Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transform the Hiveships, Not the Wraith!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transform the Hiveships, Not the Wraith!

It has been mentioned a few times on the show that the Hive Ships are organic. Are they somehow alive as well? If so, how about if Beckett and company , instead of inventing gases and injections and retroviruses that turn Wraith into Humans, invent something that will transform the hiveships into another species. It would be great if they could change them into one of those whale things that saved McKay that time, and even better if they could transform them into something that eats Wraith. What do you think?
    Last edited by Liam Kincaid; 06 August 2006, 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling

It doesn't work like that, you can't just turn one species into another. The reason Beckett can turn wraith into humans is because they already have a lot of human DNA, all the retro virus does is supress the Wraith DNA leaving only human...

Comment

Heh, would be pretty funny. A bit like in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

All of a sudden hive ships start turning into whales, camels, and other various wildlife
      An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
        It doesn't work like that, you can't just turn one species into another. The reason Beckett can turn wraith into humans is because they already have a lot of human DNA, all the retro virus does is supress the Wraith DNA leaving only human...

I know, I know, but where did the Hive Ships come from originally? Maybe the Wraith engineered them out of something else? In fact, they must have. How would a living space ship occur in nature? The Wraith must have changed something else , and maybe our team can find a way to change them back. I just had another idea. It is close but different. I am going to start a new thread. The Mods may or may not end up merging it with this one.

Comment

Maybe the iratus bugs used to grow some sort of hives for themselves, and it just developed into what it is today as they incorporated human DNA into themselves...

Comment

Well, the organic parts of the ship are probably the product of genetic engineering. But unless they were created in much the same way the Wraith evolved, a retrovirus wouldn't work.

And even if you could get it to work, there's the problem of getting it in the cells of the ship.
            *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid
              It has been mentioned a few times on the show that the Hive Ships are organic. Are they somehow alive as well? If so, how about if Beckett and company , instead of inventing gases and injections and retroviruses that turn Wraith into Humans, invent something that will transform the hiveships into another species. It would be great if they could change them into one of those whale things that saved McKay that time, and even better if they could transform them into something that eats Wraith. What do you think?
              Just because something is "organic" does not mean it is alive. There are organic compounds but they are not alive. To be alive, the "organism" in question must have cell membranes or cell walls, carbohydrates, proteins and nucleic acids as well as produce energy molecules such as ATP.

Best Stargate quote:
              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
              Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                To be alive, the "organism" in question must have cell membranes or cell walls, carbohydrates, proteins and nucleic acids as well as produce energy molecules such as ATP.

Not in the Stargate Universe.

Comment

That would be funny, they should turn the Hiveship into the Living ships from Farscape (I can't remember what they are called).
                  sigpic

Comment

leviathins

Comment

I don't think they can transform the hive ships. But what if they find a weakness in the hive ships. Like a biological weapon which can destroy the ship at the subatomic level.
                      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

What if the Hiveships are really Ancient BattleShips that where turnned or transformer in to these Hiveships .... Kind of like how the Borg from star trek did it to Ships in that show ....

Comment

What if the Hiveships are really Ancient BattleShips that where turnned or transformer in to these Hiveships .... Kind of like how the Borg from star trek did it to Ships in that show ....

Comment

just caus something is organic doesn't mean it's alive it like saying a house with wood furnishing is alive
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                              just caus something is organic doesn't mean it's alive it like saying a house with wood furnishing is alive

Spoilers for Allies

Yes that's true. In English , organic does not mean alive. But it the context that McKay used the term when talking to the Wraith about Hiveships, it does seem to mean alive. Or at least more so than you are implying. I don't have the exact quotes in front of me, but the exchange went something like this:

McKay: "I thought the composition of your ships was organic ?"

Wraith: " Yes, it does make some repairs more effortless. but it has its limitations. "

I know I didn't get it exact ( maybe someone could post a more accurate version ?) , but it was something close to that. Why would "wood furnishings" be easier to repair that steel or stone? The strong implication here was that the Hiveships, or at least parts of them, are self-regenerating. That implies life, not just hydrocarbons! Or at least an imitation of life. Either the Wraith found a way to create organic based non-living structures that still have some sort of life-like regenerative abilities , which I allow is possible, or else, the found a way to hijack another species, and turn it into a useful machine ( kind of like the Taelons did to the Skrill). I think it would we very cool if it ended up being the second of the two. It seems to me more in keeping with the character of the Wraith. The Wraith are very smart, but "non-living , self-regenerating , organic structures" seems a little bit to airy-fairy for their attitude. Hijacking another species and forcing it to be useful to them would be much more their style. And if that is what they did do, I think it would be wonderful if McKay and Beckett could find a way to undo it.
                              Last edited by Liam Kincaid; 08 August 2006, 12:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X