Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Brigadier General SaberBlade's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Belfast, UK.
    Posts
    8,094

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    I am surprised you needed to even ask, as SG1 should have made it obviously clear over the years. And yes it is higher, no apparently about it.

    Captain (Carter when SG1 started), Major (when Carter was first promoted), Lieutenant Colonel (Carter's second promotion/Mitchell's rank), Colonel (Jacks original rank), Brigadier General (when Jack got promoted), Major General (Jack's second promotion/Hammonds original rank/Landry's rank), Lieutenant General (Hammonds promotion) plus there are two higher ranks
    Last edited by SaberBlade; September 16th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.



  3. #3
    Lieutenant Colonel AGateFan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I dont really exist
    Posts
    4,441

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Colonel Jack O'Neill..... Major Carter.......to later become General Jack O'Neill and Lt. Colonel Carter......

    2nd Lt.
    1st Lt.
    Captain
    Major
    Lt. Colonel
    Colonel (called full bird due to the insignia)
    General
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

    ^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

    AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

  4. #4
    Colonel the Fifth Race's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, home of Starfleet & World Champions
    Posts
    5,487

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Here ya go Fallenangel.....

    AIR FORCE (USAF)

    Commissioned

    General of the Air Force (the very rare 5 star)
    General (4 star)
    Lieutenant General (3 star)
    Major General (2 star)
    Brigadier General (1 star)
    Colonel
    Lt. Colonel
    Major
    Captain
    First Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant


    Enlisted

    Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
    Chief Master Sergeant with 1st Sergeant Status
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Senior Master Sergeant with 1st Sergeant Status
    Senior Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant with 1st Sergeant Status
    Master Sergeant
    Technical Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    Sergeant / Senior Airman
    (note: Sergeant rank phased out in 1992)
    Airman First Class
    Airman
    Airman Basic

  5. #5
    Brigadier General FallenAngelII's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lemming Prophet/Lemming Slasher
    Posts
    8,147

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    I just block out "unnecessary" information such as ranks. All I know is that it's Colonel Mitchell, Colonel Carter and Brigadier General Jack O'Neill .

    Also, I barely slept last night.

  6. #6
    Brigadier General SaberBlade's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Belfast, UK.
    Posts
    8,094

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    It's actually Lieutenant Colonel Carter, Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell and I believe now Major General Jack O'Neill.

    With that said, get some sleep. You shouldn't be forgetting stuff like this.

    I believe there is also a supposed 6 star rank, the one they gave George Washington to make him the highest ranked military officer of all time (within the US anyway).



  7. #7
    Captain Avenger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, Ca
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Knowing ranks is kind of important when you're watching a show where the military is quite prominent.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

  8. #8
    Second Lieutenant mikeroq's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    There is no 6 star rank, you could call 6 star the president of the united states.

    4 stars is the highest General. A 5 star is only in times of war for the General of the Army, airforce, ect.

  9. #9
    First Lieutenant Esquin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Theres a 5 star now, but in all the branches of the military hasn't there only been something like 10 5 star generals?

  10. #10
    Second Lieutenant mikeroq's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    There is no 5 star General at this time for the Army or the Airforce. Gade O-11 (5 star) is a wartime only rank.

  11. #11
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade
    It's actually Lieutenant Colonel Carter, Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell and I believe now Major General Jack O'Neill.

    With that said, get some sleep. You shouldn't be forgetting stuff like this.

    I believe there is also a supposed 6 star rank, the one they gave George Washington to make him the highest ranked military officer of all time (within the US anyway).

    there have been a few men who have recived the 6th star...BUT only one of them has ever had it WHILE ALIVE ( all other recived it posthumusly) and that man was General Auther MacAurther ( father of Doulas MacAurther) the tile for that rank is General of the Armies of the United States (notice the plural there)
    Have a thirst for galactic conquest??
    Join the Battle

    http://uc1.GamesTotal.com/?tft=cf20

  12. #12
    Second Lieutenant Enzo Aquarius's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlantis - Pier 5 - Luxury Condos
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Information can be found at Wikipedia here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6-star_general

  13. #13
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Aquarius
    Information can be found at Wikipedia here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6-star_general

    ah ...my bad...it was preshing, not macauther :-P ( comes from me not being american...thats my story and I am sticking to it :-) )
    Have a thirst for galactic conquest??
    Join the Battle

    http://uc1.GamesTotal.com/?tft=cf20

  14. #14
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,407

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by the Fifth Race
    Here ya go Fallenangel.....

    AIR FORCE (USAF)

    Commissioned

    General of the Air Force (the very rare 5 star)
    General (4 star)
    Lieutenant General (3 star)
    Major General (2 star)
    Brigadier General (1 star)
    Colonel
    Lt. Colonel
    Major
    Captain
    First Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant


    Enlisted

    Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
    Chief Master Sergeant with 1st Sergeant Status
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Senior Master Sergeant with 1st Sergeant Status
    Senior Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant with 1st Sergeant Status
    Master Sergeant
    Technical Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    Sergeant / Senior Airman
    (note: Sergeant rank phased out in 1992)
    Airman First Class
    Airman
    Airman Basic

    Wikipedia ftw!

    Eighth Doctor revisit: Sword of Orion

  15. #15
    Staff Sergeant Casanova's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    88

    Arrow Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    ONLY 5 stars? Our Chief of Defence Force is an Air Chief Marshal. That's 7 stars, above Air Marshal and Air Vice Marshal.
    Sometimes the truth........
    Spoiler:
    http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6...r753028cv7.jpg
    ..........Is stranger than fiction.
    Click Here>>>>>>My Myspace Page<<<<<<<Click Here

    Losing people sucks but......"It is foolish and pointless to mourn the men who have died. Rather we should rejoice that such men lived."
    - General George S. Patton

  16. #16

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casanova
    ONLY 5 stars? Our Chief of Defence Force is an Air Chief Marshal. That's 7 stars, above Air Marshal and Air Vice Marshal.
    Well, I'm not 100% sure how it works in Commonwealth nations. . . but I'm fairly certain that the notion of seniority is the same as what we use in the US.

