This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Water - How do you rate it?

Without giving anything (vital ) away, how would those of you who have seen it rate this flick?

Aside from two drowned cats gasping, "oh, gawd, oh, gawd, oh gawd!" for 60+ minutes, is there anything to reccomend this movie?

I'm counting on you - ten dollars is a lot of money to waste on dreck.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    Aside from two drowned cats gasping, "oh, gawd, oh, gawd, oh gawd!" for 60+ minutes, is there anything to reccomend this movie?
    I apologize, I haven´t got a clue what the movie is about, but that cat-thing made me laugh. So, thanks.

*leaves the floor to someone else*
    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Seeing has how none of the theaters in my area start screening the film until this afternoon, I can't really say anything on it's behalf from my personal point of view. However, RottenTomatoes.com, a site that accumulates film reviews, has it at 73% positive at this point.
      Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
      O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
      O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

It's getting some really good reviews and it's got the "Cinderella" factor of having an obscenely low budget and still packing some entertainment. If you like scary (not so much gory) thrillers - which I do - it's probably great. I'll probably wait to rent it, though. If I'm going to be scared out of my wits, I'd rather be on my own couch peeking out from behind my dog.

BTW, it is based on a true story. Google it if you want the spoilers, but the true story is, it itself, quite intriguing.
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I can't believe it only cost about $50,000 to make. Cheapy film. Not sure how I'll like it. Although I probably won't go see it. It doesn't strike at me as an amazing film.
          __

__

Comment

I believe it was $130,000, but given the fact that the leads are relatively unknown and the average filming day consisted of those two and a crew of two or three...I can see how they did it. They got onto a few film festival rotations and the buzz generated from there. As one can tell from the promos, if you didn't like Jaws, I imagine you want to stay far, far away from this one.

p.s. Tok'ra Hostess: It's 80 minutes.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Saw the movie and I would reccomend it - to some - but it's not gonna be just anybody's cuppa.

It's got an "R" rating for one unnecessary scene of total female nudity. I'm sure they put that in to boost the rating in the hopes of getting the "adult" audience.

Serious tension doesn't set in 'til almost the half-way mark in the movie, and even then, don't expect "Alien" level tension. What the movie did do, for me, was to keep me thinking long after I had left the theater. When a movie can do that, make me think, not about cinematography, plot points or character development, but about life, the choices we make and our reactions to them, then I give it higher marks; in the case of Open Water, about a 7 out of 10.

Total and complete spoiler follows:

Spoiler:
              This film looked at how commonplace, ordinary and unheroic death usually is, with no Hollywoodian drama, no monsterous evil entities - not even the sharks - no last minute rescues, no witty repartee from the main characters. There wasn't even much "mood music" and what little music there was simply enhanced(IMO) the sense of the environment's indifference to the couple's plight.

Oh, and BTW, the film is not based on a true event, but on true events, in that, what happened to this couple happens all the time, in reality.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I havent seen it, but almost everybody I know that has seen it didnt like it.

Comment

After about twenty minutes in...you're rooting for the shark.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Does it have a "Phone Booth" feeling to it, in terms of isolation and urgency?

Comment

Originally posted by David
                      Does it have a "Phone Booth" feeling to it, in terms of isolation and urgency?
                      "Phone Booth" was awesome! It was suspenceful and unique. "Open Water" was just...
                      Spoiler:
                      a couple arguing with each other for an hour and being stupid (in my own opinion).
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                      X