This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSG's Jamie Bamber's Out Magazine Article

I was surprised to hear about it...so I looked into it on the net. Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama) seems to be all for it!

Bamber champions the prospect: “There’s no reason, in a world that is gender-blind, on the Battlestars and across this fleet, that we haven’t had an overtly gay relationship come to fruition. It should be there, and it should be as unabashedly honest as the heterosexual relationships.”
    I also thought this was interesting...

Jamie Bamber’s character, who begins the season married and 30 pounds heavier (thanks to prosthetic makeup), will no doubt return to his fighting form in no time. But Eick issues a warning: “It is a war show first and foremost. The audience should never get too attached to any single character because you never know when they may not be around anymore.”
    I hope they don't kill Lee! That would stink!

Also interesting...

On this side of the pond, look for a Battlestar prequel series called Caprica, now in the early stages of development. Though it takes place on a distant planet, Eick says it will be “more like Dallas than it is like Star Trek.” And in Battlestar’s upcoming third season, Xena star Lucy Lawless, a bona fide lesbian icon, returns as a Cylon for 10 episodes.
    If you'd like to read the whole article...it can be found on the out website or you can just click here -->Jamie Bamber in Out Magazine Take a look at it! Any comments?
    sigpic

I'm glad Jamie Bamber is intellegent and mature enough to appear on the cover of a magazine like OUT. I give him alot of credit for being secure enough with himself to do that. If more people in the public spotlight would do things like that maybe it would help destroy the taboo that surrounds homosexuals with certain segments of society.

GOOD JOB JAMIE!!
    Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
      Any comments?
      Well, I think it was a very good interview - but, my personal opinion as an out gay man - is that if BSG is going to introduce gay or bisexual characters, I'd rather it not happen at all than be done in a superficial, "gee, look at how fracking tolerant we are" issue-of-the-week manner. There was an episode of Babylon 5 that did it just right, IMO: Two of the male chartacters (who have been firmly established as heterosexual) are sent to Mars on a covert mission, and their cover is as newlyweds on their honeymoon and it's just not an issue to anyone on screen.

The interview alludes to the infamous interracial kiss between Uhura and Kirk on Star Trek - well, I think it says a lot about how far we've evolved that RDM & DE didn't feel the need to emphasise that Dualla is a black woman who doesn't need any alien mind control to get it on with two (IMNSHO very tasty) white boys. There's still a lot of intolerance out there to interracial and interfaith partnerships out there, but you can make your point without having to spell it out in sixty foot high neon.

BTW, if Jamie Bamber doesn't think he's a slice of beefcake who could turn a vegetarian he's either charmingly modest, his wife is the homicidally jealous type (joke), or he needs his eyes checked.

Comment

Working...
      X