This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antartic Stargate not getting wormholes

OK it was discussed in another thread that if a stargate is connected to a DHD and there are multiple gates gates in a solar system it gets priority and recieves all incoming wormholes. So in this case why didn't all incoming wormholes get directed to the Antartic gate when it was still in the Antartic.
    I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

I was just thinking about this very subject today.........the answer is that it should have but if we try to imagine a reason why not we could say that because the most recently used DHD/gate combination that the stargate network was aware of was Ra's gate * perhaps some transponder in the gate itself was signaling that it was the dominant gate until such time as the original/Antarctic DHD was activated at which time the Antarctic gate became the dominant gate again. *shrug* that's my best guess

Comment

I'd say it was more than just presence/absense of a DHD. I think other factors like orientation (the antartic stargate was tilted sideways a bit) would be taken into account.

Certainly when the Giza gate was buried, the Antartic gate was dialed at least once - Sam found a serpent guard frozen solid when she and Jack where stuck there.

Comment

The Antartic gate didn't receive any incoming wormholes because it was buried in ice. Chances are the power surge that caused the gates to jump caused it to shake like our gate did freeing it so that a wormhole could form.
        Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

It is entirely possible that a Gate Jump surge could un-bury a gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
            The Antartic gate didn't receive any incoming wormholes because it was buried in ice. Chances are the power surge that caused the gates to jump caused it to shake like our gate did freeing it so that a wormhole could form.
            Then how did the frozen Jaffa get there?

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

id say the jaffa got there in the usual way because the ice would certainly have air bubbles in it allowing the wormhole to establish after the giza gate was buried(doesnt explain why it was a serpent guard and not a horus guard though)and he couldnt dial back and say it was safe to travel becaue of no power,and the reason why the giza gate maintained priority after it was unburied and used was because(i think atleast) of the no power thing too
              i.e. if a remote for a a television has no power in the batteries it acts as if the remote it disconnected from the television

Comment

What about the christians on that what planet? They were probably brought through the antartic stargate according to Sam.

Or I guess it could have been a ship.

Comment

Haven't they shown in previous episodes that if the area inside the gate isn't obstructed then a wormhole can form. There was an episode where Tealc ended up in a cavern carved out by the unstable vortex. I'm not sure what season or episode it was though.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
                    Haven't they shown in previous episodes that if the area inside the gate isn't obstructed then a wormhole can form. There was an episode where Tealc ended up in a cavern carved out by the unstable vortex. I'm not sure what season or episode it was though.
                    That is true, and that is why the Antarctic gate was able to still work. As long as there is enough room for the event horizon to form then a wormhole can be opened, and it doesn't matter if there is anything covering the gate because the wave would just vaporise anything it touches. The Iris is a few microns from the event horizon, so the gate can open but it doesn't allow the vortex to form or matter to reintergrate.. When Teal'c dug himself out, the gate was covered but not completely buried. The Antarctic gate would have been the same, covered in ice but not buried in it, otherwise Carter and O'Neill would have been sent to somewhere else.

Then how did the frozen Jaffa get there?
                    How about the same way Sam and Jack did. He could have been under fire and trying to retreat, but instead the enemy fire caused the wormhole to jump to earth. If it happened once, chances are it's happened before and that could explain the Jaffa.

sigpic

Comment

maybe the serpent gaurd was sent with the aphosis forces like a scout and the rest came to rescue him but got sent to ra's gate

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

you gotta remember that earth had been protected by the asgard. Apophis may have decided a couple of hundred years ago to test it out. low and behold Jaffa come through the gate never to return. Apophis assumes that the asgard had something to do with it.

Comment

Earth only became protected during the show so it has no bearing on the second gate when it was buried. If Apophis sent his guards, them returning would have nothing to with the Asgard.

sigpic

Comment

It could have something to do with that. The agreement between the Asgard and the Gou'uld (not sure on the spelling) was made long before we had any idea of it. It also could have been Ra trying to send through troops after the people of Egypt burried the first gate. I always wondered then what happened to the DHD? I mean in Moebus the gate clearly had a DHD, so what happened to it? Did Ra take it with him when he left?

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
                              It could have something to do with that. The agreement between the Asgard and the Gou'uld (not sure on the spelling) was made long before we had any idea of it. It also could have been Ra trying to send through troops after the people of Egypt burried the first gate. I always wondered then what happened to the DHD? I mean in Moebus the gate clearly had a DHD, so what happened to it? Did Ra take it with him when he left?
                              the DHD was buried along with the gate, it was then discovered and eventually it came into the posession of the Germans. It was then later confiscated from the Germans after World War 2 by the Russians who then used it when they discovered the Egypt gate (probably because Maybourne told them about it, that way they knew what it could do). It finally got destroyed when Teal'c was saved in "48 Hours"

As for the Antarctic DHD, it's power source eventually died sometime after the second gate was being used by the NID to steal technology from off world locations. Not sure which episode it was stated.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X