Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is quantum entanglement an aspect of subspace in science fiction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is quantum entanglement an aspect of subspace in science fiction?

Know how they are always saying that subspace transmits their communications instantly anywhere in the pegasus galaxy? Is it supposed to be by quantum entanglement?

Originally posted by principia
    Know how they are always saying that subspace transmits their communications instantly anywhere in the pegasus galaxy? Is it supposed to be by quantum entanglement?
    No it is supposed to be transmissions through subspace, since subsapce have different laws of phsyics communication travel faster there. Therefore they use subspace comms instead of normal comms.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK
      No it is supposed to be transmissions through subspace, since subsapce have different laws of phsyics communication travel faster there. Therefore they use subspace comms instead of normal comms.

but quantum entanglement transmits information instantaneously thru space from one point to another so isn't that what they're referring to when they mention subspace?

Comment

but quantum entanglement transmits information instantaneously thru space from one point to another so isn't that what they're referring to when they mention subspace?
        Nope, you can't use quantum entanglement to transmit information faster than light. Quantum entanglement lets two observers see the same event simultaneously, not communicate

Quantum entanglement
        No communication theorem

Comment

maybe I'm denser than a black hole but couldn't observing events simultaneously be used to fashion a communication schema?

Comment

maybe I'm denser than a black hole but couldn't observing events simultaneously be used to fashion a communication schema?
            No. Here's an analogy:

Imagine I take two tokens, one red and one blue, and I put each one in a box. I then shuffle the boxes and give one box to you and keep the other fro myself. We then travel far away from each other. Now, imagine I open my box, and I see a red token. Now, I know that your box contains a blue token, and so the superposition of your box collapses because of something I did far away. By the very act of me measuring my token I can change what you will measure in your box - if I measure red you will measure blue and vice versa. That is what quantum entanglement is about.

Comment

ok, a green for you

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                No. Here's an analogy:

Imagine I take two tokens, one red and one blue, and I put each one in a box. I then shuffle the boxes and give one box to you and keep the other fro myself. We then travel far away from each other. Now, imagine I open my box, and I see a red token. Now, I know that your box contains a blue token, and so the superposition of your box collapses because of something I did far away. By the very act of me measuring my token I can change what you will measure in your box - if I measure red you will measure blue and vice versa. That is what quantum entanglement is about.
                So. . . is my cat dead, or alive?

Comment

its dead. thats what forcefeeding C4 to it then detonating it does to cats.

Comment

NEDM could make me forcefeed C4 to a cat, then blow it up. It's just wrong.

/edit-

Also.
                    Last edited by Bragi; 13 August 2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

whats "nedm" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                        No. Here's an analogy:

Nice

I'm sure in 50 years or so we'll either discover a form of sub-space or find a way to use this property to transmit messages.

FTL messaging is essential if we want to go further than, say, Mars.
                        Son, do you know what colour this phone is?
                        - General Hammond

Comment

Quantum uncertainty explained.

And everytime I see someone write out "FTL" I instantly thing "for teh lose."

Comment

Working...
                          X