Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transform the Hiveships, Not the Wraith!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah id like to see Becket invent a disease that kills wraith ships and over the course of the episode we see the wraith ship slowly root away, im still curious about what the weakness in wraith technology that the ancients found (209 AURORA).

Comment

Good idea, but I have a feeling the writers may take this the wrong way. They would probably turn the Hiveship into a female that is attracted to the Daedalus and try to make a love story out of it.

Comment

one word.....

Nanites

Figure out how to program the little buggers to eat hive ships and there u go.

u know im right
        Spoiler:
        even the Ancients had the same idea, resulting in the Asurans
        Last edited by Bacardi; 15 August 2006, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid
          Spoilers for Allies

Yes that's true. In English , organic does not mean alive. But it the context that McKay used the term when talking to the Wraith about Hiveships, it does seem to mean alive. Or at least more so than you are implying. I don't have the exact quotes in front of me, but the exchange went something like this:

McKay: "I thought the composition of your ships was organic ?"

Wraith: " Yes, it does make some repairs more effortless. but it has its limitations. "

I know I didn't get it exact ( maybe someone could post a more accurate version ?) , but it was something close to that. Why would "wood furnishings" be easier to repair that steel or stone? The strong implication here was that the Hiveships, or at least parts of them, are self-regenerating. That implies life, not just hydrocarbons! Or at least an imitation of life. Either the Wraith found a way to create organic based non-living structures that still have some sort of life-like regenerative abilities , which I allow is possible, or else, the found a way to hijack another species, and turn it into a useful machine ( kind of like the Taelons did to the Skrill). I think it would we very cool if it ended up being the second of the two. It seems to me more in keeping with the character of the Wraith. The Wraith are very smart, but "non-living , self-regenerating , organic structures" seems a little bit to airy-fairy for their attitude. Hijacking another species and forcing it to be useful to them would be much more their style. And if that is what they did do, I think it would be wonderful if McKay and Beckett could find a way to undo it.

erm i think the quote was more like this

mckay" the organic base of your technology is incredible....very resiliant"

Wraith scientist" yes most problems eventually fix themselves etc..."

your points are interesting but i disagree the hiveships are not alive they use organic compotents designed to regenerate damage, the whole hive is not organic it looks as through organic compotents are simply grown over a metalic base the wraith are obiviously very good bio engineers able to synthasise organic regerative compounds but unless they cut out bits of this life form and strapped a bunch of guns, hyperdrive and built a dart bay i don't think the hives are alive or have any sentience...

The wraith as i see them are the appex of bio engineered tech the ancients the appex of conventional tech
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304
            That would be funny, they should turn the Hiveship into the Living ships from Farscape (I can't remember what they are called).
            Yeah and complete with a pissed off Pilot who would be more than happy to eject them into space.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid
              It has been mentioned a few times on the show that the Hive Ships are organic. Are they somehow alive as well? If so, how about if Beckett and company , instead of inventing gases and injections and retroviruses that turn Wraith into Humans, invent something that will transform the hiveships into another species. It would be great if they could change them into one of those whale things that saved McKay that time, and even better if they could transform them into something that eats Wraith. What do you think?
              Like turning a Hive Ship into a cute little puppy dog.

How about releasing a gas that effects its systems and making them shut down.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I think the Hiveships are indeed living, just not intelligent. I think of them as alive in the sense that a simple plant is. The ship "feeds" off its power source, and converts that energy into regenerative operations, healing itself. If indeed they do work like this, the only thing the ships would ever really need is a powersource, as repair and basic maintainance is all handled by the ships biofunctions.

My guess as to how wraith ship building works is this:

The Wraith construct the vessel's basic skelton out of conventional materials, the same way any other species does. They add the basic framework of rooms, main structural bulkheads and engine housings. The Wraith bioengineers then "seed" the vessel's skeleton, slowly growing (for lack of a better word) and filling out the skeleton they laid out until the new ship is ready for final fitting out. During the final phase, they add the advanced systems such as engines and weapons. They then slap their new ship on the rear, take it out for a test drive, and if it doesn't explode and kill everyone they have a brand new Wraithmobile.
                Last edited by Tain; 08 August 2006, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Hive would of changed in some wya with the vaccine and it didnt...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Working...
                  X