Vala Mal Doran Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vala Mal Doran Discussion

She, obviously in my opinion only, is ruining SG-1. Wait. Back up a minute.

The character of Vala is fine. But NOT as an every episode member of SG-1. She is taking what used to be a military run program and making it into a 3 ringed circus. She is allowed to do whatever she wants, when she wants it, and the writers seem hellbent on making it so she is always right.

She. Does. Not. Fit. In. SG-1. Period. She would serve much better as an outside ally in 5-7 episodes throughout the season. It needs to be Mitchell, Carter, Teal'c and Jackson. Period.

I liked her last year. But now, everytime I see her on screen, I cringe, because it doesn't feel like I am watching Stargate anymore.

In fact, it would have been better to leave her with the Ori, she could show up periodically, helping Earth from within the enemy. THAT I could handle.

Ah well. Not that it matters anyways. Sorry Vala lovers. Just a lowly SG fan's opinion, that's all.

Vala is the best thing that has happend in SG1 the last years.

Comment

I hated Vala...now I like her.

She adds an energy to the show that the show really needs.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by tristang

The character of Vala is fine. But NOT as an every episode member of SG-1. She is taking what used to be a military run program and making it into a 3 ringed circus. She is allowed to do whatever she wants, when she wants it, and the writers seem hellbent on making it so she is always right.

She. Does. Not. Fit. In. SG-1. Period. She would serve much better as an outside ally in 5-7 episodes throughout the season. It needs to be Mitchell, Carter, Teal'c and Jackson. Period.
        Yes, and Jonas deserved to be on SG-1 since he was an alien with no SG training. btw, her character helps take the slack off of episodes Jackson isn't in (due to Shanks spending time with his kid).

Comment

I was the most virulent anti-Vala person you could imagine but for the last two episodes I have eased off. I think they're finally toning her down from the over sexed sleazy flippant cartoonish character she was into something resembling a complete and relatively amiable person. I think Daniel brings out the worst in her character and in isolation she's much more tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by tristang

I liked her last year. But now, everytime I see her on screen, I cringe, because it doesn't feel like I am watching Stargate anymore.

In fact, it would have been better to leave her with the Ori, she could show up periodically, helping Earth from within the enemy. THAT I could handle.

Ah well. Not that it matters anyways. Sorry Vala lovers. Just a lowly SG fan's opinion, that's all.
            I agree... to an extent. I happen to enjoy having her on the show because it shows that TPTB are willing to let the show grow without really chaning the scope of it. I mean how much longer could we go with Jack Sam Dan and T? With it being a military themed show, having new personnel come in makes it more realistic albeit american personnel, not alien, but its scifi so i'll let it slide. what I am disappointed in, is how they've turned her into a child so quickly. i bouncing around like a kid who's hocked up on five of those giant pixie sticks with pigtails... in a military setting... is disturbing. when she first came into the series... she was eccentric but very......... capable... she was a rogue. now she's just a little kid. her maturity (there was some, not much, but there was) has vanished. the mindset she was in when she met daniel and fought with him, and then when she almost sacrificed herself to destroy the supergate is what i liked... i don't like the new vala....

i mean she seems to have completely forgotten that her child... her CHILD... is the most powerful being in the galaxy now not to mention her friends' mortal enemy.... she should be going insane with maternal grief, not off to clown school...

that's my 17 cents
            Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
            Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
            Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
            Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              Vala is the best thing that has happend in SG1 the last years.
              That's exactly what I think, too. I suppose the one thing which will happen in Memento Mori episode (the new, September issue of Dreamwatch magazine has an article celebrating Stargate SG-1's decade and this lovely spoiler is in the article) is gonna piss off a lot of Vala's antagonists completely...
              T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Even though she does add more humor to the show. I have been a little disappointed with how they've written for Vala so far in Season 10. I think the character needs more purpose for me to be truly satisfied with having her working for the SGC.

Still, it's early on in the season, and she might very well be able to serve a greater purpose. I think "Flesh and Blood" left that door open, where Vala could serve a significant purpose but also be humorous to some degree.
                "Counterstrike" might bring that feeling back to me, but we'll have to see.

I'm not ready to give up yet, but something has to change. I mean, did we really need to see Sam reacting to Vala putting her feet on the General's desk?

Comment

I'm not sure where I stand on Vala. I despised her in S9. I thought she was too cartoonish and full of cheap sexual innuendo. I was baffled to hear they were adding her to the credits as I didn't think a professional thief and a liar had much to contribute to the Stargate programme. However, since she's been promoted to a regular character, she's improved greatly (IMO), especially when she's not around Daniel. I find their banter annoying and their ship detrimental to her character. When she's interacting with others, though, especially Teal'c, I find her quite refreshing. I also think CB is a very good actress and I'm looking forward to her getting something more substantial to work with, preferably something to do with
                  Spoiler:
                  her greatly neglected motherhood. Her daughter is leading an army of crusaders. Let's see some emotion, for cryin' out loud.

Comment

i couldn't stand Vala on season9 and i thought that they could've written her better this year. at least she now more bearable but ,in a worse case than Mitchell, they writers can't figure out what to do her, i thought that after the ori stole(?) her child she could've stop being so childish and sort of take things more seriously they could've write her still with fun and a different edge than the other characters but since the beginning of this season i kept thinking "why is she even here?"

it doesn't make sense from any logic why the SGC forgot about untrusty aliens not being a potential threat and etc.

i don't mind if they add new characeters but at least make them good and not cliched caricatures. i think that the actress is pretty good but what can you do with crappy dresses?

i feel bad sometimes talking crap about people because is not their fault that fans don't like them sometimes, it comes sometimes from lack of thought of the writers.

Comment

I loved Vala when we first saw her, and I love her now.

Why: Because while some people can relate to Characters like Ford, Jackson(looking for someone - share) and...erm....who ever, I can relate to Vala.

I'm full of sexual induendos and..well, wearing clothes that show skin.. (im male btw!) but it doesnt mean im not sex obsessed. Just because this is all weve seen of her, doesnt mean there isnt more to her: Give her time.
                      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Vala seems to be a lame attempt at comic relief, which isn't to bad except it's all she ever does. At least when Jack said something funny there was a subtleness to it, but vala just comes at you like a sledge hammer trying to be funny. I don't think she should have been brought on as a full character for the season and would have gladly accepted her death without a problem because she doesn't seem to fit in with the series in general.

I have no problem with her being in the show, but i'd prefer her to be a bit more serious and more Aeryn like, have her more serious and cut down on the stupid lets have sex comments. If they change her to be less comedic and more serious then I think she could fit in but if she's just going to act stupid then what is the point?

sigpic

Comment

I didn't like Vala at first, now I like her more than Sam.

Comment

I love Vala!
                            I really enjoy the interactions between her and the rest of the team. It really adds that spark that is needed. GREAT character interactions.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I think that the writers know that the fans miss our precious O'Neill and are trying to rebuild some aspects of his personality in both Vala and Mitchell - The Farscape twins, lol.

They are the new additions to the team, and if RDA had never left then I beleive that these two characters would've never been made major characters.

In answer to your rant, I like Vala and her character, and Mitchell is also a nice character.

I can't seem to get enough of the chemistry between Vala and Daniel everytime they have a disagreement - which is ALL the time, lol.
                              Spoiler:
                              '200' sees the return of O'Neill also, so that is something I can't wait for - yayy!

I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                              X