This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goa'uld Space Battles

How can the tell who's ship is who's in Goa'uld space battles?

For Reckoning [spoilersold]There must have been thousands of ships and they were all the same, how did they know which one to shoot? Yes the old spoiler tags are annoying[/spoilersold]
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

i think each ship has a bacon or a certain signature reveling who the ship belongs to
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

simple: the one getting destroyed is not ours...

i hope
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
        i think each ship has a bacon or a certain signature reveling who the ship belongs to
        Why not eggs?

Comment

mmm.... bacon
          MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
          Spoiler:
          Snape kills Dumbledore
          Spoiler:
          Darth Vader is Luke's Father
          Spoiler:
          Rosebud is a sled
          Spoiler:
          Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
          Spoiler:
          The planet of the apes is actually Earth
          Spoiler:
          The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
          Spoiler:
          Clark Kent is Superman
          Spoiler:
          What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

Magnets.

Comment

lol i didnt realise he wrote bacon and i read the next post "why not eggs" and i was more lost than ever!

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever
              to the blinder critics and philosophisers of today, but the core of science fiction,
              its essence has become crutial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

well considering how pathetic goa'uld battle tactics are they probably just point and shoot any old ship

Comment

who cares they look great !!!
                  sigpic

Comment

How would earth ships tell each other apart when there are 3 or 4 304's in a single battle?????

I assume each ship is continuosly transmitting somesort of identification code that will be recognised by its alllies and not by its enemies
                    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper
                      How would earth ships tell each other apart when there are 3 or 4 304's in a single battle?????

I assume each ship is continuosly transmitting somesort of identification code that will be recognised by its alllies and not by its enemies
                      Well, I know that in the inside, the transparent grid thing in the background all have different colors:
                      -the clear thing in the background has a purple glow on the Korelev ( this pic is probably just a production still)-

so I'm sure there's a way.
                      Last edited by Cameron Mitchel; 03 August 2006, 10:20 AM.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper

the prometheus was a 303... and i believe the Daedalus and subsequent ships are 304's, correct?

the f-301's, and f-302's operate like standard air force and naval aircraft where the pilot identifies the plane and him/her self by the his callsign (ie, This is Maverick... or This is Iceman (love Top Gun))... when you get into the larger 303's you're talking on the level of Naval warships, not aircraft.

the 303's and 304's (Prometheus, Daedalus, Odyssey, and Korolev) have designators, or should, based on what type of ship they are...

Naval ships are designated things like CVN-76, SSBN-22, BB-03, DDG-89, LSD-9
                        those 2-3 letters are what type of ship they are and the numbers are assigned based on the order in which they are produced, so the first BB would be BB-01 and he 78'th CVN would be CVN-78.
                        CVN = Carrier Vessel Nuclear
                        SSBN = Ballistic Nuclear Submarine (or SubSurface Ballistic Nuclear)
                        BB = Battleship
                        DDG = Guided Missile Destroyer
                        LSD = (really tastes good ) Landing Ships Dock

Together, the 2-4 letter prefix plus the 2 digit number make up the ships Hull Number.

Naval ships usually identify themselves as such... like "This is CVN-75) etc... (can't get into any more details bc its classified )

let's look at the 303's and 304's...

the Prometheus was the first 303... it is a Battlecruiser, and the first one... so technically it would be known as
                        BC-1

The Daedalus, Odyssey, and Korolev are the 304s, and they are Deep Space Carriers, so they'd be
                        Daedalus - DSC-1
                        Odyssey - DSC-2
                        Korolev - DSC-3

so while the smaller aircraft, 301, 302 would identify themselves by the pilot's callsign, the massive spaceships, 303s and 304s would identify themselves by their hull numbers assuming they were named as such following Naval ship classification systems...

As far as communicating to each other during a battle... i'm familiar with it, but i don't understand it enough in a clear way that would make sense to anyone reading my random thoughts, so when i get it straightened out, i'll come back and post it
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

The 304 thing is pointless... the original idea of the post was since Goa'uld Ha'Taks were fighting other Ha'Taks, how did they know what side each Ha'Tak was on in the battle. 304s wouldn't be fighting each other and I'm sure they use some sort of RFID between ships just in case there was any question.

Besides, a battle between two DSC-304s would NEVER END. They'd expend all their railgun ammo chipping away at each other's Asgard shields but never getting close to breaching them. The nukes would be ineffective against the Asgard shields. Basically, it'd be MAD for the fighters and then two ammo-less 304s standing bow to bow.

Comment

Considering how advanced Goa'uld starship technology was (even if it was scavenged off other races, the Ancients in particular), it's more than likely that they'd have developed some sort of friend-or-foe recognition system a really long time back to tell if a Ha'tak was on their side or not. Otherwise, they'd just as likely have been shooting at their own forces during the skirmishes between rival System Lords. Also, I'd assume that Baal's forces would've immediately considered any Ha'taks that were firing upon them to have been compromised by the Replicators, they couldn't take any chances considering what was at stake.

Still, I doubt there were thousands of Ha'taks during that battle over Dakara. It looked to me as though Baal's remaining forces numbered perhaps 40-50 Ha'taks, which was still a really impressive fleet all things considered as most of his armada had already been subjugated by the Replicators (makes me wonder how many he had to start with). The Replicators probably sent an equal number or perhaps twice as many vessels to engage Baal's fleet, as the rest of the Replicator-controlled ships were still busy overrunning the rest of the galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                            X