Underground (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
    Best. Episode. Of. Atlantis. Since. The. Pilot.
    I agree, It was an excellent ep.

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
    "It's atomic readings in Amish-Land; your call!"
    I nearly fell off my couch laughing when he said that.
    sigpic

Comment

The scary thing is, right before McKay made the comment about "Amish Land" I made comments saying that it looked like a planet full of Amish people. Wow, my natural sarcasm is turning into McKay sarcasm...
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Is it just me or did the team's morals flip 180 degrees from last week? How is what the Genii planned of doing any different from what was going to happen in 'Poisoning the Well'? The SGA went all nutzo and cut off all relations with one group who planned on killing the Wraith, but along comes another group who want to kill the Wraith and all of a sudden they're all gung-ho. "Hey, lets help these guys build a nuke but we'll turn our backs on the guys with the anti-wraith injection." How does that make sense?

And before you say something about the high mortality rate, well, that was from the first batch. Who knows, they might be able to fix it in the next couple of weeks, but the SGA will never know cuz they're off helping the shady, lying, sneaky planet build a few nuclear bombs. Which of course could never have any civilian causualties...

And if Teyla is gonna tag along, then maybe she should learn when not to go telling everyone exactly who woke up the bad guys. You could almost see that Shepard wanted to put her on the first puddle jumper back the farmville. And what is with her trying to save the feeder mouse in the Wraith ship? She couldn't figure out that dragging that guy back would slow them down and alert all the bad guys? And guess what Teyla, you signed on to a plan that would NUKE all of these ships. And unless you planned on hoping the Wraith would let you pack all of these people into busses I doubt they would survive the blast. Plus...PLUS she was all for dragging back the feeder mouse but when her partner got stunned, she bolted. She didn't call for help and try to hold off the single Wraith. She didn't go get help and say, 'Hey, we got a man who needs help. Remember when I saved Shepard after he got shot? We should do the same for this new ally'. Nope. She waited until she got back to the ship and said 'oh by the way, your son in law got shot and I left him. Time to go.' Teyla just peeves me because it seems she abandoned her people. Teal'c did basically the same thing but some how when he did it, it was kinda honorable. Teyla just seems like she wanted to move out of the trailer park and into the comfy suburbs of Atlantis... and that aint cool.

Back to the show. Colm Meany was cool. In fact, all of the Genii were great. Sneaky, but great. Hopefully they'll show up again.

D

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
          Is it just me or did the team's morals flip 180 degrees from last week? How is what the Genii planned of doing any different from what was going to happen in 'Poisoning the Well'? The SGA went all nutzo and cut off all relations with one group who planned on killing the Wraith, but along comes another group who want to kill the Wraith and all of a sudden they're all gung-ho. "Hey, lets help these guys build a nuke but we'll turn our backs on the guys with the anti-wraith injection." How does that make sense?

And guess what Teyla, you signed on to a plan that would NUKE all of these ships. And unless you planned on hoping the Wraith would let you pack all of these people into busses I doubt they would survive the blast. Plus...PLUS she was all for dragging back the feeder mouse but when her partner got stunned, she bolted.

D
          Amen. After watching this episode again and reading your post, I have more reasons to be bugged by the illogical parts. Yes, Mckay is funny, I adore him, yes I was glad to see Grodin at the end. I wish he'd come out more, in fact I think they should trade Teyla for Grodin on the team.

How does it make sense that they didn't want to call attention to themselves by using the wraith killing drug in PtW but would by blowing them up? Isolated incident? Blowing up Wraith is only a minor threat to them? or, they wouldn't know who to attack? Thoughts anyone? Happy to debate or arm wrestle.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
            It seems very inconsistent at this point.
            Maybe they haven't had their coffee yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
              '

I still can't figure out what the Wraith are supposed to be. On an individual level, they are so powerful that defeating them seems impossible: they don't seem to age, when they feed they are practically unkillable and so on. But their tech doesn't seem that incredible: the puddle jumper could take the ships out, even an Earth ground weapon could take out a ship, we walk right onto a hive ship--no problems. I still can't see why they ever got close enough to the Ancients to "feed" on them; the Ancients tech seems way superior, and they should have been able to get onto everyone of the hive ships and take them out.

It seems very inconsistent at this point.

J.

Don't get me wrong, I park my but every Friday night to watch SG-1 and Atlantis (just imagine if Sci-fi hadn't canceled Farscape, we'd have a triple header! ). Anyway, so far, from what I've seen, the Wraith shouldn't have been that much of a threat to the Ancients as they are presented now. Here's my supposition on how they challenged the Ancients:

1. The Ancients were small in number. 50,000 or less accompanied Atlantis to the Pegasus Galaxy.

2. The Ancients set out to seed the Pegagus Galaxy with life. Thus they teraformed thousands of planets and created human life on these planets. So in otherwords, these aren't Ancient colonies, they are humans created by the Ancients. So the Ancients allowed the humans to develop from hunter-gathers.

