"For NASA, space is still a high priority."
    ...George W. Bush, 9/5/93
    "[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."
    ...George W. Bush

First Lieutenant theStormWeaver's Avatar

Default Re: Other lost cities

Quote Originally Posted by bandras
    I think Halla as in the planet was the reference to Valhalla

I don't remember that planet. Please elaborate.

That was the planet where the human-form replicators developed, it's sun became a black hole

It might have been just Hala with 1 L
    ...George W. Bush

<snip>
    i apologize to anyone who witnessed the little verbal spat on here... unfortuantely, someone thought i was referring to them in my post, and also that i was posting like a... well i won't use that language here... i do not think i was posting harshly... i think i was merely pointing out, with emphasis, that olympus wasn't a city... so back to the topic at hand........ shangri'la...
    Last edited by Skydiver; August 28th, 2006 at 06:53 AM.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

First Lieutenant theStormWeaver's Avatar

touche

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPisano
    i'm thinking "the tower" was babylon... don't forget about heliopolis!

olympus was NOT a frickin city!!! it was the realm of the gods situated on top of a mountain... a very large mountain at that...

shangri'la would be the best bet for a new ancient city... it could be the center point of the ascended ancients, where they story their entire repository of knowledge (as shangri'la did have a very large and extensive library)... and sg-1 or daniel could wind up there and finally learn exactly why the ancients will not interfere...

olympus is... too mainstream mythology for stargate... the arthurian/merlin storyline is pushing the boundaries IMO... i'd prefer that they writers stick to the less mainstream mythologies, ones that are recognized, but not completely known (egyptian, norse, etc)

I know Olympos is not a city, so does everyone else. But if you want to go into this then search for Atlantis. It was originally an Island, or a continent, which sank. Shangri'la isn't a city either, it's a valley, more like a 'garden of Eden', so if I was wrong, then so were you. But I don't want to argue about that, so
    Sorry for not being exact in the original post. I'll change it.
    Once again, I don't want to argue with anyone, you were right, so I'll correct the 1st post.
    ...George W. Bush

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Everyone want to take a step back please. Maybe take a little break from the thread and come back in a bit when tempers are a bit calmer

I know Olympos is not a city, so does everyone else. But if you want to go into this then search for Atlantis. It was originally an Island, or a continent, which sank. Shangri'la isn't a city either, it's a valley, more like a 'garden of Eden', so if I was wrong, then so were you. But I don't want to argue about that, so
    Sorry for not being exact in the original post. I'll change it.
    Once again, I don't want to argue with anyone, you were right, so I'll correct the 1st post.
    valid points, however, atlantis is often referred to as the "lost city of atlantis" and shangri'la, while yes, it is a valley near the big mountain of karakal (sp?), but one could make the case for SL as a city, not in the urban sense, but in the sense that a small, secluded civilization thrives there... i'll fill in more info on SL when i'm done reading Lost Horizon

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by silence
    Knowing that Nox hide their flying ship, it would also make nice place to put Merlin's weap there...
    not really - they're too pacifist to use it, and they'd prevent SG1 from finding it if they're aware of it. in fact, they'd probably have destroyed it by now. not to mention the part where they won't want to show off any tech to SG1 either.

but... are there any lost cave systems? that would make sense - the least likely of places...

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPisano
    valid points, however, atlantis is often referred to as the "lost city of atlantis" and shangri'la, while yes, it is a valley near the big mountain of karakal (sp?), but one could make the case for SL as a city, not in the urban sense, but in the sense that a small, secluded civilization thrives there... i'll fill in more info on SL when i'm done reading Lost Horizon
    Right then I think we could have a deal on that Olympos could be refered as place where the greek gods live posible that it is the city of the gods
    In science fiction not everything has to be perfectly correct, and have a perfect connection to 'real' life. So Shangri'la, Olympos; neither of these is a city, but in SG-1 they COULD be.
    Deal?
    ...George W. Bush

What about Babylon? Thats a lost city and its in alot of mythology.
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Right then I think we could have a deal on that Olympos could be refered as place where the greek gods live posible that it is the city of the gods
    In science fiction not everything has to be perfectly correct, and have a perfect connection to 'real' life. So Shangri'la, Olympos; neither of these is a city, but in SG-1 they COULD be.
    Deal?
    i guess i just don't want to see any more greco-roman mythology brought into the fold

and to Billz... i think that "the tower" may have been a reference to bablyon, or specifically to the tower of babel which was in babylon... but with babylon you're getting into judaic mythology, something the writers probably want to avoid... but i agree, babylon should come into the fold, i'd much prefer that to greece and rome....

Quote Originally Posted by Billz
    I don't think that after an epy called Babylon, they'd introduce that actual city in any other context, however possible
    ...George W. Bush

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Billz
    Um.. Babylon wasent a city , it was a nation of city states, it came after the Summarian age ( and used some of its citys, and gods just the made a lesser god ( the son of the summmarian supreame deity) thier supreame deity ( Marduk) ...oh and they found most of those citys.... hell they even found a place that archologists belive might be Bable
    Have a thirst for galactic conquest??
    Join the Battle

http://uc1.GamesTotal.com/?tft=cf20

Babylon was a city..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon

... and it isn't lost.

Separate that from legends about "tower of Babylon"... thats something else.

