Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stands to reason that cityship hyperdrives are slower duh
    A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Pegasus orbits Andromeda.

Comment

Do we have any proof that they were in a hurry, why always go full speed if they dont think that Atlantis is a match for them anyway.

Also, remember this is a CITY, not a Yo-Yo . Even though there are 3-ZPM's powering it, remember that you have a Shield and a MASSIVE hyperspace window. Im sure the power requirements are easily met, but read the point above.
        Save SG-1! Sign the Petition!
        http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
          That is something that ABSOLUTELY pisses me off all the time. How the writers change the laws of physics of the show just to suite story line needs. I am TIRED of that. Why cant they be consistent with the technology of stargate. Hyperspace travel is just one of many.

And as for a map we already have it. Milky way and peguses are about 3.5 million light years apart. And peguses is a dwarf galaxy which means that it is ALOT smaller than the milkyway. Ida is most likely one of the small galaxies that are in orbit around our own.
          The thing is there seems to be some debate over whether the galaxies are in the same position in the stargate universe as it is in real life. I think that is one of the primary points of contention when hyperspace speeds are trying to be calculated.

Comment

Actually, the Asuran planet is in a different part of the galaxy from Atlantis, this is mentioned in the episode.

From Weir and Sheppard's comments I'd go as far as to say they are on the other side of Pegasus, and if not, near the center, which would imply a complicated hyperspace route.

And yes, it's also a City, but nonetheless, I'd say Lantian Hyperdrives are probably the fastest.

Comment

It wouldn't take long for Atlantis to return to Earth because they had 3 ZPMs, and from what we learnt in the siege it decreases the travel time. The reason why the Ancients left Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy is because it could effect the timeline. (Dr weir from the future, Before I sleep)

Comment

maby good point
                Originally posted by cowpants
                ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
                Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                Rosilin for pres

Comment

Originally posted by nerus View Post
                  It wouldn't take long for Atlantis to return to Earth because they had 3 ZPMs, and from what we learnt in the siege it decreases the travel time. The reason why the Ancients left Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy is because it could effect the timeline. (Dr weir from the future, Before I sleep)
                  I doubt that is the reason. many Expected that they would come back. They wanted to bring weir with them to earth to live out the rest of her life and thus leave the timeline intact. So why not bring the city? It Probably stands to reason that launching a city ship straight into an armada that is probably at least 100 strong hive ships wise would be suicidal.

"Their victims knew no peace until the Ori came and whispered to them"Sleep for the end draws near"and on that day all will rejoice when the Ori come and lay them low. "

Comment

i dont see why they didnt biuld some load more drones and destroy them all on orbit and once it was clear fly into orbit and to earth
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PSp2gamer View Post
                      Do we have any proof that they were in a hurry, why always go full speed if they dont think that Atlantis is a match for them anyway.

Also, remember this is a CITY, not a Yo-Yo . Even though there are 3-ZPM's powering it, remember that you have a Shield and a MASSIVE hyperspace window. Im sure the power requirements are easily met, but read the point above.

Mate look back at the episode where O'Neill sends the marines to help Weir protect Atlantis at all costs until Caldwell arrives. If you watch closely you will see that Everett or what's his name says that Caldwell will be orbiting the planet in 4 days. He says a ZPM powers the asgard intergalactic hyper drive. It is well known that the ancient FTL drive is the refference point in the SG saga when it comes to efficiency,speed, and design. Power the stardrive with 3 ZPMs in parallel and you get to Earth faster than Caldwell did with the Asgard Drive; powered by a ZPM of course. Sure, shields, hyper space window, yadda,yadda. Remember 3ZPMs in parallel and not in series will yield more than enough energy to fly to earth in a short period of time.

Had the lantians needed more ZPMs in order to use the city at it's full capacity, they would have added the extra slots for additional ZPMs. As you can clearly see, 3 do more than enough.

Comment

In real life, there are several dwarf galaxies within 50 thousand light years of earth, while the farthest reaches of our own galaxy are more than twice that distance. Just becase Ida is a different galaxy, doesn't mean its all that far away. This easilly explains the travel times between Earth and Ida, Pegasus or other parts of the Milky Way.

Comment

I'm no expert but size even the design of Atlantis could be a factor in the speed it travels at.
                          sigpic
                          "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                          Signature made by RJB

Comment

The shape of Atlantis has nothing to do with how it travels in space.

It's size does, however. It has an enormous mass, so maneuvering would be a real pain in the back side due to inertia. Also, the power required to send it through hyperspace would require. . . well. . . . we all know how much power it would require.

Comment

I was thinking more structually than anything (I should've been more clear)
                              sigpic
                              "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                              Signature made by RJB

Comment

inertia does not really mean anything anymore in Stargate they have inertia dampeners.Ours work as what 90% or more the ancients probably work at 100% efficiency, which inertia would not effect the performance of Atlantis.

Comment

Working...
                                X