    The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is operationally senior to all active-duty military personnel, but he still only has four stars. I think the same goes for your Chief of Defense Force.

  17. #17
    Staff Sergeant Casanova's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    88

    Question Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bragi
    Well, I'm not 100% sure how it works in Commonwealth nations. . . but I'm fairly certain that the notion of seniority is the same as what we use in the US.

    The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is senior to all active-duty military personnel, but he still only has four stars. I think the same goes for your Chief of Defense Force.
    What I'm surprised about was that there are no Marshals in the US Military Command. Our CDF (ACM Angus Houston) is not on the Joint Chiefs, but is a separate, higher office. We have our Joint Chiefs, but they all answer directly to the ACM, and then the ACM to the Governor-General, who is Commander-in-Chief. It's Ironic the Prime Minister has no constitutional authority over the CDF though. I think there's an international standard for 'stars', it's just odd General Pace is lower in rank than ACM Houston, Australia being a Regional power rather then a Global power like the US is.
    Sometimes the truth........
    Spoiler:
    http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6...r753028cv7.jpg
    ..........Is stranger than fiction.
    Click Here>>>>>>My Myspace Page<<<<<<<Click Here

    Losing people sucks but......"It is foolish and pointless to mourn the men who have died. Rather we should rejoice that such men lived."
    - General George S. Patton

  18. #18
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casanova
    What I'm surprised about was that there are no Marshals in the US Military Command. Our CDF (ACM Angus Houston) is not on the Joint Chiefs, but is a separate, higher office. We have our Joint Chiefs, but they all answer directly to the ACM, and then the ACM to the Governor-General, who is Commander-in-Chief. It's Ironic the Prime Minister has no constitutional authority over the CDF though. I think there's an international standard for 'stars', it's just odd General Pace is lower in rank than ACM Houston, Australia being a Regional power rather then a Global power like the US is.

    no... there is no international standerd for "stars" as many nations dont even use them as insginia... how ever differant nations have varying sized militaries and as such dont have as High ranks... her is a bit of an example for flag ranks from my knowlage ( flag ranks being genrals , admirals etc) and thier equels

    from lowerst to highest

    Brigader (general ) (one star in the US)- Commador - air commador

    Major general ( two stars in the us) - Rear admiral - air vice marshel

    LT general (three stars in the us)- Vice Admiral - air marshell

    General (four stars in the us)- admiral- air chief marshell

    General of the army ( 5th star us)/ Field Marshell ( UK and others) - Fleet Admiral ( US) / Admiral of the fleet ( OK and others) - Marshell of the Air Force (UK ) General of the air force ( US )
    (6th star - US ONLY) Genral of the armies - admiral of the navy (in the UK it is presumable that the reigning monarch actually holds this equivialnt)
    Have a thirst for galactic conquest??
    Join the Battle

    http://uc1.GamesTotal.com/?tft=cf20

  19. #19
    Staff Sergeant Casanova's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    88

    Arrow Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by LunchBoxWpg
    General (four stars in the us)- admiral- air chief marshell

    General of the army ( 5th star us)/ Field Marshell ( UK and others) - Fleet Admiral ( US) / Admiral of the fleet ( OK and others) - Marshell of the Air Force (UK ) General of the air force ( US )
    (6th star - US ONLY) Genral of the armies - admiral of the navy (in the UK it is presumable that the reigning monarch actually holds this equivialnt)
    The rank of Air Chief Marshal is equal to Field Marshal in Australia. Traditionally the rank of Marshal has been held in high esteem. Australia's Field Marshal is the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip, although his role is purely ceremonial.
    Sometimes the truth........
    Spoiler:
    http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6...r753028cv7.jpg
    ..........Is stranger than fiction.
    Click Here>>>>>>My Myspace Page<<<<<<<Click Here

    Losing people sucks but......"It is foolish and pointless to mourn the men who have died. Rather we should rejoice that such men lived."
    - General George S. Patton

  20. #20
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: What rank is higher? Major or Colonel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casanova
    The rank of Air Chief Marshal is equal to Field Marshal in Australia. Traditionally the rank of Marshal has been held in high esteem. Australia's Field Marshal is the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip, although his role is purely ceremonial.

    are you sure about the air chief marshell being equel to the feild marshell? it wou seem to me to be a demotion is stature, that and from what I understood Australia used the same structure as the UK ( and other commenrwelth nations)...and by the sounds of it why would a non royal be held in equel standing to a royal in military rank outside of war time? I could be mistaken (N as I am not australian) how ever let us both check our info so see if it is correct? wikipedia here I come lol
    Have a thirst for galactic conquest??
    Join the Battle

    http://uc1.GamesTotal.com/?tft=cf20

Similar Threads

  1. Higher Planes of Existance- How do they look?
    By Sauron18 in forum Season Ten
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 1st, 2006, 03:20 AM
  2. Rank The Episodes-Major spoilers for 9.01-9.10 Inside!!
    By SierraGulf1 in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM
  3. Does earth seem to have a higher population?
    By tauriprivatesoldier in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 7th, 2006, 12:57 AM
  4. Do Lt. Colonel Mitchell and Colonel Pendergast Know Each Other Well? (SPOILERS!)
    By lionel_pendergast_rocks in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2005, 04:27 AM
  5. colonel everett AKA Colonel Foghorn Leghorn
    By walterwhatshisface in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •