Page 1 of 7 1 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

Spoiler:
    Seeing that the Asuran city-ship departed Asuras and Weir & company had time to come up with a plan and implement it before it reached Atlantis makes me wonder just how fast the city-ship hyperspace drives are. It must have taken hours to pull that reprogramming off for Rodney. For some reason I think the reason the ancients didn't just take Atlantis back to earth is that their hyperdrive engines aren't fast enough to distance themselves from the wraith and thus would have led the wraith directly to Earth and the rest of the MW galaxy.
    Just a thought.

Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

Well. . .

Spoiler:
    We don't know how far away Asura is from Atlantis.

But speeds in Stargate have been frelled with so much that it's hard to say. An Asgard ship can travel from their home galaxy to Earth in minutes, but take a week to reach Pegasus.

It's a real mindfrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bragi
    Well. . .

Spoiler:

But speeds in Stargate have been frelled with so much that it's hard to say. An Asgard ship can travel from their home galaxy to Earth in minutes, but take a week to reach Pegasus.

It's a real mindfrell.
    Indeed, the writers need to decide on speeds and not change them according to storyneeds, instead change the locations if anything is to be changed.

Or explain why it might take longer.

Like, they couldn't go at full speed because of. . . I dunno. . . someone was cooking a turkey for some fresh sandwiches while they were in hyperspace, and it was draining power from the engines.

Staff Sergeant

Well. . .

Spoiler:

It's a real mindfrell.
    We don't know it took a week to get to Pegasus with that, all we have is some vague comment from Wier about cutting down a couple of weeks of travel time, which is roughly two weeks via Deadalus. It may have been anything from 4 days to 4 minutes travel. It would have been helpful for all the 'Asgard hyperdrives aren't that great' crowd if she said "With their help, we'll be there in a week.", but she didn't.

Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by verbalkint
    Spoiler:
    Seeing that the Asuran city-ship departed Asuras and Weir & company had time to come up with a plan and implement it before it reached Atlantis makes me wonder just how fast the city-ship hyperspace drives are. It must have taken hours to pull that reprogramming off for Rodney. For some reason I think the reason the ancients didn't just take Atlantis back to earth is that their hyperdrive engines aren't fast enough to distance themselves from the wraith and thus would have led the wraith directly to Earth and the rest of the MW galaxy.
    Just a thought.
    Unlikely. The lantian databank had all the necessary juicy info to produce intergalactic hyperdrives, which were far superior to wraith hyperdrives.

Chief Master Sergeant

maybe the asurans were taking their time cos they werent in a hurry. thats something that was mentioned a few times bout the replicators they didnt really care about time.

Just for the record the Asgard did not move from their galaxy to ours in 4 seconds, they moved form Earth to the void between galaxies ... a much shorter trip.

You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Chief Master Sergeant

we also dont know the distances travelled, may be to get from earth to pegasus we need to go all the way accross the mw and further i n the void then travel a fair distance in pegasus to get to atlantis, but to get to ida its like crossing the street, short trip to the void, shorter trip in the void than to pegasus. we havent been given an intergalactic map of the SG universe afterall.

Probie

Remember that the Asgard are so quick because their ships generate way more power then Earth ships. The Deadalus did the trip from Earth to Atlantis super quick when it had the ZPM powering it.
    So that means i think:
    More power = Fast hyperdrives

Second Lieutenant AsgardCarnage's Avatar

i'd still love to see a map, of the relationship between the galaxies. ida MW and pegasus. that would be nice. and as many people have said before it would be great if the writters would get their cannon together and stick to it. Restricting the physical laws in the SG universe will bread better writting i think it might stop them from being so lazy

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by AsgardCarnage
    i'd still love to see a map, of the relationship between the galaxies. ida MW and pegasus. that would be nice. and as many people have said before it would be great if the writters would get their cannon together and stick to it. Restricting the physical laws in the SG universe will bread better writting i think it might stop them from being so lazy
    That would be sweet if they did provide the audience with a map so that we could actually put distances between galaxies and planets into cannon. Come on TPTB, its been 10 years and we don't even have that yet, pick up the pace.

Chief Master Sergeant

maybe the asurans didnt fully power up the stardrive to allow more power to destrot atlantis when they got there, or maybe its because the hyperdrive is of 10,000 year old design

That is something that ABSOLUTELY pisses me off all the time. How the writers change the laws of physics of the show just to suite story line needs. I am TIRED of that. Why cant they be consistent with the technology of stargate. Hyperspace travel is just one of many.

And as for a map we already have it. Milky way and peguses are about 3.5 million light years apart. And peguses is a dwarf galaxy which means that it is ALOT smaller than the milkyway. Ida is most likely one of the small galaxies that are in orbit around our own.

In the SGC dont tell anyone im under the desk

Well. . .

Spoiler:

It's a real mindfrell.
    maybe the asgard have to go thru our galaxy to get to pegasus. remember Pegasus is suppose to be like orbiting the MW(i think) so the location is changing so the speeds may as well...

I'd say tho that tehy were o nthat ship for abotu 30 minutes or so... lol...Rodneys a genius he has an entire hour going on in his head for every second we have in ours. lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...289/stglw9.jpg

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Vis Uban, Central Valley, California, Earth, Sol

stands to reason that cityship hyperdrives are slower duh
    A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Pegasus orbits Andromeda.

Chief Master Sergeant PSp2gamer's Avatar

Do we have any proof that they were in a hurry, why always go full speed if they dont think that Atlantis is a match for them anyway.

Also, remember this is a CITY, not a Yo-Yo . Even though there are 3-ZPM's powering it, remember that you have a Shield and a MASSIVE hyperspace window. Im sure the power requirements are easily met, but read the point above.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Pasankoon
    That is something that ABSOLUTELY pisses me off all the time. How the writers change the laws of physics of the show just to suite story line needs. I am TIRED of that. Why cant they be consistent with the technology of stargate. Hyperspace travel is just one of many.

And as for a map we already have it. Milky way and peguses are about 3.5 million light years apart. And peguses is a dwarf galaxy which means that it is ALOT smaller than the milkyway. Ida is most likely one of the small galaxies that are in orbit around our own.
    The thing is there seems to be some debate over whether the galaxies are in the same position in the stargate universe as it is in real life. I think that is one of the primary points of contention when hyperspace speeds are trying to be calculated.

Actually, the Asuran planet is in a different part of the galaxy from Atlantis, this is mentioned in the episode.

From Weir and Sheppard's comments I'd go as far as to say they are on the other side of Pegasus, and if not, near the center, which would imply a complicated hyperspace route.

And yes, it's also a City, but nonetheless, I'd say Lantian Hyperdrives are probably the fastest.