3. When the Ancients stumbled upon and awoke the Wraith, they really had no allies, because even the oldest of the worlds they had created would have been no further advanced, technologically, say than the Romans or the Greeks, circa 100 A.D.

4. Each Wraith ship holds over 90,000 hibernating, hungry, mean life-suckers. There are over 150 Wraith ships.

5. As a result, the Ancients were not overwhelmed by Wraith technology, but by sheer numbers. Even an advanced people like the Ancients, without great numbers of soldiers, fighters, and missles, couldn't have held off a foe like the Wraith forever.

Anyway, at some point, the writers will have to go with something like what I wrote above, or they will have to reveal more of the Wraith's "awesome" powers. But, they need to do one or the other, and soon to make the Wraith seem like a fearsome enemy.

Comment

I liked this episode. I'm finding that each episode continues to have some good character growth.

I'm liking Sheppard, Teyla and McKay the best. Judgement is still out on Ford and Weir. Teyla reminds me of early Daniel. She is naive and trusting. Always looking for the good in others to the point of sometimes being blind to the bad. I see much growth potential in her character.
                Sheppard and McKay, what can I say. They are both great characters and I'm looking forward to some good 'difference of opinion' bantering between them.
                No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  Yes, being able to just click the 'render' button does have a few advantages....
                  Ummm... just being able to click the render button... if only it was that easy... To give you an idea, each frame of the city consists of about 8.2 million pixels, broken down into about 15 layers, z depths, mattes, rgbs etc... which means that for each city establishing shot you get, someone somewhere has baby-sat 124,416,000 pixels, which also means the average city shot can take about 4 solid days of artist-watched render time, 24/7... the "render button" is unfortunately a mythic beauty I am personally seeking! Enjoy those images... our blood is dried into them!

Mark Breakspear
                  Visual Effects Supervisor
                  Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by vfxsoup
                    Ummm... just being able to click the render button... if only it was that easy... To give you an idea, each frame of the city consists of about 8.2 million pixels, broken down into about 15 layers, z depths, mattes, rgbs etc... which means that for each city establishing shot you get, someone somewhere has baby-sat 124,416,000 pixels, which also means the average city shot can take about 4 solid days of artist-watched render time, 24/7... the "render button" is unfortunately a mythic beauty I am personally seeking! Enjoy those images... our blood is dried into them!

Mark Breakspear
                    Atlantis
                    Yes, I know. (I'm a pathetic lowly amateur with Maya) <g> Still, It's probably easier than getting a shot of the real Cheyenne mountain.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, the episodes are definately getting better, but agree that the Wraith seem to easy to overcome.

Comment

Yes, 4-5 wraith seem easily overcome, maybe 8-10, but just say 50,00 wraith a mothership and at least 60 ships, so....
                        ----------

At least 60 ships with 3 million troops who have massive numbers of darts available to them doesn't sound easy.
                        Wier: Nice work Rodney!
                        McKay: Did you ever doubt me?
                        Wier: Yes, several times....
                        [Stargate: ATLANTIS: Episode- 'The Eye' (1x11)]

Comment

The thing about the anti-Wraith drug was that they had to wait for the Wraith to come and eat them. Once the Wraith find out about it, they'll just kill anyone who has the immunity.

With the Genii they were going to nuke all the ships while they were sleeping. It's a slightly more direct approach, and the Wraith don't know it's coming. It'd also be simultaneous, so the Wraith wouldn't have much time to react, if any at all.

Of course, that was when all the Wraith were sleeping. They didn't know about all the other ships, nor did they know that we woke them up.

BYE
                          "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

[QUOTE=Grumpyguy]4. Each Wraith ship holds over 90,000 hibernating, hungry, mean life-suckers. There are over 150 Wraith ships.

{/QUOTE]

Where did you get those numbers from? In "Underground," They said 60 ships, and that's a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by vfxsoup
                              Enjoy those images... our blood is dried into them!
                              Oh, but we do enjoy those images a lot. I do at least. We were simply pointing out that given the current climate in the country, getting more establishing shots of Cheyenne Mountain likely would require selling ones soul... much less one's blood

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                                Oh, but we do enjoy those images a lot. I do at least. We were simply pointing out that given the current climate in the country, getting more establishing shots of Cheyenne Mountain likely would require selling ones soul... much less one's blood
                                I work in television... what is this "soul" thing you mention?

Mark Breakspear
                                Atlantis

Comment

Working...
                                X