This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitchell: Medal of Honor?

I dont think Mitchells antics in Antarctica quite warrant a Medal of Honor, a bronze or silver star at most maybe, but they dont exactly give out MoH's like tic tacs. Wasn't it only one al'kesh they managed to shoot down?

IMO the guys who were killed while saving his behind seemed more worthy, not to mention the navigator/weapons operator guy behind Mitchell who was KIA

Originally posted by Ivegottheskill
    I dont think Mitchells antics in Antarctica quite warrant a Medal of Honor, a bronze or silver star at most maybe, but they dont exactly give out MoH's like tic tacs. Wasn't it only one al'kesh they managed to shoot down?

IMO the guys who were killed while saving his behind seemed more worthy, not to mention the navigator/weapons operator guy behind Mitchell who was KIA
    Or SG-1 who actually saved the world. Maybe they could have got one not for this particular mission but for EVERY mission in which they saved the world. And how about Hammond, he gave up his nice cushy washington job to LEAD the battle to save SG-1 who saved the world. And yea, there all all the guys that lost their lives. There is no reason why Mitchell should be more honored then any of those other people.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      There is no reason why Mitchell should be more honored then any of those other people.
      Except that the writers seem to have thought that they had to build him up as a hero by any means necessary, whether it made sense or not.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

What I find funny in all this, is in s8 apparently someone did their homework for the Lockdown episode.
        Spoiler:
        The Gold Star that the Russian Col. exists. Here's the linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Star

Comment

I dont think Mitchells antics in Antarctica quite warrant a Medal of Honor,
          Yeah, tell me about it. As other posters have said, it was a ridiculous notion considering that SG1 (or any of the other SG teams or even SGC personnel for that matter) never got it for doing far, far more than Mitchell ever did. I've never understood why what he did in Antartica gained him such kudos and heroic status. It's been a puzzlement since the start of S9.

And for myself - and many other fans apparently - it simply had the effect of giving us more reasons to dislike Mitchell. It's bad form - and an incredibly bad idea if your intent is to introduce a new character into the mix smoothly and in a way that brings most established fans of the existing characters along with you for the ride - to immediately introduce your newbie in such a way as to imply that he's more heroic and more deserving of attention/honour than the established characters who've spent 8 years before he arrived saving the world, nay, the entire galaxy and who are beloved by your viewers!

Very poor judgement on the part of the Boys at Bridge, absolutely guaranteed as it was to raise the hackles of resentment on many fans.

And what makes it worse for me is that - like many of the poor and unwise decisions made by TPTB in S9 - it was entirely unnecessary and could have been avoided if only they'd take a little time and thought to write something a little more in keeping with the established history of the show and world that SG1 inhabits and which fit in more smoothly with the previous eight seasons. It wouldn't have been difficult. But apparently the lazy/most obvious/easiest way out was par for the course with the writing last year.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Ivegottheskill

IMO it is quite simply contrived BS - very bad form from TPKTS.

Comment

I guess if I was going to look at it, they never told us that the others didn't get one and they probably did it just wasn't something that needed to be put into the storyline, or they would have stated something. But just because they said Mitchell hey you got the Medal of Honor, doesn't mean he was the only one...but that's what I would assume (shrugs)

Comment

Originally posted by CCA
                I guess if I was going to look at it, they never told us that the others didn't get one and they probably did it just wasn't something that needed to be put into the storyline, or they would have stated something. But just because they said Mitchell hey you got the Medal of Honor, doesn't mean he was the only one...but that's what I would assume (shrugs)
                So basically you are saying that the most important medal of the US that is rarely ever given out has now just been handed out to a whole bunch of people? Sort of waters down the importance of the medal.

Mitchell should have gotten a purple heart and maybe an air medal or something but nothing he did reached the level of the most impotant\rarely given out medal in the US military.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  So basically you are saying that the most important medal of the US that is rarely ever given out has now just been handed out to a whole bunch of people? Sort of waters down the importance of the medal.

