This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commemorate the heroes, honor the lost

This monday is the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Now is the time to honor the everyday heroes who came out that day. Now is the time to remember those we lost that day. Now is the time that we should be thankful for those who survived.

I would be an orphan now if someone hadn't be late to meet up for scouting locations for a movie. My dad would have been at the twin towers when the planes hit, but someone was late, so the crew was waiting for that person on the other side of the river when the planes hit. It never occured to me how lucky my dad was to have someone be late, perhaps that's because this is my first 9/11 without my mom.

My dad took pictures of the towers that day, here they are. (click to make bigger)

Spoiler:
    Before you met me I was a fairy princess
    I caught frogs and called them prince
    And made myself a queen
    Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
    I slept in castles and fell in love
    Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
    To capture tinkerbell
    They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
    But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
    And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
    And anything I can to get by
    And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Absouloutly

Comment

If anyone else has a story of an everyday hero, please share.
      Spoiler:
      Before you met me I was a fairy princess
      I caught frogs and called them prince
      And made myself a queen
      Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
      I slept in castles and fell in love
      Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
      To capture tinkerbell
      They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
      But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
      And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
      And anything I can to get by
      And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

A nice idea for a thread.

As New Yorker I always approach this anniversary with dread. But I do remember the kindness of the Modell's Sports Store on 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue in Manhattan. Public transportation was stopped between boroughs and droves of people had to walk home to Brooklyn, or even the Bronx. (For non-New Yorkers, these sections of NYC have to be reached by bridge or tunnel) This store actually gave sneakers to women (maybe men, too) so they could walk more comfortably. It was a compassionate gift to all who received them.

Just sayin', President Bush laid the memorial wreath at the Twin Towers site today. And tomorrow at work we'll do our period of silence to honor those lost.
        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
        sigpic
        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

An associate of mine lost his life on 9/11. He was a fire marshal for his floor in the WTC. He tried to see to it that everyone on his floor got out safely; he himself, sadly, did not. His family set up a memorial fund in his honor, and I donated to it at the time.

After 9/11, a lot of people around here started flying the flag and placing flag decals on their cars. I couldn't find a flag decal for my car anywhere; everywhere I looked was sold out. So I printed out a small color picture of the flag, and stuck it in my car's back window with scotch tape. It's still there, although the white parts are now more yellow than white.

I work in Lower Manhattan, just a few blocks from the WTC site. I don't know of any specific plans to commemorate the day, but I am sure there will be a moment of silence, at least.
          I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Working...
          X