This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo News Article: Ireland is Atlantis

This is probably more suited to Off-Topic or News...Mods, please move if necessary.

Read full story here: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5899085
    (I'm not sure how long Reuters keeps the stories online)
    Ireland Is Lost Island of Atlantis, Says Scientist
    Fri Aug 6,11:52 AM ET
    By Kevin Smith

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

*snip snip*

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains.

"I've looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle -- Ireland."

(As an aside, wouldn't it be funny if the reporter was that Kevin Smith? )
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

That's a new one. I don't buy it, but it sounds interesting.

On second thought, I wonder if the Ancients left anything in Ireland for us.
    Tripudire est irritus
    Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
    We are the Mooninites

Comment

Originally posted by WurdBendur

Guinness?

Comment

That would explain their sudden death!

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          That would explain their sudden death!
          That would explain a lot.
          Tripudire est irritus
          Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
          We are the Mooninites

Comment

Just saw this on Yahoo News....

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 BC, was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains.

"I've looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle -- Ireland."

Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, about 60 miles off the northeastern coast of England, which sank after being hit by a huge floodwave around 6,100 BC.

"I suspect that myth came from Ireland and it derives from Dogger Bank. I think the memory of Dogger Bank was probably preserved in Ireland for around 3,000 years and became mixed up with the story of Atlantis," he said.

Erlingsson links the boundaries of the Atlantic Empire, as outlined by Plato, with the geographic distribution of megalithic monuments in Europe and Northern Africa, matching Atlantis' temples with well-known burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which pre-date the pyramids.

His book, "Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land," calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent.

Previous theories about Atlantis have suggested it may have been around the Azores islands 900 miles west of the Portuguese coast, or in the Aegean sea. Others locate it solely in the long-decayed brain of Plato.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...nd_atlantis_dc
            It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Phft. We all know it's really in the pegasus galaxy
              sigpic

Comment

I heard this on the radio this afternoon - couldn't help myself blurting out loud, "No it's not, you're WAY off!!"
                Luckily there was nobody else in the room at the time...

Comment

I don't believ it either for several reasons.

1. Wasn't Ireland already known about?
                  2. It didn't disappear or was destroyed it was right there afterwards.
                  3. It's Ireland.

I think it was in the Med Sea and when that flooded the the flat land flooded and the mountains around it stopped the water.
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Damn you, I came on to post this!

Anyway, I don't think it's right... it's pretty dry outside my window here

Achill on the other hand... that could be Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                      Damn you, I came on to post this!

Anyway, I don't think it's right... it's pretty dry outside my window here

Achill on the other hand... that could be Atlantis
                      Nah, you'd never fit an advanced city on Achill!!

Comment

It could be anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc
                          Nah, you'd never fit an advanced city on Achill!!
                          Well, it is quite big... plus, Atlantic Drive... coincidence? I think not

Comment

would explain why their "far superior tech lost to the wraith" as the hologram in "rising" said. maybe the wraith were coming and mel gibson tried to repel them.
                            O'neil: speaking of Anubis' secret base, did you find any cool weapons?
                            Carter:.....no.....
                            O'neil: NUTS!

Comment

Originally posted by WurdBendur

They did, an advanced system of transportation called "Luas"

Comment

Working...
                              X