Mitchell should have gotten a purple heart and maybe an air medal or something but nothing he did reached the level of the most impotant\rarely given out medal in the US military.
                  Depending on how many died, and depending on the stakes. I was just giving that other pov since some thought "why didn't the others get one and he did" yes it's contradicting and doesn't make sense but if he got the Medal of Honor who's to say those others did not? Want my opinion, no I know the military and they wouldn't give him that, most the recipients of that Medal died in combat. But being a TV show and about story telling we can just assume that all the others have a Medal as well

Comment

IMHO, mitch getting the cmoh is just a poorly researched ego boo for the character to pump him up and make him more hewoic.

If theyd' googled it at all they woulda realized that the award is NOT handed out like it's candy. Most of the people that receive it receive it posthumously. it's usually given out by the president of the united states and brings with it a ton of perks for the recipient and his family

IIRC, out of hte 3000 or so people th at have received it, just a little over 100 of them are alive.

i think they just pulled the name of a medal out of their hats and didn't bother to research it. (either that or it's a hewoic dream/fantasy of cam's induced by the medcation he was on )

course there are others that believe that it was simply tinfoil covered chocolate

The Air Medal, the Purple Heart, those woulda been fine. but the CMOH is just OTT and a bit disrespectful to the families and recipients that died to receive thiers

shame on them for writing it and shame on the military advisor for not catching/changing it
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                      Yeah, tell me about it. As other posters have said, it was a ridiculous notion considering that SG1 (or any of the other SG teams or even SGC personnel for that matter) never got it for doing far, far more than Mitchell ever did. I've never understood why what he did in Antartica gained him such kudos and heroic status. It's been a puzzlement since the start of S9.

And for myself - and many other fans apparently - it simply had the effect of giving us more reasons to dislike Mitchell. It's bad form - and an incredibly bad idea if your intent is to introduce a new character into the mix smoothly and in a way that brings most established fans of the existing characters along with you for the ride - to immediately introduce your newbie in such a way as to imply that he's more heroic and more deserving of attention/honour than the established characters who've spent 8 years before he arrived saving the world, nay, the entire galaxy and who are beloved by your viewers!

Very poor judgement on the part of the Boys at Bridge, absolutely guaranteed as it was to raise the hackles of resentment on many fans.

And what makes it worse for me is that - like many of the poor and unwise decisions made by TPTB in S9 - it was entirely unnecessary and could have been avoided if only they'd take a little time and thought to write something a little more in keeping with the established history of the show and world that SG1 inhabits and which fit in more smoothly with the previous eight seasons. It wouldn't have been difficult. But apparently the lazy/most obvious/easiest way out was par for the course with the writing last year.

Albion
                      Totally agree!

Comment

Ah, I see this as nothing more than an excuse to take cheap shots at the new guy.

Several of us have often mentioned that there must be something not being told. The thing I get is why is he not ever wearing it? Why did Major Carter give it to him?

One little side note. The MoH has been given as candy at least once, maybe twice, that I know of.
                        The Capt of the USS Liberty was given one for staying on the bridge of his ship until relieved during an attack. Basically it was given to him for a bribe to try to keep him quiet about on unprovoked attack on his ship by our ally, Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                          Ah, I see this as nothing more than an excuse to take cheap shots at the new guy.

Several of us have often mentioned that there must be something not being told. The thing I get is why is he not ever wearing it? Why did Major Carter give it to him?

One little side note. The MoH has been given as candy at least once, maybe twice, that I know of.
                          The Capt of the USS Liberty was given one for staying on the bridge of his ship until relieved during an attack. Basically it was given to him for a bribe to try to keep him quiet about on unprovoked attack on his ship by our ally, Israel.
                          So should we thow Mitchell in that catagory. He got one because he either knew someone or the USAF didnt want him telling people about the space battle? Ok, if that is written into the script, I can buy that.

EDIT:spelling
                          Last edited by AGateFan; 16 July 2006, 09:31 AM.

Comment

it'll never be written in because it will tarnish the hero image they want to portray
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe

Oh we're not taking cheap shots at the new guy, we're taking cheap shots at the writers for doing such a crappy job at researching such an important medal to the US and such a contrived reason for giving it to Mitchell! As mentioned before there were many pilots in that battle doing the same job as Cam, I just don't see them giving them out like candy to everyone in that battle, it would certainly raise suspicions
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                              X