This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See-thru event horizon.

in all stargate episodes we see people walk thru the blue puddle, in the first episode, Children of the gods, we see that the event horizon behing the stargate is actually see thru. I was wondering, what would happen if someone walked thru the wrong side of the gate, would they just emerge on the other side of the same gate or would they cease to exist????

Originally posted by SerpentGuard
    in all stargate episodes we see people walk thru the blue puddle, in the first episode, Children of the gods, we see that the event horizon behing the stargate is actually see thru. I was wondering, what would happen if someone walked thru the wrong side of the gate, would they just emerge on the other side of the same gate or would they cease to exist????
    I've often wondered that myself, but I guess no one is actually stupid enough to try it though. But I guess we'll never know for sure until someone in SG does it.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
      I've often wondered that myself, but I guess no one is actually stupid enough to try it though. But I guess we'll never know for sure until someone in SG does it.
      Well, they could always try throwing a ball or something through and work their way up to humans from there.
      I have often wondered about this myself and since Stargates are marvelous pieces of technology, I think one of two thing would happen. It either works perfectly, the same as stepping in on the front side, or you can walk right through. Don't think the Ancients would build something that would kill you if you just happened to approach it from the wrong side.
      *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

Maybe they figured that anyone smart enough to activate the gate would be smart enough to walk into from the side with the pretty lights

I think they'd be destroyed. I'm guessing that it might be interpreted as entering an incoming wormhole... It'd be cool if they made it clear though. Rodney or Sam could mention it in passing...
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I was going to go with the idea, that it would make a difference and that it would still allow you to travel through the wormhole the stargate creates, but I think *the Doctors* idea of an ancient fail safe is the best possibilty. Walking through the reverse end would do nothing and you would just pass through the event horizion, but you wouldnt go through the worm hole.

Comment

U might just bounce back... because as we've seen before the EH has sort of an elastic effect. So that MIGHT be the failsafe we've seen.

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

I think that it would probaly still work, what distinguishes (sp?) the front from the back. (Other then the stairs/ramp side). That would make it more difficult to navigate with Space gates. Also, only with the introduction of the Series is the back of the event horizon "flat". In the move, it had a swirling effect.

There was also another episode that I saw recently with a clear event horizon.

Spoiler:
              SGA - Trinity
              Save SG-1! Sign the Petition!
              http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

what about being pulled out of an event horzion your going in to

Comment

Well from that screen cap the light being reflected from behind and what basicly enables people to see objects is passing through the event horizon quite easily, if light can come through the oppisite side then what about ships and people without being harmed or sucked in the wormhole.

If it was the case that the oppiste side kills, then why is light even being allowed to pass through to give it an opaque look???
                  For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                    Well from that screen cap the light being reflected from behind and what basicly enables people to see objects is passing through the event horizon quite easily, if light can come through the oppisite side then what about ships and people without being harmed or sucked in the wormhole.

If it was the case that the oppiste side kills, then why is light even being allowed to pass through to give it an opaque look???
                    The Stargate isnt designed to transport light, it only transports solid objects.

Comment

My opinion is that they would be disintegrated. just as if they had walked through the event horison of an incoming wormhole

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar.
                        My opinion is that they would be disintegrated. just as if they had walked through the event horison of an incoming wormhole
                        Yes, but what distinguishes the front from the back of the Stargate (Especially Space Gates)

Comment

Originally posted by Aroura-Gate
                          what about being pulled out of an event horzion your going in to
                          Its possible. Happened to Ford in 38 minutes. All of his body but his hand were thru the event horizon and Rodney pulled him out.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by PSp2gamer
                            Yes, but what distinguishes the front from the back of the Stargate (Especially Space Gates)
                            - the chevrons are on the front
                            - the glyphs are on the front
                            - the *kawoosh* comes from the front

Comment

You can see through the stargate from the back when it is activated bc you are only looking through the "puddle" that dematerializes you and rematerializes you. As we have seen in the episode 48 Hours you can see through the gate when only the "puddle" is activated. Only when the stargate connects to another gate and you look at it from the front do you actually see what is called the "event horizon" bc that itself is the wormholes opening.

And so since you can only see the event horizon from the front you should only be able to walk into it from the front. Coming from behind you would pass straight through the "puddle" IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X