that reflects the character's strengths/weaknesses/friendships etc)

Shipping you already understand.

It's not so surprising that the characters and relationships forum is full of these threads.. they are all discussions etc concerning the characters and their relationships...
    sigpic

Comment

It's fun, is all. And gives people other people to talk to. Nothing much to it except fun and some nice giggle time.
      thankee toasteronfire

Comment

so, can a thread be a thunk and whump at the same time? And what would you call it? TWHHUUNMKP? Oh wait, I forgot WOW threads.

Ok, I get the idea behind these things. What I don't get is the sheer volume of it. I even saw a Jack-Daniel ship thread. And I don't mean a friendship types of thoughts either. Hey you know, what ever floats your boat is none of my business. But what was suprizing was that a LOT of girls were into the male on male action. In fact, it was mostly girls. I dunno, but I'd speculate that some of the thunkers are also huge chocolate consumers. As a substitute for you know what. I mean, some of those girls made ME blush. And that is no small feat.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla
          I dunno, but I'd speculate that some of the thunkers are also huge chocolate consumers.
          Hellz yeah. Although my obsession with Thunk/chocolate is an occasional substitute for...well, life, really.
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

well...a lot of Slashers (fans of homosexual relationships between male characters) are female, while a lot of femslashers (fans of homosexual relationships between female characters) are male.

I dunno...I think it's whatever floats your boat. I get it. A lot of people don't.

There are general character discussion threads too, and if you don't want to discuss characters at all then there's the rest of the forum
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

No, thunk and whump threads are generally kept separate. Not all people who thunk for a character like whumping.. and not all whumpers thunk for the character they like to whump (though they mostly do.. attraction is a definite element of whumpage! )

As Cap said above, it's just for fun really and mostly very light-hearted. there's always a few people who take things a liiiittle bit too seriously and get into the whole ship wars mentality etc but most people are just having fun. There are also character discussion threads in this forum too which are more about in-depth discussion of the character and are a bit more serious.

The volume is... what it is. People come here to discuss and enjoy their favourite characters. It's no different that the Season 2 forum having threads about every single Season 2 episode and every single aspect of those episodes... it's what the forum is about.

As for slash.. well, to each their own.
              sigpic

Comment

But what was suprizing was that a LOT of girls were into the male on male action. In fact, it was mostly girls. I dunno, but I'd speculate that some of the thunkers are also huge chocolate consumers. As a substitute for you know what.
                Why necessarily a substitute for and not an addition to? If the slash at GW surprises you, you better sit down with a nice calming cup of tea before you explore the rest of the internet. Slash is everywhere, in every fandom online and off (zines) and still growing like crazy. And if guys can be into f/f "action", certainly girls can be into m/m (the difference being, that I've noticed, is that for the girls, it's about a whole lot more than just the rampant sex. The sex is just a really hot bonus. )

As to your original question, yes. And madness is really underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                  well...a lot of Slashers (fans of homosexual relationships between male characters) are female, while a lot of femslashers (fans of homosexual relationships between female characters) are male.

I dunno...I think it's whatever floats your boat. I get it. A lot of people don't.
                  Precisely, no one seems to question it when a man gets hot under the collar at the thought of two girls together so why shouldn't girls get the same kicks out of the idea of two hot guys together? It's not my thing but I won't judge people who do like it.

The fact is in any fandom you'll find shippers for every imaginable pairing it's just that here on Gateworld they have set aside a forum for this kind of thread and discussion so it's more visible.

The fact is that thunking, whumping and shipping is all harmless fun and never intended to be taken seriously.

Comment

You guys are just too much! LOL!! Can you thunk or Whump a ship too? Like the Daedalus, or and Asgard O'Niell class?

Comment

yes, that is us..of course we are mad...that is the whole point of thunking, whumping and shipping what's it to ya to know? j/k sorry, i am just a bit crazy
                      sigpic

Comment

You guys are just too much! LOL!! Can you thunk or Whump a ship too? Like the Daedalus, or and Asgard O'Niell class?
                        Now that's just too weird for me!!!! I mean, c'mon...what would the neighbors think? We have a reputation to uphold here!

(just joking around). Slash isn't for me either, but I'm not one to say anything, so if you want to have people in love with ships or ships in love with each other, uh...so be it.
                        Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

I thunk the Gate. Milky Way tho, not Pegasus.

Comment

I was just looking at the "Characters and Relationships" thread section and noticed something. The entire first page of threads is all thunking, shipping and whumping. What is it with this type of activity that is so "popular"? I just don't get it. I may be thick headed, but I just don't understand the popularity of it. What exactly is whumping and thunking? I know what Shipping is? And it just makes me roll my eyes. Can someone please enlighten me?
                            shipping rules

thunkers are scaring and very hardcore
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

yeah but they don't get their own threads so we have to sneak it in our regular ones (cause the Daedalus was one sweet ship )

Comment

Working...
                              X