In the SGC dont tell anyone im under the desk

actually... I believe that it was onecity per a planet, and that alll the ships left to pegasus at the same time..

also In the episode fallen
    Spoiler:
    if jonas quinn was right about the order of Ancient Cities, then that planets city should of been one of the City Ships, however.. It is not and its evidence is clear by the brick runes... Unless Atlantis is made of bricks, which i hopenot.
    I think there were atleast 2 from the Milkyway, Procrolush Toanas would of had one, and Earth had one. We've only seen two cityships made by ancients
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...289/stglw9.jpg

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Brigadier General FallenAngelII's Avatar

Olympos, Lemuria, El Dorado, Shangri-La, Xanadu...

Yes, they're all lost cities (EDIT: and places) from earth history and mythology. What stories you could imagine with these, or any other lost cities ( hasn't got to be ancient-related )

For example Olympos ( home of the greek gods ) could be an ancient city ship in the pre-historic Greece, an outpost of the ancients, 'cause who said, that Atlantis was their only city on Earth...
    Because the Ancients left the Milky Way 7 million or so years ago after using the Dakarra weapon to re-seed the galaxy. They came back 10,000 years ago too few to restart their society.

Most chose to live out their lives in solitude or to Ascend. I doubt a few 10 or so would've been able to re-build cityships.

Quote Originally Posted by theStormWeaver
    My theory on Olympus is that its actually the Summit Station. I believe it originally resided in Earth orbit, and when the rebellion took place it was moved.

Olympus is mearly described as the home of the gods, and that it was amongst the clouds. The Goa'uld dominated greek culture, and they severely lack the technology and motivation to create a floating city of any kind or size.

The Romans obsorbed the greek pantheon, they didn't create it. The Romans merged their gods with that of the Greeks. Jupiter was their supreme god, and so they merged it with Zeus. The Roman religion was seperate from, and almost as old as, the Greek religion until a few hundred years before Christ.
    It was all about quick and painless assimilation of the Greeks.

However, Valhalla is an idea. The Asgard possess the tech, resources, and benevolence(sp?)/motivation to build such a city. Although I don't think it would be a ship, it would probably be stationary, on another world, and without a gate. The Asgard would scoop up some particularly faithfull chap and whisk them away to live in a splendid paradise to seek enlightenment, or some such thing. Or perhaps it was used as rehab for former hosts of the goa'uld? Living with a snake in your head for a few hundred years would be very traumatising, if you could call it living.

You know that is what i was thinking ... You have a great idea ... There is 3 other Mythologies right there that could work for the 4 great Races ...

You have ATLANTIS , that the Ancients had A City of Knowledge and Advanced technology ...

Then there is VALHALLA with could be a LOST City Ship of the Asgards . The City could have been lost when the Asgards strated using there Cloning technology ... They do lose memorys of there past ... This City Ship could have been used by the Asgards to Protect the MWG after the Ancients left are galaxy ... could have been lost in there own galaxy ...

OLYMPUS could have been the City Ship of the Furlings ( We never got anuff info about then to not use Greek Mythology as there ) . The Furlings could have used the City Ship in some other galaxy far away , Greek Mythology uses Olympus as the City of GODS ... But no Human has ever seen this city ...

Noxs , im not really sure what there city would be called , but I think the City Ship they have on there Home world would be that City Ship ... Could have been in there own galaxy , but they might have had to leave there galaxy couse of something ( Under attack from some enemy , or there galaxy was last from some kind of technology that went wrong , or maybe there galaxy was destroyed ) what ever happened they would have fled to a galaxy that would keep them safe ...

Each City Ship would have been used in there OWN Galaxies , and would have been setup with a gate that could take take them to anyy galaxy they wanted too .. This also makes traveling between galaxies aot fast , and with an Alliance like they had , they could have used the cities for there Counsoles ...

Each CityShip would have there own Technology Powering the City and there own designs ... So not ever City would look the same , but would funtion almost the same .. Traveling Either by space or by STARGATE ...

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngelII
    Because the Ancients left the Milky Way 7 million or so years ago after using the Dakarra weapon to re-seed the galaxy. They came back 10,000 years ago too few to restart their society.

Most chose to live out their lives in solitude or to Ascend. I doubt a few 10 or so would've been able to re-build cityships.
    Yeah but how many CITY SHIPS would it have taken to make sure that ever Ancients got to the PG ?

Not jsut that what if the Ancients helped out the Asgards Noxs and Furlings to build there own City Ships for a faster Traveling system from One Galaxy to another ... Would have made there Alliance better in the long run ... Could be why the Noxs still have there City Ship ...

Quote Originally Posted by Metonic
    actually... I believe that it was onecity per a planet, and that alll the ships left to pegasus at the same time..

also In the episode fallen
    Spoiler:
    if jonas quinn was right about the order of Ancient Cities, then that planets city should of been one of the City Ships, however.. It is not and its evidence is clear by the brick runes... Unless Atlantis is made of bricks, which i hopenot.
    I think there were atleast 2 from the Milkyway, Procrolush Toanas would of had one, and Earth had one. We've only seen two cityships made by ancients
    well... Morgan La Fay said there were more Ancient cities in MW.
    If they were abendoned when they left for Pegasus, Merlin would prolly know where they are when he "descended" ... that's why i am hoping for "El Dorado"... golden version of Atlantis

on another note... if Ancients came to MW first, then they mad their cities here also, just like in Pegasus ("The Tower")... so there should be another city around... and since it prolly has it's own gate, there is no need for it to be on planet with gates.

But who knows.... we'll see...