This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery of the Flying Cities

I've noticed that the Ancients, The Asurans, and the Nox had their own Flying Cities, right? It makes one wonder about the Asgard, if they did truly share a trade relationship with the other races in the ancient alliance - Why haven't they created their own flying city, and if they have - where is it?

If they had no particular reason to build one, why didn't they just keep up with the trend as the other races appeared to - well, the Furlings...we haven't seen much of those guys but...Anyway.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

We can build flying houses, shops, factories, hospitals, and airstips, we can also build floating docks, but we don't build them because they are a waste of our resources.
    Why design a pen that work in space, but costs hundreds of millions of dolars, when you can use a pencil?
    Why use concorde when you can use a 747 for a fraction of the price?
    Why make houses earthquake proof in an area that doesn't have earthquakes?

Comment

I think the sole reason why the Ancients built Atlantis and other city ships was to enable them to find a safe harbor away from the plague in the Milky Way. These ships can accommodate a large population, making it more efficient for full-scale evacuation.

And the Asgard had no need for building ships like that 'cause they were not affected by the plague. Plus their ships are big enough anyway.
      "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
        I've noticed that the Ancients, The Asurans, and the Nox had their own Flying Cities, right? It makes one wonder about the Asgard, if they did truly share a trade relationship with the other races in the ancient alliance - Why haven't they created their own flying city, and if they have - where is it?

If they had no particular reason to build one, why didn't they just keep up with the trend as the other races appeared to - well, the Furlings...we haven't seen much of those guys but...Anyway.
        They probably had one at one point but it was probably assimilated by the replicators.

Comment

For all we know, they could. I always thought that Jack O'Neill class vessels were the size of City ships?
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

My guess is that out of the five great races the Asgard may have been one of the youngest. Considering they still find humans worth study while the ancients, Nox and Firlings want nothing to do with us shows the Asgard are not as far along/arrogant as the rest.

That might also explain why the Asgard do not have city sized spaceships, but we don't really know do we?
            Even a broken watch is right twice a day

Comment

If they HAD a flying city, or cities, they don't anymore. It would have been repli-chow long ago.

Comment

I'm sure they could have a city ship if they wanted one but I don't see why they'd need one. Ancients had them because they travelled alot, the nox wanted to remain hidden but the Asgard aren't nomadic, they stick where they are.

Comment

The Asgard probably aren't stupid enough to put all their eggs in one basket. If the Asurans had 10 ships instead of a flying city, they would have been able to destroy Atlantis. However, we've only gotten a brief glimpse of two Asgard cities. There's the one on the Asgard homeworld:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s4/401/html/378.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s4/401/html/377.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s4/401/html/408.html

and the one on their new homeworld:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s8/8...er2%5F255.html

Comment

I find it amazing that the Asgard can build ships in the first place. Oh and only two races have built flying cities: The Nox city isn't a flying city, it's floating city. The Asurans don't count as another race because they built Ancient tech. So, it balances out. The furlings and Asgard had cities on the ground while the ancients and Nox had cities that could fly.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I am sure the Asgard have the ability to but, if I recall, they were rebuilding and still had alot of their people stored in the mainframes (mind storage?!?). So taking care of that and their genetic problems is probably their number one priority.
                      "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                      The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

The Asgard don't really need a ship that can hold millions of Asgard, do they? There aren't very many of them in the first place... There are few enough of them that most of the ships we've seen are piloted by only one Asgard. If they decided to pack up and leave, like we saw them do when their homeworld was overrun by replicators, they didn't use a city ship... They just got in their individual ships and went to the void between the two galaxies. No need that we know of...

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou

they dont need it
                          I am a Colonel in the great colilition
                          http://www.stargatechat.zoomshare.com/
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAu-...earch=Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Elles
                            The Asgard don't really need a ship that can hold millions of Asgard, do they? There aren't very many of them in the first place... There are few enough of them that most of the ships we've seen are piloted by only one Asgard. If they decided to pack up and leave, like we saw them do when their homeworld was overrun by replicators, they didn't use a city ship... They just got in their individual ships and went to the void between the two galaxies. No need that we know of...
                            When the Asgards fled from the Replicators, they stored their minds inside computers. Once they got to their new homeworld, they started cloning new bodies for their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSG-3
                              they dont need it
                              Did the Nox need theirs? they could've just set up home in the forest if they were so at one with nature.
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                              X